HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 9:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post
I’m afraid the old spire site will be nothing more than a park .
that's a very nonsensical fear.

something will eventually be built on this site.

when and what are the questions.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:28 PM

Especially with how many businesses are expanding here or relocating here (either from the suburbs or out of state).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that's a very nonsensical fear.

something will eventually be built on this site.

when and what are the questions.

I hope you’re right but something should had happen by now. I think we will be all disappointed.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:52 AM

Hopefully a megatall will rise

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
I hope you’re right but something should had happen by now. I think we will be all disappointed.
The reason nothing has happened by now is because of the significance and ability to make profit from the site. The land is very expensive because there's so much potential. So there's essentially 0% chance that someone will spend $80,000,000 on the land and then build something small and ugly. Or turn it into a park. In EVERY circumstance, they would sit on it or sell it to someone who wanted to do something big enough with it that it made an $80,000,000 investment just for the land worthwhile.

Now, that doesn't mean we're going to be happy with what gets built. We may very well be dissapointed compared to our high expectations for the site. But the reason nothing has been built is because the stage is so big and the investment already made in the site is so high that it precludes anything truly dissapointing from being built.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 1:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully something grandiose will rise on this parcel. It seems like there's a curse on this land.

But maybe in time due something will rise. Good things take time I guess.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:20 PM

If you listen to Fran Spielman's interview with Reilly - where this information all originated - he does specifically say that there will be something built on that site and whatever it is will be spectacular. . . noone is dumb enough to think that this site won't be developed into something great. . .

https://chicago.suntimes.com/fran-sp...higan-ave-loop
---fast forward to 21:51 for development discussion

. . .

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

news of 400 N LSD from the article about the tribune tower addition:

Quote:
By RYAN ORI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
NOV 13, 2019 | 1:18 PM

As the Tribune Tower redevelopment moves along, a high-profile site nearby — the former Chicago Spire site — is headed for a second public meeting as soon as the first quarter of next year, Reilly said.

Related Midwest in May 2018 unveiled plans for a two-tower residential and hotel development on the site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, designed by One World Trade Center architect David Childs of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.

A few months later, Reilly announced his opposition to the plan, citing concerns from neighbors about traffic, the height of a podium on which the towers would be built, security along the river and the inclusion of a hotel in the plan.

Earlier this year, the city granted Related Midwest another year to begin construction on the project, allowing more time for the developer to redraw its plans.

Related has until May 2020 to begin work on the 2.2-acre site, which has remained a 76-foot-deep foundation hole for more than a decade.
full article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...tqq-story.html

it looks like we'll finally get to see the revised plans early in the new year.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 13, 2019 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:04 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Good but what on earth took so long?
Large checks take longer to clear

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:18 AM

Assuming these revised plans are approved, ground breaking is in six months at most.

I can live with that.

#saveTheTerracotta

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Assuming these revised plans are approved, ground breaking is in six months at most.

I can live with that.

#saveTheTerracotta
6 months at most? You're joking right?

2021 at the earliest.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:21 PM

Check the most recent article on the previous page. Related has until May 2020 to start work. Same thing was reported a few months back in another article. I'm with you. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize groundbreaking could be next year, I thought it was farther off for some reason. That's really exciting, provided this is still 1100+ feet with the revisions *fingers crossed*

Chicago will always have a supertall or two U/C for the years to come in that case, this, Tribune, Parcel I, NEMA II (potentially)

From what ive gathered form a few articles Alderman reilly said The new plan will be completely different and back to the drawing board to square 1, from what we all know as have seen as the 2 tower project that's gone. Hopefully it will be a bigger singular tower.

Last edited by Hourstrooper; Nov 24, 2019 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 1:31 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Check the most recent article on the previous page. Related has until May 2020 to start work. Same thing was reported a few months back in another article. I'm with you. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah this won't be starting in 2020. Reilly has said there could be a meeting sometime early next year, but nothing more. It's likely that Related will just get an extension on the permitting like they did before.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 4:12 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Hm, I always thought the revisions were going to be minor, I hope that's true though simply due to the prospect of one solo tower.

I really like the current plan but the site is dying for well over 1,100 feet
Time to start wishing upon a star...

EDIT: I really do hope we get some massive supertall here. Don't mind me being a downer.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Last edited by HomrQT; Nov 24, 2019 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 8:54 PM

Related has until May 2020 to start construction on whatever the new design will be. Otherwise, they'll be subject to the new ARO requirements.

If the new proposal is presented in Jan/Feb then gets approved in the following 3 months, I can see them breaking ground by the end of May assuming they have financing arranged/in place.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Related has until May 2020 to start construction on whatever the new design will be. Otherwise, they'll be subject to the new ARO requirements.

If the new proposal is presented in Jan/Feb then gets approved in the following 3 months, I can see them breaking ground by the end of May assuming they have financing arranged/in place.
What New Aro requirements?

Thought they were to be edited and redesigned by summer 2020 per the new team led by burnett, sigcho, and others

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully something grandiose will rise on this parcel. It seems like there's a curse on this land.

But maybe in time due something will rise. Good things take time I guess.
I'd rather it simply be grand rather than "grandiose." "Grandiose" means grand, but with the added meaning of pretentious and oozing excess. It's not a complimentary word.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 2:46 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Not to bring any negativity to this chat though but I’m afraid the old spire site will be nothing more than a park . We waited for this land to be develop within that last 11 years and nothing more than that has happened. It would of been nice to see the developer combined the two towers to make one whole tower ( 1,900ft ) but anything can happen within the next coming months.
Whatever gets built there requires that Dusable Park be built out by the developer. That's made up of that 3-acre plot of land across LSD to the east from the 400 N LSD site. Given that, it wouldn't make any sense to turn the main site, one of the most valuable plots of undeveloped land between New York and San Francisco, land that already has a mostly-completed foundation suitable for up to a 2,000-foot tower, into a park, too.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Now more than ever would I love to see LSD tunneled from Ohio St to the Grant Park curve.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction