HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I was talking about race, Philly is a minority-majority city. But actually, I was largely mocking the premise of this thread entirely, hence my mention to the 1985 MOVE bombing by PPD in West Philadelphia.

This thread should be closed down.
Why? Because the title is provocative?

It seems to me that Djesus777 created this thread as a place to post his pictures (which I enjoy) but you want it closed down. I'm really not a fan of people trying to eradicate anything with which they don't agree.

Last edited by PHL10; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I was talking about race, Philly is a minority-majority city. But actually, I was largely mocking the premise of this thread entirely, hence my mention to the 1985 MOVE bombing by PPD in West Philadelphia.

This thread should be closed down.
Montreal has 200 ethnic groups, which will place is as one of the most diverse cities in the world. With that said, this has nothing to do with this thread. You can be a negative nancy all you want, but please do us a favour and not respond here. It's just to post pics of the city and for others to see, there's no need for your negative, moronic trolling.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
let's be real here...it's technically both but global corporations of which apparently some of us have worked and some have not, and actual cultural, language, and economic spheres (although less this), mexico is often seperated from north america into latin america.
Continents should be regarded as what they are from a strict geographical and scientific point of view.
They are only pieces of land separated by real wide oceans.

For instance in Europe, we know we've historically been a distinct anthropological group because of early human population movements, but we're no continent per se.
We're only a huge peninsula of Asia. Europe is defined by culture, mostly the ancient Greek and Judeo-Christian stuff, but geographically speaking, it doesn't mean a continent.

I think it's important for everybody to keep this in mind, so people don't feel stupidly, uselessly and artificially separated from others just because of ephemeral cultural or linguistic traits/aspects.

At some point, even Alaska was tied to eastern Russia by some kind of piece of ice long ago.
Otherwise, early humans (like Homo sapiens [sapiens (x2, lol)], our own ass that came from Africa long long ago) couldn't have reached the Americas.

We're certainly a highly selective, but very fragile species. I look around and see plenty of animals that can stand bacteria that would kill me in a matter of days or weeks...
In case of a disaster caused by ourselves and our own stupidity, some smaller and more resistant species would survive us w/o a doubt.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I will repeat no one considers North America just Canada and the U.S.
I think it's ludicrous that you insist that a large group of people think that
Not that I really care either way, but, people from Central America generally don't consider themselves North American. In fact, most countries in Central America even have it on their licence plates ie: Guatemala, Centro America or simply C. A.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Not that I really care either way, but, people from Central America generally don't consider themselves North American. In fact, most countries in Central America even have it on their licence plates ie: Guatemala, Centro America or simply C. A.
I had a friend from Honduras but we've lost touch, haven't spoken to each other in many years, so otherwise I would ask him...

But anyway, from my understanding, Central Americans consider themselves to be Central American because they are taught that "America" is one continent, and America is divided into 3 regions, namely North America, Central America and South America... so they think of themselves as being from the Central America region. I think that's why for some Latin Americans it's annoying when people from the US refer to themselves as "American" when many Latin Americans would consider everyone in the "New World" as being "American."

But please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 12:38 PM

More murals and graffiti from MTL

Source: https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com...ther-artworks/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos