HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 3:30 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
when you breathe, you spew carbon dioxide (oh no) into the air.
there is NOTHING we can do about it

when BURYING our dead, we CAN do something about it.

Quote:
"Pollution" is an embarrassingly bad argument against cremation. Making campfires is as "bad" as cremation according to you.
yeah, right. But the fact is that lots of people die everyday. In about 80 years, all 6 billion humans alive today will be dead. Thats 6 billion bodies to BURN TO ASHES.

Quote:
It takes Carbon and Oxygen for a human to grow from a fetus to full-grown. about as much as is released when the body is burned.
and???

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 3:40 PM

In my experiences the burial/cremation is a nonstarter. Even if you're cremated, people still want a place to visit and remember you by. All the people I've known that have been cremated are interred afterward and given the traditional headstone.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find cemeteries that creepy.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:11 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
when BURYING our dead, we CAN do something about it.
I didn't know burials in Brasil just used a simple burial shroud, I thought Brasil (like, say, the US) used coffins that are far from bio-degradable. If one is buried in a plain wooden box or just a shroud it's bio-degradable and less harmful to the enviorment (as long as the body isn't full of chemicals and metals) - as long as there is ample space to bury and to let it take the time it does to degrade.
Cremation also allows for the pollutants to be cleaned before the "exhausts" are released into the atmosphere. Afaik that's standard. Cremation is NOT more harmful to the enviorment than the average Western burial.
There's a third way beign developed here in Sweden: freeze-drying the corpses. Then the resulting powder is made free from whatever non-natural bits are in there (like artificial hip-joints) and this powder is then buried and is very quickly made part of the eco-system again.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
there is NOTHING we can do about it
One could kill himself...

Quote:
and???
And therefore the total net carbon emission of burning a human is zero. We are just a bunch of carbon that was sucked from the air in the first place, burning us just puts the carbon back where it was...

The only reason burning fossil fuels is such a problem is because that carbon is all stored under the earth for millions of years and then we come along and let it all out again by burning, that causes a shock, because we let it all out so quickly, which then damages the environment.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:28 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
And therefore the total net carbon emission of burning a human is zero. We are just a bunch of carbon that was sucked from the air in the first place, burning us just puts the carbon back where it was...
well, so lets BURN ALL THE TREES. After all, they also consumed carbon to grow. Therefore, burning all forests, the total net carbon emission from burning trees is ZERO.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find cemeteries that creepy.
cemeteries are fantastic places. full of tiny little skyscrapers. row on row.
modern slabs, art deco columns..the works.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Red face

I would understand this cemitery-bldg to a too dense place like New York or Hong Kong, but in Brazil as a wide country and Santos mainly, too much empty place is already there, there is no sense in doing it. Of course crematory is the best solution and who cares a little bit more Co or Co2 in air when we have millions of cars, trucks, ships and airplanes spelling much more polluents all day long. I did not count people smoking... In acient times the nature had millions of vulcanos spelling dioxides in air and life and evolution continued up to now. Firing someone dead is the best solution in compromise not using too many expensive lands to just have 2m2 for each one personal after life memorial. Better burning someone dead of firing thousands of healthy trees in Brazil as the population does.
This expensive bldg in Brazil for just a complicated cemitery for dead business is another error in Brazil, joining a lot of them. I hope this bldg getting on-hold soon.

The day after...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
I would understand this cemitery-bldg to a too dense place like New York or Hong Kong, but in Brazil as a wide country and Santos mainly, too much empty place is already there
no Santos doesnt have lots of empty spaces, and this vertical cemetery was built exactly because of that.

Quote:
This expensive bldg in Brazil for just a complicated cemitery for dead business is another error in Brazil, joining a lot of them. I hope this bldg getting on-hold soon.
pal... its a fucking PRIVATE building. The company building it certainly RESEARCHED the market before, and saw a need to build it.

if they are wrong, who cares. Its not the fucking government who is spending money.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:24 AM

Quote:
yeah, right. But the fact is that lots of people die everyday. In about 80 years, all 6 billion humans alive today will be dead. Thats 6 billion bodies to BURN TO ASHES.
I don't want to go too off topic from your thread, but, yes, if all 6 billion humans alive today were burned to ashes at the same time, the pollution would make it stiflingly difficult to breathe. However, in a very round about, but very exact way, a human is made from another dead and decomposed human. if 6 billion humans die over the course of 80 years, but an equal number replace them through birth, the net release into the atmosphere and earth is zero.

Quote:
well, so lets BURN ALL THE TREES. After all, they also consumed carbon to grow. Therefore, burning all forests, the total net carbon emission from burning trees is ZERO.
Nowhereman's point wasn't that the net of burning all trees (or humans) is zero, but that the net of burning one human (tree) is basically zero because that human (tree) was made from materials such as CO2 in the first place. If you took a bunch of plants and animals, killed them, rotted them, pressurized them into fossil fuels, and then burned them, there would be no atmospheric affect after all is said and done. If you took billions of plants and animals, turned them into fossil fuels, became accustomed to a world with less CO2 in the air, and then started reintroducing that CO2 into the air very rapidly through fossil fuel use, you might view it as polluting the earth

long story short: cremation does not pollute the earth. Morality, convenience, or preference aside, cremation is a perfectly viable choice. And since important resources such as large expanses of inner-city real estate are uses for dead-burying/dead-honoring purposes, cremation would make more sense. Cremation would also make more sense than using resources to construct a skyscraper mausoleum.

However, I for one have nothing against cremation, mausoleums, or cemeteries. To each his own. I think the tower is a pretty sweet idea

Last edited by Dr. Taco; Nov 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 5:08 AM
Dryer lint inspector

trantor, cool it with the vulgarities please.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 12:44 PM
FUS RO DAH!

ok, sorry J. Got carried away. Maybe because I am not a native english speaker, the F word doesnt sound so "vulgar" or offensive to my ears.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 6:29 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
I don't want to go too off topic from your thread, but, yes, if all 6 billion humans alive today were burned to ashes at the same time, the pollution would make it stiflingly difficult to breathe. However, in a very round about, but very exact way, a human is made from another dead and decomposed human. if 6 billion humans die over the course of 80 years, but an equal number replace them through birth, the net release into the atmosphere and earth is zero.

Nowhereman's point wasn't that the net of burning all trees (or humans) is zero, but that the net of burning one human (tree) is basically zero because that human (tree) was made from materials such as CO2 in the first place. If you took a bunch of plants and animals, killed them, rotted them, pressurized them into fossil fuels, and then burned them, there would be no atmospheric affect after all is said and done. If you took billions of plants and animals, turned them into fossil fuels, became accustomed to a world with less CO2 in the air, and then started reintroducing that CO2 into the air very rapidly through fossil fuel use, you might view it as polluting the earth
ok, you guys have a point. So I was wrong. Sorry

Quote:
long story short: cremation does not pollute the earth. Morality, convenience, or preference aside, cremation is a perfectly viable choice. And since important resources such as large expanses of inner-city real estate are uses for dead-burying/dead-honoring purposes, cremation would make more sense. Cremation would also make more sense than using resources to construct a skyscraper mausoleum.

However, I for one have nothing against cremation, mausoleums, or cemeteries. To each his own. I think the tower is a pretty sweet idea

agreed, I just think it was nonsense some people calling this tower stupid and such. I think its a nice idea, and is for poor people, and even so, it will also generate money.

So I am fine with it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 10:38 PM
Crane Goddess

It's a nice looking tower..seems kind of a shame that only the dead will reside there.
That said, I am not sure what they're going to do with my body when I die. Cremation squicks me right out, and I do not want modern embalming either.
I guess hopefully one of two things-egyptian style mummification might be cool- yes, there are apparently people who still know how to do it, and not as a scientific curiousity. More like a spiritual thing. In a traditional Egyptian mummification, the body is treated with utmost reverance, and the whole process is a deeply religious and spiritual ceremony. Modern funeral home embalming is nothing like that. The body is just another piece of dead meat to process- no reverence there. Hence I want no part of it. Not to mention all those chemicals..ugh.

If mummification's not practical, then I guess I would like something similar to Orthadox Jewish protocol. If my understanding is correct, autopsy and other defilements are forbidden (criminal cases being one of the few exceptions) and the body must be buried within 24 hours. Hence no need of chemical embalming. No defilement to the body- nothing put in, nothing taken out.

Organ donation? I'm hoping that with advances in medical science, by the time I buy the farm, cadaver organs won't be needed anymore.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 10:23 AM
BANNED

Exclamation

My oppinion of organ donations is: I was born with my own all organs and i do not give anyone part of me. As I born I want without changing to disappear of earth with all my own. No authopsy should be made, also no change inside with chemicals or so on. Maybe if cremation of me complete could not be made, then throwing my body inside some vulcano like Etna or something like that. If I reach my almost 100 years age, then making a trip to a vulcan i pulling inside. If cremation is possible, then with all organs inside without changes of authopsy and the rest throwing away in middle ocean from a cruise ship in some coral reef like the one in north Australia. I do not want anyone put the hands inside me. Death is tranquility forever. Maybe should I also write this in my testament. In Brazil it is written in personal documents if people is organ donative or not and all my documents I wrote that... that I am really not organ donated. This is very important.

Please do not put myself in such 30-storey DEATH BUILDING MONUMENT in Santos. This is terrible. The most intimidating & freightening building in earth would ever been built. THIS IS A BIG ERROR. Pyramids in Egypt are also buried monuments, but has a plus more like something mysterious and spiritual for a big construction for just one person. It is like a huge stone sealing just one body waiting for some extraterrestrial to take the rest away somewhere in deep space. It is something special.

In this case is a very tall cheap building with thousand shelves of dead people side by side slowly beeing ate by creepy animals, insects and so on. And this is horrible.

Why the Santistas do not use the same expensive money in building really good and decent houses for everyone who already lives instead of so many slams over there?.... My concerning...

Last edited by M.K.; Nov 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:53 PM

Damn, many living wouldn't mind living at a spot like that.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 7:29 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I think it's a good idea, I always thought about what would happen when space ran out for cemeteries but now I know. It waste less space and all those trees that are going to be saved will create oxygen, much more oxygen than if all those graves in that building were placed over thousands of feet.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkmillenium View Post
My oppinion of organ donations is: I was born with my own all organs and i do not give anyone part of me. As I born I want without changing to disappear of earth with all my own. No authopsy should be made, also no change inside with chemicals or so on. Maybe if cremation of me complete could not be made, then throwing my body inside some vulcano like Etna or something like that. If I reach my almost 100 years age, then making a trip to a vulcan i pulling inside. If cremation is possible, then with all organs inside without changes of authopsy and the rest throwing away in middle ocean from a cruise ship in some coral reef like the one in north Australia. I do not want anyone put the hands inside me. Death is tranquility forever. Maybe should I also write this in my testament. In Brazil it is written in personal documents if people is organ donative or not and all my documents I wrote that... that I am really not organ donated. This is very important.

Yeah, right.

If YOU ever need an organ donation, due to kidney failuire, diabetes, etc... so many reasons... I doubt your view on the subject will stay the same.

You talk about living to 100 yrs old... what if you have some disease and need an organ donation by the age of 25??? Will you just accept to DIE at 25 knowing an organ donation can save your life?

People who are against DONATING ORGANS should be FORBIDDEN to receive organ donations when they are the ones needing it.

Quote:
In this case is a very tall cheap building with thousand shelves of dead people side by side slowly beeing ate by creepy animals, insects and so on. And this is horrible.
How old are you? Do you really think corpses in vertical cemeteries are eaten by creepy animals and insects?

Quote:
Why the Santistas do not use the same expensive money in building really good and decent houses for everyone who already lives instead of so many slams over there?.... My concerning...
Again, how old are you.

Have you ever heard about profit, capitalism, etc?

this is a PRIVATE investment. So the company building it decided it was a good investment, and they have no obligation of spending their money to build houses for the poor, if they wont get the same profit

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture