HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:22 AM
Posh

^
Seriously, great example of the arrogance of warm-weather fans who think that warm weather is ALWAYS desirable. All year long. I mean, I can understand some people who don't like cold weather in the winter, but too many of them seem to assume that EVERYONE hates cold weather and the only reason why some people put up with it is because they're, for some reason, stuck with it. It doesn't seem to occur to them that some people actually LIKE cold in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:38 AM

More power to you folks, but I'll take 45-75 year round, and then vacation to areas with other types of weather. I probably spend an average of 30 days in the winter and 10-15 days in the summer in areas with snow, I just don't want to deal with walking to the office on ice.

BTW - I consider hot weather (above 75, and especially above 85 with any kind of humidity) to be the seventh level of hell. I'll take -10 above that, which is really the reason that I can't ever see myself living east of the rockies full time. Even a month of that shit each year is too much.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 12:56 AM

I hate extremes in all temperatures.

Stifling heat is just as unbearable as frigid cold IMO..This is why I like the Ontario Fall season.September on to late November..Even early December is usually nice and just brisk.The first snowfall is actually nice to see if the snow is gently falling and not a storm..It's the 6-8 weeks after Christmas that sux.

When we were in Vegas a few Novembers back, a local asked me how we can stand living up here in this cold barren land, and I just chuckled to myself and had visuals of both Arizona and Nevada in July. Ditto for those dog days of summer in those humid parts of Florida.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

Jeez, and here I am craving California weather. IDK about you, but NJ spring's are rainy all the time, summer is a soup with lots of humidity, fall is spring 2.0 but nicer, and Winter is razor sharp cold with lots of wind.

We can use some of your Cali weather here. Like all year. The only nice season is fall here, IMO. We get that nice 60-65 degree day, with low humidity if barely any. O man thats nice. But those don't come to often.
Chris, it doesn't get any better than coastal CA. Come on out, you won't regret it!

No bugs. No extreme heat. No arctic outbreaks. Just perfect 330 days/year.

(Although there was frost on the windshield this morning along the coast).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 2:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Honestly it's just as obnoxious as when people go on about "Real Weather includes Seasons". Yeah, we get it you like the cold. Most people tend not to, which is why places like San Diego are generally considered to have the most pleasant climate.

I've lived with winter my entire life and happen to think it's highly overrated.

Last edited by niwell; Dec 19, 2016 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:19 PM

You guys are all being a little bit precious about the weather thing.

I grew up in Chicago, spent my 20s in New York and then moved to London, so it's pretty clear that weather isn't my main criteria in choosing where it is that I live. I'm actually more of a cold weather person than a hot weather person, but mild, dry weather is optimal for most purposes. I can still admit that San Diego's weather is "better" than Chicago's. Too hot sucks, too cold sucks, and the leaves of deciduous trees still change color in the autumn regardless of the temperature. If I want snow, I'll go to the mountains where it has a purpose.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I do miss the four seasons (particularly fall) but don't think I could ever return to a cold climate again. I've been in TX for going on 20 years minus a brief time in NH/ VT and I rather enjoy putting up Christmas lights in shorts in December but I had my share of cold, ice and snow to last a lifetime growing up in Upstate NY.

It wouldn't be bad but the short days November through January make it even worse. Nothing more depressing than being snowed in in bumfuck Vermont in January, 20 below and it's pitch black at 5PM. Fuck that...and VT is my favorite place.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:46 PM

Extremes suck, whether hot or cold. Unfortunately most of the U.S., excepting a small strip of Coastal CA, has some degree of extremes.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:53 PM
Never Dell

I don't love my city's weather either. If every day could be like Seattle in June or September (not July/August) we'd be good. So a couple weeks ago I went to San Francisco...it was frigid, except the day I went to to the Outer Sunset which was also rainy. Worth it for the city (including Oakland via ferry on a sunny, still day), not the weather.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think in the future, the perfect city will have adequate access to fresh water. If there's ever a water crisis that is. Chicago could be one. Being next to the largest (or one of them) fresh water deposit in the world, its at an advantage.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:47 PM
Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Honestly it's just as obnoxious as when people go on about "Real Weather includes Seasons". Yeah, we get it you like the cold. Most people tend not to, which is why places like San Diego are generally considered to have the most pleasant climate.

I've lived with winter my entire life and happen to think it's highly overrated.
I don't like the cold at all... I like living in the different seasons.

San Diego has a great climate... great place to vacation... and it would be a great place to retire to when I'm tired and weaker and have nothing to do but golf, get the mail, and go to the grocery store. Until then, I just happen to find four-seasons cities to be better places, filled with a better stock of people.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
You guys are all being a little bit precious about the weather thing.

I grew up in Chicago, spent my 20s in New York and then moved to London, so it's pretty clear that weather isn't my main criteria in choosing where it is that I live. I'm actually more of a cold weather person than a hot weather person, but mild, dry weather is optimal for most purposes. I can still admit that San Diego's weather is "better" than Chicago's. Too hot sucks, too cold sucks, and the leaves of deciduous trees still change color in the autumn regardless of the temperature. If I want snow, I'll go to the mountains where it has a purpose.
Thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Being next to the largest (or one of them) fresh water deposit in the world, its at an advantage.
there are 3 great deposits of liquid surface freshwater on our planet:

1. african great lakes - 25%
2. north american great lakes - 21%
3. lake baikal - 20%

these 3 great resources account for 2/3 of all of the available liquid surface freshwater on our planet. of course, these amounts are dwarfed by the amount of freshwater trapped underground and locked in ice in the polar regions. and should energy ever become a lot more affordable, desal opens up the possibility of the global ocean as a serious freshwater resource.

liquid surface freshwater may not be the huge advantage of the future that some imagine it to be.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 19, 2016 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

liquid surface freshwater may not be the huge advantage of the future that some imagine it to be.
Actually, transporting all that water as a reliable source to dry cities like Los Angeles is impossible. Southern California can't even tap into the Great Lakes if they wanted to, much less arctic ice. Location is certainly important especially with climate change.

Desalination is a very slippery slope, especially considering efforts to transition to renewable energy resources.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 8:43 PM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
^
Seriously, great example of the arrogance of warm-weather fans who think that warm weather is ALWAYS desirable. All year long. I mean, I can understand some people who don't like cold weather in the winter, but too many of them seem to assume that EVERYONE hates cold weather and the only reason why some people put up with it is because they're, for some reason, stuck with it. It doesn't seem to occur to them that some people actually LIKE cold in the winter.
Lived in Miami for 3 years, and absolutely hated the weather. The combination of heat and humidity was terrible. Dec/Jan was usually the time of the year when the city was more tolerable, although other non-weather aspects still made the place not a favorite in my list.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

Since when is cold weather overrated? You yourself noted more people tend to prefer warmer, more temperate weather, compared to cold weather.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 6:01 AM

Quote:
We can use some of your Cali weather here. Like all year. The only nice season is fall here, IMO. We get that nice 60-65 degree day, with low humidity if barely any. O man thats nice. But those don't come to often.
Sure as long as you give us a few buckets of your water.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
^
That's why you go to resorts and certain climates in the winter.

Granted, weather that gets too warm sucks also (it's unbearable around here in the summer, especially without AC) but you can have the best of all worlds. It's no different than people that live in cold climates that migrate and vacation to southern climates in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:16 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to a city and its climate. For me, I need four distinct seasons. I've been to many places that have more stable climates (Seattle, San Diego, etc.), but I would never crave having "70 degree sunny days with relatively low humidity" all day every day. I know that's not necessarily true of any of these cities, but still...

Too hot? Escape to the AC. Too cold? Layers. So many people I know complain about the cold, and every time I tell them: It's not that you're too cold, you're just not dressed properly.

Chicago is one of the finest examples of climatic extremes in the world. This past week we dipped to -15 degrees Fahrenheit during the nighttime, but on Christmas Day, it will be 45 and rainy. Variety is the spice of life, so they say...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 1:09 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to a city and its climate. For me, I need four distinct seasons. I've been to many places that have more stable climates (Seattle, San Diego, etc.), but I would never crave having "70 degree sunny days with relatively low humidity" all day every day. I know that's not necessarily true of any of these cities, but still...

Too hot? Escape to the AC. Too cold? Layers. So many people I know complain about the cold, and every time I tell them: It's not that you're too cold, you're just not dressed properly.

Chicago is one of the finest examples of climatic extremes in the world. This past week we dipped to -15 degrees Fahrenheit during the nighttime, but on Christmas Day, it will be 45 and rainy. Variety is the spice of life, so they say...
the western midwest and plains are super-continental. we briefly had 3 F and are looking at 60 F christmas day in st. louis. somewhere out in southern kansas they probably had -10 and will have 60 respectively.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions