HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 12:55 AM

How Vancouver Became North America's Car-Free Capital

How Vancouver Became North America's Car-Free Capital
The city hit a 50 percent “active transit” target, 5 years ahead of schedule. A short film shows how they did it.

Quote:
When it comes to nudging drivers out of cars, Vancouver ranks as North America’s biggest success story.
Fully 10 percent of commutes to work are on bikes, far exceeding U.S. and Canadian cities of a comparable size.
As of 2015, half of all trips within city limits are taken on foot, bike, or transit—a goal the city had hoped to reach
by 2020. Ahead of schedule—and way ahead of its peers on this continent—Vancouver’s “active transit” success
is the subject of a new short documentary by STREETFILMS. In interviews with key planning officials and
advocates in attendance at a summer 2016 placemaking conference, filmmaker Clarence Eckerson traces
the city’s remarkable urban trajectory and shows how Vancouver managed to avoid the planning pitfalls that
claimed so many other towns over the past few decades.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 1:00 AM

Vancouver is much more car-oriented than the other major Canadian cities, so this makes no sense. Montreal and Toronto have significantly higher non-auto share.

And obviously NYC and every city in Mexico is less car oriented than Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 1:04 AM

Huh. This is anecdotal evidence, but it seems like the people I know in Van are bigger car users than the people I know in Toronto or Montreal.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:21 AM
BANNED

is this because of all the empty houses bought with cooked chinese money means no people?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:24 AM

To be honest, if Vancouver (city proper) has reached <50% auto mode share that's pretty impressive. Auto mode share in Vancouver has decreased significantly from 2006 to 2011 so perhaps that decrease has continued and was not entirely due to the opening of the Canada Line.

For Toronto, the biggest area you could take and still maintain <50% auto mode share is basically just Old Toronto as of the 2011 numbers. Adding areas like York, East York, Willowdale, Central or Southern Etobicoke would already bump Toronto over the 50% auto mode share mark. There is about 2% "other" which is other than auto, transit or walk/bike (like what? skateboard? moped?) so depending what other consists of maybe you could add East York or York and still be equal to Vancouver. But even so, that's about 20% of the CMA vs about 25% for Vancouver city proper.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 3:54 AM
BANNED

What are vancouver rents like? I know they have a big problem with housing prices, but I seem to recall rents were fairly reasonable in comparison. Anyone familiar with the market?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2016, 4:39 AM

As always, what about the millions of people in the region that don't live in the small City of Vancouver area?

It is great the central core is doing so well. But the mode shift has to be made in the suburbs. And in that regard, Toronto and Montreal are still ahead of Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 3:01 AM

If you shrank Montreal or Toronto to their "original" sizes in terms of sq km, boothwould easily pass Vancouver. Vancouver looks impressive because the city is only 640,000 while Montreal is 2 million and Toronto is 2.9.

Vancouver has lower density levels than either Toronto or Montreal and significantly lower transit ridership and even lower than Ottawa. Vancouver has doe a lot of things right but due to it's artificially small city boundaries it looks far better on paper than it does i reality. Facts speak for themselves.........despite Greater Vancouver having just 2.5 million, it has the 2nd longest commutes in NA second only to LA.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
If you shrank Montreal or Toronto to their "original" sizes in terms of sq km, boothwould easily pass Vancouver. Vancouver looks impressive because the city is only 640,000 while Montreal is 2 million and Toronto is 2.9.

Vancouver has lower density levels than either Toronto or Montreal and significantly lower transit ridership and even lower than Ottawa. Vancouver has doe a lot of things right but due to it's artificially small city boundaries it looks far better on paper than it does i reality. Facts speak for themselves.........despite Greater Vancouver having just 2.5 million, it has the 2nd longest commutes in NA second only to LA.
Not sure about Montreal, but it actually doesn't seem to be the case with Toronto. If Vancouver (city) really has 50% non-auto mode share, that's about the same as Old Toronto.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 1:14 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

how can vancouver be held up as an example of anything to be emulated? the conditions that created vancouver are so unique and non-repeatable that the lessons for other cities are basically zero. the "remarkable urban trajectory" was all about foreign money laundering and real estate corruption.

Portand+50$ billion in Chinese Capital=>Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
What are vancouver rents like? I know they have a big problem with housing prices, but I seem to recall rents were fairly reasonable in comparison. Anyone familiar with the market?
It is very high. I was paying $1450 a month for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment downtown. Plus another $100 a month for a parking spot. It was a brand new building in a nice area though.

And when I say tiny I mean 465 sq ft not including the big balcony.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
It is very high. I was paying $1450 a month for a tiny 1 bedroom apartment downtown. Plus another $100 a month for a parking spot. It was a brand new building in a nice area though.
That's downright cheap by bay area standards.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:16 AM

Anyone says anything even slightly positive about canada here and they get jumped on immediately. Whats that all about?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:27 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
how can vancouver be held up as an example of anything to be emulated? the conditions that created vancouver are so unique and non-repeatable that the lessons for other cities are basically zero. the "remarkable urban trajectory" was all about foreign money laundering and real estate corruption.

Portand+50$ billion in Chinese Capital=>Vancouver.

C'mon, man. Why comment on something that you have zero information on? Vancouver's current infrastructure, density and overall livability that's highlighted in this article dates all the way back to the 1960s with the protests against a freeway being built in the city, and the literal rise of the Westend. True, it would be difficult to emulate what Vancouver has done, but how it got there is far more complex (and interesting) than "It was all Mainland Chinese money!" If you are truly interested, and not just in here to troll, start by reading these:

https://www.raisethehammer.org/artic...m_in_vancouver

https://www.biv.com/article/2016/4/e...ged-vancouver/

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...velopment.aspx

A very well-researched and entertaining read on the changing face of Vancouver over the years.

https://changingvancouver.wordpress.com/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 4:14 AM

it's great that vancouver has made so much progress with transit and bikes and all that...

but the title of this article is ridiculous.

vancouver is about the same as many other cities in north america (e.g. san francisco) and nowhere near as "car-free" as, say, new york city.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 4:14 AM

Vancouver is just Portland with a lot of overseas Chinese capital.

Montreal is just New Jersey with poutine.

Toronto is just a more prosperous, flip-side Cleveland on a Great Lake.

Ottawa is just Plattsburgh that got chosen a national capital.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 16, 2016 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:30 AM

Quote:

Huh.

I live in Norfolk va in a 600 sq ft apartment for 1250 a month and 55 for parking a month.

Granted it's a really nice place, but 1400-1500 for an apartment seems quite reasonable.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:

If this is CAD (.75 to 1.00) then this is pretty affordable.

1450 CAD = 1087.50 USD

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:39 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Assuming that they're paying with US dollars (for some reason?)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 2:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Assuming that they're paying with US dollars (for some reason?)
It puts it into perspective. An expensive coastal city appears to have relatively affordable rent.

If someone in Tijuana says I pay 10,250 pesos for my ocean front pad! Well that's only 500 USD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions