HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:34 PM

Hey I just wrote the head of NJTransit coming to South Jersey in the Courier Post and now this happens. Neat.

Quote:
NJ Transit studies improvements to Walter Rand center

PAUL NUSSBAUM, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
LAST UPDATED: Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 1:07 AM
POSTED: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 6:15 PM

CAMDEN NJ Transit is spending $300,000 this year to study possible expansion of the Walter Rand Transportation Center in downtown Camden, the new executive director of the transit agency said Tuesday.

The new study comes more than four years after NJ Transit approved - but did not build - a new $3 million bus-loading center at the site.

Plans for revamping the transit center, which connects South Jersey bus routes, the River Line light-rail line, and the PATCO commuter rail line, have been on hold while business and civic leaders debate what needs to be done in the central Camden location.

The new feasibility study is being done by the Stantec Inc. engineering firm "to review our options and see what would be the best use" of the center, said executive director Veronique Hakim on her first visit to South Jersey since taking the post March 1.

Hakim met transit employees and customers at the Camden transportation center Tuesday as part of a statewide "listening tour."
The study is expected to be completed by the end of this year, NJT spokesman John Durso Jr. said.

Transit officials will meet with local government and civic leaders, as well as major employers such as the Campbell Soup Co. and Cooper University Hospital, Durso said.

In 2009, NJT said it would build a new bus-loading center with a canopy, better lighting, closed-circuit cameras, a public address system, and new signs, as well as repaving and streetscape improvements on Broadway.

The Delaware River Port Authority agreed in January 2010 to provide the $3 million for the makeover, and NJT engineers said at the time that construction would start in late 2010 or early 2011 and be completed by mid-2012.

But nothing was built, and the money remains with the DRPA.

A comprehensive remake of Walter Rand, including provisions to connect with a proposed light-rail line to Glassboro, would require more than the $3 million approved by the DRPA in 2010, officials have said.

Hakim also said no plans were in the works to increase rail service to and from Atlantic City.

Any increase would depend on ridership studies showing a demand for more service, she said.

In 2009, NJ Transit authorized a $735,000 study by LTK Engineering Services on how to improve rail service on the Atlantic City Line.

To date, the study has not been released, although service on the line has been reduced.

Hakim said Tuesday that she was not familiar with the study.

She traveled on the Atlantic City Line after meeting Tuesday morning with NJ Transit employees and customers in Atlantic City, and she transferred to the River Line at a newly opened $40 million station in Pennsauken.

Without more frequent train service on the Atlantic City Line, the new station in Pennsauken won't be as useful as hoped, according to a study last year by the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.

"Long wait times . . . would offset the potential time savings that are theoretically made possible by the station and might dissuade some riders from using the facility," said the study by the DVRPC, the agency that oversees federal transportation funding in the Philadelphia region.

Currently, there are 12 trains in each direction daily on the Atlantic City Line, with passengers required to wait as long as 21/2 hours between trains at midday.

The multilevel Pennsauken station opened in October at the junction of the east-west Atlantic City Line and the north-south River Line, which operates between Camden and Trenton. It is designed to allow riders to transfer between the two train lines and speed their trips between points on the two.

Hakim said that "as demand changes, we adjust schedules" and that service planners would examine the use of the Pennsauken station to determine whether schedules should be altered.

The Atlantic City Line is the least-traveled of NJT's rail lines, averaging about 3,450 riders per weekday.

Ridership would nearly double, to 6,760 riders a day, if 20 daily round-trips were available, planners have projected.
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...AxYjZLtHTQq.99

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:32 PM

^^ Thanks for the NJT updates Josef!

Here is an update on the SEPTA King of Prussia Rail expansion:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-rail-analysis

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^ Thanks for the NJT updates Josef!

Here is an update on the SEPTA King of Prussia Rail expansion:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-rail-analysis
Sure thing. I saw that the other day! I'm glad to hear they're still pursuing this. And they're still pursuing the Media/Elwyn extension to Wawa, right?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Sure thing. I saw that the other day! I'm glad to hear they're still pursuing this. And they're still pursuing the Media/Elwyn extension to Wawa, right?
Maybe! Not sure. I would rather see other planned expansions take precedence over a rail expansion to small Wawa though.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 1:49 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Maybe! Not sure. I would rather see other planned expansions take precedence over a rail expansion to small Wawa though.
I hate to burst anyone's bubble about extending the Media-Elwyn line, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon...

Here in Chester County we (supposedly) had a work-shop about where to take Chesco in the future. One of the planned goals is to have the R5 line possibly as far as Adglen or Parkesburg brought up to code with the rest of the line. I would love to see regional rail possibly serving Valley Township, where I currently live after buying my first house!!

Back to transit and West Chester, I think there is talk of bringing some kind of feeder service that would link Exton and West Chester. Personally, I'd like to see Downingtown and West Chester linked up.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
SEPTA to restore all-night subway service soon
Paul Nussbaum, Inquirer Staff Writer

SEPTA will restore all-night subway service on Fridays and Saturdays, at least temporarily, beginning in June, officials said Monday.

SEPTA's proposed new operating budget for the fiscal year that starts July 1 includes several hundred thousand dollars to run the Broad Street subway and the Market-Frankford subway-elevated line all night on Fridays and Saturdays.

Since 1991, subway service has been halted between midnight and 5 a.m., with Nite Owl buses substituted on those routes. Increasing nightlife and residential activity in Center City in recent years prompted SEPTA officials to try to bring back the subway service.

Chief financial officer Richard Burnfield said the program would be an experiment from mid-June until Labor Day.

If ridership and customer reaction is positive, SEPTA could continue the late-night service after Labor Day, Burnfield said.
Full article at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...vice_soon.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 3:12 AM

F**king awesome!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 8:22 PM

I'm listening to today's Radio Times piece about the Reading Viaduct, and someone called in to ask about using the city branch for transit again. In their response, one of the guests mentioned an idea to bring a light rail line to the Parkway.

Makes sense to me, since it's so wide, but I'd never heard of that before. Has anyone actually seriously looked at that?

The show: http://whyy.org/cms/radiotimes/2014/...aduct-project/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 8:59 PM

It is my understanding that about 10 years ago they did a study for light rail in the City Branch from Market East to Centennial Hall in Fairmount park

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 8:12 PM

More funding for SEPTA!

SEPTA will recieve $150 million over 9 years thanks to a new Ad deal.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._contract.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:40 AM

SEPTA leaning towards BRT for Roosevelt Blvd.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...velt-boulevard

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:45 AM

SEPTA new payment technology called SEPTA Key

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/0...npt-septa-key/

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:24 PM

SEPTA 24 hour weekend subway service beginning June 15th

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...his_month.html

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
SEPTA leaning towards BRT for Roosevelt Blvd.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...velt-boulevard
Could be helpful but its still a bus and will have to overcome that stygma.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
SEPTA 24 hour weekend subway service beginning June 15th

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...his_month.html
Does exist the chance that this service will become 24/7 ?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:43 AM

More funding for Transit?

Apparently more funding to redo stations inculding City Hall/15th Street subway concourse, a ton of new train cars and vehicles and the expansion of Media Regional Rail to Wawa and Norristown High Speed line to KOP.

The should extend the Norristown Regional Rail line to KOP, I don't understand the logic behind this. And an extension to remote Wawa, PA over the Navy Yard which has 12,000 employees and growing? I'm a little confused by this logic but either way nice to see more funding. The new stations will be nice.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-unfunded-list

Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 10:59 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I came across a fantastic collection of candid and infrastructure shots taken by photographer Mark Romanoff of the Market-Frankford El during the late 70s. There are some images of what the line looked like during construction of I-95 when a section of it was relocated including a few views of the former station at Fairmount that was replaced by the current Spring Garden station.

The link is here.

A view of Mr. Romanoff's images:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:11 PM

That is very cool, thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2014, 2:31 PM

Great article from Jake Blumgart on Next City about improving South Jersey transit.

Quote:
3 Ways to Improve South Jersey Transit (and Lure Commuters Away From Cars)
BY JAKE BLUMGART | NEXT CITY | JUNE 18, 2014

Look at a map of the NJ Transit rail system, and you’ll see that the northern half of the state, in New York’s orbit, is crowded with rail lines. The south, Philadelphia’s orbit, just has one lonely rail line to Atlantic City. But that map is actually a little deceiving. The bones of a pretty good system exist, including the River Line from Camden to Trenton, and PATCO, which is run by the Delaware River Port Authority and shuttles daily commuters in and out of Philadelphia. The existing infrastructure is sound, and there is even talk of a new line from Glassboro to Camden and, more fantastically, a resurrection of the routes that used to connect the shore towns, and Atlantic City with its downbeach neighbors.

But while it is tempting to fantasize about more rail lines, there are also a lot of substantially easier and cheaper fixes that could strengthen the infrastructure as it currently exists. A lot of people disdain public transit because they hate waiting and because, too often, transit officials have not made the process of buying a ride as easy as it could and should be. Here are a few recommendations to give South Jersey the transit it deserves, grow ridership, and lure people away from their cars.
Full piece: http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/sout...e-improvements

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation