HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
An intriguing vision of the Black Forest staff parking lot. I-beams may be the default Ferguson design motif but I'd much rather see the forest return to Black Forest.
They're going to need more than a few I-beams for shaded comfort. That forest was what made the patio such a great place on a summer afternoon. Were the three trees removed as part of the ongoing harsh medicine prescribed for the ash tree blight?

Too bad because that *was* probably the finest treed and licensed boulevard cafe in the city.

The render only shows the northern half where some staff parking was located, are there perhaps plans for the part nearer to the corner?

With new owners, perhaps the plan is to reclaim the currently rented corner retail space and create a modernist glass addition on the south end or something like that. This Hamilton institution hides behind that space, keeping it from projecting a presence commensurate with its local significance.

Okay, that's just what I'd do.

Actually what I would do is keep the trees, but with them now gone a corner addition would at least fix the invisibility problem.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
They now use a portion of it for parking.

That portion is only used for staff parking when it isn't patio season.

I really don't understand why this is getting so much attention. Black Forest has had this patio for years, and it has always had the same footprint as what is shown in the rendering. The only thing new is the update to the fencing.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:50 PM

Any info on 130 York Blvd?

Does anyone have any information on 130 York Blvd? The Sir John A. MacDonald site... I'm doing a little project and I recall seeing a site plan for two towers on the site but I can't seem to find it when searching through this forum. I'm looking for any current information on the site such as development plans, etc.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
Does anyone have any information on 130 York Blvd? The Sir John A. MacDonald site... I'm doing a little project and I recall seeing a site plan for two towers on the site but I can't seem to find it when searching through this forum. I'm looking for any current information on the site such as development plans, etc.
That's the Hamilton Hammer development. You can find the most recent plans and renderings in these threads:
- Global Section Thread
- Local Section Thread

Just so you know, it is most likely being moved to another location, and getting a redesign.

If you're looking up any other developments, check out my Hamilton compilation thread. I have every major development in the city listed with pictures and links to their threads:
- HAMILTON | Development Thread

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like Queen's Park finally going to allow cities to stop giving tax credits to abandon buildings. This should really help the city.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 4:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton can tweak or eliminate its vacant storefront rebates
Hamilton gave out $7M in tax rebates to owners whose buildings are partially or entirely vacant in 2014-2015
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ates-1.3945678

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
There really isn't anything new here.
The render shows, glass panels instead of wood lattice, a new light post, new signage, new greenery of some sort along the wall, hanging lights and potted plants.

Look like an attempt to freshen up the patio and get more use out of it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:54 AM

Three strange infill townhouses on Park between Herkimer and Charlton facing Durand park. Zoning sign was up for years but construction only started this fall. I am curious to see what they look like when they're finished!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:12 PM

I just saw that last night, was planning on asking about it on here today!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:27 PM

Thanks! I'll post my finished product in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
That's the Hamilton Hammer development. You can find the most recent plans and renderings in these threads:
- Global Section Thread
- Local Section Thread

Just so you know, it is most likely being moved to another location, and getting a redesign.

If you're looking up any other developments, check out my Hamilton compilation thread. I have every major development in the city listed with pictures and links to their threads:
- HAMILTON | Development Thread

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I just saw that last night, was planning on asking about it on here today!
Here's a better photo

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/-jm/32487445816/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:00 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Three strange infill townhouses on Park between Herkimer and Charlton facing Durand park. Zoning sign was up for years but construction only started this fall. I am curious to see what they look like when they're finished!

*shudders* 80s "modern" design.. blocky.. geometric..

it loosk even worse considering the grand period home that stands beside it..

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

I just find it hard to get excited about the majority of projects being proposed or built.. it is like any sort of artistic vision is dead - the buildings will collapse in a few decades due to being cheaply and shoddily built - I mean they have started to build condos entirely out of wood again!

The only buildings with artisan details are those that they are "restoring" - anything new is cheap and generic, with the possible exception of the one on king william that they built from scratch, at least that has a stone facade..

and before anyone says its too expensive to build things like they used to be built, they wouldn't be if it was still in demand like it used to be - our city is over 200 years old, with some of the best preserved historical buildings out there, and you can't even be bothered to add a little flair?

Even the architectural elements they could get away with removing on the royal connaught - the metal accents above the doorways, the artistic elements under the windows, they had no issue removing.

I look at old pictures of hamilton and I see class. I see pics of proposed buildings now and all I see are soulless buildings of glass and steel, devoid of any craftsmanship, or ugly boxy buildings. As an artist a part of me dies inside.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:02 AM

Any other details on the future of the Urban Core health centre should it be forced to relocate from Rebecca st?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 4:05 AM

Expect a tower at the site of Lulu's.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Expect a tower at the site of Lulu's.
is the city not buying that parcel of land of 77 and Lulu's for a park.

where is this tower going to fit?

http://www2.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres...Background.pdf

perhaps you're talking about another parcel of land in the area?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:45 PM

Building renovations a sign of changing times on Barton Street Source: CBC Hamilton

No quite downtown but close enough. The old Hendry's Shoes at Barton and Sherman is being renovated. I use to live on the 3rd floor about 25 years ago. It was my first place in Hamilton away from home after college. Good to see.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 4:11 PM

I think it will be slow going, but with rising commercial rents on James North, anyone doing something funky will probably consider Barton.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 7:04 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I think it will be slow going, but with rising commercial rents on James North, anyone doing something funky will probably consider Barton.
Or Cannon. Or Wilson.

Evolution will take time, but it's happening.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 3:28 PM

I don't know if someone wants to make a thread for these townhomes... They're located at 257 (kind of) Park Street South The land was severed from a neighbouring property into 4 lots, so these are freeholds and not condo towns. Despite my digging I can't manage to find anything about these other than the zoning variance which was applied for ages ago.

Last edited by davidcappi; Feb 4, 2017 at 3:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton