HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:18 AM
BANNED

Thats why I roll my eyes at all the pro-diversity SJW NIMBYs who block development in the name of "displacement." If you don't allow any new housing stock to be build then this is what you get.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:11 AM

SF and LA are both terrific and I've always found this perceived rivalry/animosity to be silly. It's mostly perpetuated when sports are involved or a subsegment of snooty SFer's are trying to put their arrogance on display. Basically no one in LA "hates SF." Never heard it once. For the most part, many of us have lived in both, travel to the other with some degree of frequency, and I think genuinely take pride in how spoiled California is with the tremendous variety of amazing places we have to enjoy. If anything, this nonsense seems to lessen as time passes.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:59 AM

San Jose all day!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post

Those who say both cities are more alike than they are different do not know what they are talking about frankly.
agree, I didnt want to be rude but I dont know how anyone could say they are more alike than different. I am from the Boston area but live in the North Bay now and despite the climate difference , SF is more like Boston than it is like any other city i've been to.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
agree, I didnt want to be rude but I dont know how anyone could say they are more alike than different. I am from the Boston area but live in the North Bay now and despite the climate difference , SF is more like Boston than it is like any other city i've been to.
SF and Boston don't seem that similar, at all. Besides being very broadly educated, prosperous and tech-focused, they look and feel very different, IMO.

Pretty much any West Coast city, or CA city, will feel a lot more like the Bay Area than Boston.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Are you sure it's 9%? That sounds very high for the LA metro.

In any case, excepting Boston, that would be very low % for a major metro in the Eastern half of the U.S. I mean, Orange County, which has over 3 million people, doesn't have any notable black presence.
see below

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Are you sure it's 9%? That sounds very high for the LA metro.

In any case, excepting Boston, that would be very low % for a major metro in the Eastern half of the U.S. I mean, Orange County, which has over 3 million people, doesn't have any notable black presence.
Boston about 8-9% metro but about 25% in the city itself so you're spot on.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
SF and Boston don't seem that similar, at all. Besides being very broadly educated, prosperous and tech-focused, they look and feel very different, IMO.

Pretty much any West Coast city, or CA city, will feel a lot more like the Bay Area than Boston.
we agree to disagree. SF and Seattle are Eastern type cities that happen to be on the west coast, IMO. No city in CA feels like San Francisco, at all.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
we agree to disagree. SF and Seattle are Eastern type cities that happen to be on the west coast, IMO. No city in CA feels like San Francisco, at all.
SF and Seattle are very west coast cities through out, I'm with Crawford on this one. I'm quite familiar with the west coast as I was born and raised in Los Angeles (52 years old) and have seen and spent time and many west coast cities. Half my relatives are in the bay area, so I spent enough time visit SF to know what I'm talking about.

With that said, there isn't a city in the U.S. that is exactly alike, there will always be definable differences. But to say SF and LA, or even Seattle don't have similarities, I say those people don't know what they are talking about.

A native familiar with the west coast (specifically cities near the coast) can easily feel at home in LA, SF, Seattle, San Diego, and Vancouver. Not one of these cities seem that different, that they are out of place among their peers in this region. The same can be said about the Northeast, as there are variations in the cities, many can easily identified as northeastern cities in look and feel.

San Francisco elites (mainly transplants) never cease to amaze me. The funny thing is not one of my relatives or friends from the bay area, and many are natives, or have live there for 40 plus years, have never said in my presence that SF is like an east coast city. The majority of my SF relatives and friends have been to the east coast or went to college back east and have commented how different it is from San Francisco.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:50 PM

By the way there are even parts of San Diego that feels like San Francisco.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
If we're talking metro areas SF and LA are very similar. There are places in San Jose/Mountain View/Palo Alto that could be mistaken for any nondescript suburbia in LA. Santa Cruz feels like a quintessentially Southern CA beach town. SF even has its own version of the IE over the hills, with the same dusty subdivisions, mcmansions and strip malls, and the same political/economic/cultural dynamic with the coastal areas. None of these places will ever be mistaken for Boston or any other East coast city.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
SF and Seattle are very west coast cities through out, I'm with Crawford on this one. I'm quite familiar with the west coast as I was born and raised in Los Angeles (52 years old) and have seen and spent time and many west coast cities. Half my relatives are in the bay area, so I spent enough time visit SF to know what I'm talking about.

With that said, there isn't a city in the U.S. that is exactly alike, there will always be definable differences. But to say SF and LA, or even Seattle don't have similarities, I say those people don't know what they are talking about.

A native familiar with the west coast (specifically cities near the coast) can easily feel at home in LA, SF, Seattle, San Diego, and Vancouver. Not one of these cities seem that different, that they are out of place among their peers in this region. The same can be said about the Northeast, as there are variations in the cities, many can easily identified as northeastern cities in look and feel.

San Francisco elites (mainly transplants) never cease to amaze me. The funny thing is not one of my relatives or friends from the bay area, and many are natives, or have live there for 40 plus years, have never said in my presence that SF is like an east coast city. The majority of my SF relatives and friends have been to the east coast or went to college back east and have commented how different it is from San Francisco.
Excellent post. Anyone that doesn't think that the LA area and the Bay area are very similar is wrong, sorry.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Excellent post. Anyone that doesn't think that the LA area and the Bay area are very similar is wrong, sorry.
i was comparing the cities only,not the metro areas . I love LA too so my answer to the question of the thread is yes, of course you can love both cities!............... Thank you to all you guys for a nice discussion. Differences of opinions are what makes the world go 'round. Having lived in the Boston area for my first 58 years and SF Bay area the last two but coming to visit The City on a regular basis since 1970 (Jesus, probably 25 times until i finally made the move, I know! what took so long?) I've always felt that in a lot of ways Boston and SF feel similar. Was moving to and living in the North Bay everything i thought it would be? Yes, and more. I absolutely love it here, off Hwy 12 on the far eastern edge of Santa Rosa.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post

So much to respond to.

Let me start by answering the question: No. It is certainly possible to enjoy and see the value in both cities, as I do, but "love" them the way you may love the one you've chosen as home? I don't think so. As the saying goes, "home is where the heart is"

Now a little background. I was born in Washington DC and raised (after the age of 5) in its suburbs. I went to school in downtown Baltimore among roommates from New York (Brooklyn) and visited that city often enough with them and alone (as I still do). I eventually moved to San Francisco by choice and have now lived there 34 years so, while I'm not a native, I am pretty settled into it as my "home".

All that said, I fall somewhere between the extremes of this east vs west discussion. I think there are neighborhoods in San Francisco such as the Tenderloin and Financial District that remind me a lot of the downtown hearts of certain eastern cities and I believe that I could take a New Yorker to certain streets in SF where they would think they are in New York itself (or I could do the same with a Baltimorean). Outside the heart of downtown, however, the city is solid "west coast" with its hills and ocean views and wooden Victorian architecture and especially its attitudes, all things it shares with its western brethren. LA differs the most because of its size. SF is a square 7 miles on a side, sitting on a hilly peninsula surrounded by water and fanned with winds off the Pacific. LA is huge compared to that and is situated in a mostly flat valley that is not actually on the coast (it has satellite towns that are on the coast, and in the hills, as most know), surrounded by mountains that both bar cleansing breezes and trap pollution. Also, because LA was limited in size by its restricted water supply until that problem was solved in the 1930s, it doesn't have the history or the historical artifacts, including architecture, that SF has.

Let me be clear, then. No one living in SF would mistake the city as whole for Baltimore or Philadelphia or New York. And anyone who did need only walk out the door and look at the grafitti, the street people, the "protest" likely happening down the block, the headlines on the papers in street racks blaring attitudes you wouldn't find in the East. But there are those areas where the physical appearance is close to similar areas in the East and I think more so than areas in other West coast cities. Those areas happen to be where a lot of the hotels where tourists stay are situated such as clustered around Union Square.

For me, the lyrics to San Francisco's office city song (video to follow) says it:

Quote:
It only takes a tiny corner of
This great big world to make the place we love;
My home upon the hill, I find I love you still,
I've been away, but now I'm back to tell you...

San Francisco, open your golden gate
You let no stranger wait outside your door
San Francisco, here is your wanderin' one
Saying I'll wander no more

Other places only make me love you best
Tell me you're the heart of all the golden west

San Francisco, welcome me home again
I'm coming home to go roaming no more
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...ovarious.shtml

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
i was comparing the cities only,not the metro areas . I love LA too so my answer to the question of the thread is yes, of course you can love both cities!............... Thank you to all you guys for a nice discussion. Differences of opinions are what makes the world go 'round. Having lived in the Boston area for my first 58 years and SF Bay area the last two but coming to visit The City on a regular basis since 1970 (Jesus, probably 25 times until i finally made the move, I know! what took so long?) I've always felt that in a lot of ways Boston and SF feel similar. Was moving to and living in the North Bay everything i thought it would be? Yes, and more. I absolutely love it here, off Hwy 12 on the far eastern edge of Santa Rosa.
I actually agree that SF and Boston have similarities. They are my 2nd and 3rd favorite cities in the US after LA and I have visited both many times as well

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 10:58 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

no, it's not allowed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
no, it's not allowed.
I was thinking there must be an app out there like Ashley Madison that can assist those who have a crush on another City than their own, and keep it under wraps. Just wondering.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this discussion. I love LA and I live here. I like SF and am traveling up there a lot for work. It's very difficult to compare just the City of San Francisco to just the city of Los Angeles without talking about metro area, and I know what you mean though. 46 square miles to 469 square miles.

Last edited by hughfb3; Feb 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:34 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Also, because LA was limited in size by its restricted water supply until that problem was solved in the 1930s, it doesn't have the history or the historical artifacts, including architecture, that SF has.
False, false, false and false.

San Francisco and Los Angeles were founded within a few years of each other. Los Angeles had a bigger population than San Francisco in 1920 and was twice the size of San Francisco in 1930. Los Angeles has history, artifacts and its own share of significant "historical" architecture.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
False, false, false and false.

San Francisco and Los Angeles were founded within a few years of each other. Los Angeles had a bigger population than San Francisco in 1920 and was twice the size of San Francisco in 1930. Los Angeles has history, artifacts and its own share of significant "historical" architecture.
True, true, true.

I rather purposefully did not mention the founding. Most California coastal cities of significance, incuding LA and SF, have a history that goes back to Junipero Serra and the missions he founded. But from that point (1700s) to the 1920s SF far eclipsed it for a number of reasons including its superior natural harbor, proximity to the gold (and silver) fields, terminus of the transcontinental railroad and plentiful water supply. Only when technology mooted those factors did LA come into its own. All over SF one encounters 19th century structures and they still make up a significant part of the city. I'm not saying there aren't any in LA but not in the same way. On the other hand, LA may have better examples of 1020s/1930s architecture and development because THAT was when it grew while SF already mostly existed then in a form recognizable today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdoeff/95560980/sizes/o/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions