HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:19 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Disinvestment and lack of opportunity exist in many parts of the western world. Not only black areas. Areas with very prosperous black populations and black leadership, like D.C., also suffered from high homicide rates.

Perhaps economic stress and cultural poverty induces different pathologies in different human populations? E.g. High suicide, child abuse, alcoholism, and overdose death rates in white people; high gun homicide rates and inter-neighborhood strife in black people.

But Black homicide rates in places like D.C. and New York collapsed as the cities became more integrated and prosperous. Perhaps white people moving in also is coincident with the return of authority, attention to crime by the government, and a real police presence on the streets.

So I think the first part of any solution requires the return of the State, so to speak, to areas that have basically devolved to a chaotic war zone without any central authority. Economic development is the next part.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:23 PM

Or perhaps the white disenfranchisement is in lower density areas (Arkansas trailer parks) where violence and homicides can be ignored. I really don't see a difference.

I'm not trying to sugar coat the problem but to suggest that this is some sort of black pathology is ignoring some pretty standard tenets of American and worldwide culture.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:43 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

However it is notable that British Columbia, Canada, the best place in earth (tm) can suffer from 900 fenatyl overdose deaths in 2016, nearly all white people, without any comment or major publicity. while Chicagos 762 homicides, nearly all black, are cause for outcry and trashing of the city w/ attendant discussion/condemnation of urban pathologies in the media.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
However it is notable that British Columbia, Canada, the best place in earth (tm) can suffer from 900 fenatyl overdose deaths in 2016, nearly all white people, without any comment or major publicity. while Chicagos 762 homicides, nearly all black, are cause for outcry and trashing of the city w/ attendant discussion/condemnation of urban pathologies in the media.
Because killing yourself is different than being murdered.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
overdose is not a crime. You are not killing anyone against their will. Clear?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:14 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Both are signs of social pathology, which might be expressed differently across different populations.

Plus, African Americans tend to be overrepresented in drug distribution which generally leads to more killings in all countries.

White men commit suicide (including overdoses)at rates that are probably 10x higher per capita than black women. This is a major crisis that should get as much attention as black homicide.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Both are signs of social pathology, which might be expressed differently across different populations.

Plus, African Americans tend to be overrepresented in drug distribution which generally leads to more killings in all countries.

White men commit suicide (including overdoses)at rates that are probably 10x higher per capita than black women. This is a major crisis that should get as much attention as black homicide.
In many places it does. For instance here in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I see your point, but honestly, if 900 kids in suburban Boston OD'd it would be front page news, while 762 Chicago homicides of largely black/gangbanger/drug dealers would be buried in the back pages until this drug problem is showcased properly for the national audience.

Apparently, Vancouver kids killing themselves with drugs isn't newsworthy in America - nobody cares, just like nobody cares that over 900 people were murdered in 2016 on San Diego's doorstep in Tijuana.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

FWIW the fentanyl crisis has made pretty big headlines in Canada. I wouldn't necessarily expect to see an article about overdoses in an American city in the news here.

Just search "cbc fentanyl" in google and you get a ton of hits.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:

So you're saying Black Americans are responsible for murders in all countries around the world?

And suicides don't get as much as attention because suicide is just that: Suicide...you're taking your own life at your own will. You're not taking someone else's life against their own will.

And the fact that black women commit so little suicide depsite the fact that they're the punching bag of America(they're by far the most insulted women on earth) tells me that they're simply a mentally strong group of people. White men seem to be mentally weak and shallow. Suicide is for people who are mentally weak.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:51 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Suicide is for people who are mentally weak.
I've read this forum for 18 years. This is one of the most ignorant and repugnant things I've ever read here. And that is saying something.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:58 AM

I simply would not believe Chinese crime statistics. It is not in the interest of the Chinese government to public honest statistics.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
FWIW the fentanyl crisis has made pretty big headlines in Canada. I wouldn't necessarily expect to see an article about overdoses in an American city in the news here.

Are you kidding? Some days it seems like there's almost nothing in the news but shocking anecdotes from the "opiate crisis".

And by the way, fentanyl is so 2016. In 2017 we have Carfentanil:

Quote:
U.S. Authorities Pressed China for Action on Deadly Opioid
By JON KAMP and ARIAN CAMPO-FLORES
Feb. 17, 2017 5:30 a.m. ET

China’s crackdown on an extremely potent synthetic narcotic came amid pressure from U.S. authorities and evidence linking it to hundreds of U.S. overdose deaths since it first emerged in Ohio in July.

The drug, carfentanil, has been connected to at least 700 fatalities in states including Ohio, Michigan and Florida, according to data compiled by The Wall Street Journal from county medical examiners and NMS Labs, a private laboratory outside Philadelphia that performs toxicology testing for counties around the U.S.

As of early November, the Drug Enforcement Administration had received notice of 411 drug seizures containing carfentanil from around the U.S. that were analyzed by federal, state and local labs. The agency has confirmed seizures of the drug in at least 10 states, mainly in the Midwest, Appalachia and the South . . . .

Carfentanil is particularly worrisome because of its extreme potency: It is up to 100 times more potent than fentanyl . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-aut...oid-1487327406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post

Apparently, Vancouver kids killing themselves with drugs isn't newsworthy in America - nobody cares, just like nobody cares that over 900 people were murdered in 2016 on San Diego's doorstep in Tijuana.
Ah, I see--it isn't that Americans and their media aren't talking about the situation in America but that Americans aren't talking about the situation in Canada (or Canadians about the situation in America). Well, no because we are focused on our own problem and, presumably, Canadians on theirs. But it is interesting if the Canadian problem is centered on Vancouver which is a wealthy west coast city analagous to Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and San Diego which do not have these problems with Chinese-sourced semi-synthetic opiates so much. They have opiates, of course, just different ones--Mexican sourced heroin especially. In the US, according to the press anyway, the fentanyl (and now Carfentanil) problem is one of poorer whites in Appalachia, a group which is about as different from Vancouver kids as one can get in the developed world. 10 years ago I worked in an opiate treatment center and I do know that back then it would have been very unusual to encounter anyone in SF addicted to fentanyl. Such a person would probably have been in the medical profession with access to pharmaceutical fentanyl. Most of our clients used Mexican tar heroin.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I've read this forum for 18 years. This is one of the most ignorant and repugnant things I've ever read here. And that is saying something.
I've been reading this thread for 16 years and...

"Politically incorrect but I'm guessing because there's no blacks, sorry. Most cities with high black populations have high crime rates, those that don't have low crime rates. Just the facts".

...is probably one of the most disappointing things I've ever read on here...and I used my first post to express that. it belongs on the city data politics forum. Some of us go on forums like this to escape that nonsense.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you're saying Black Americans are responsible for murders in all countries around the world?

And suicides don't get as much as attention because suicide is just that: Suicide...you're taking your own life at your own will. You're not taking someone else's life against their own will.

And the fact that black women commit so little suicide depsite the fact that they're the punching bag of America(they're by far the most insulted women on earth) tells me that they're simply a mentally strong group of people. White men seem to be mentally weak and shallow. Suicide is for people who are mentally weak.
Black men are mentally weak and shallow.

See how insanely rude/predjudice /ignorant that looks? Yeah, that's what you look like.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:24 PM

You just can't make comparisons between two sets of statistics when at least one set is total fiction. Do you people seriously believe Chinese "crime" statistics? Do you even know what is considered a "crime' in China? Do you understand all the reasons these numbers would be pure fiction, starting with the desire of local authorities to please higher authorities by reporting that everything is just great in the PRC and there isn't much crime?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 10:46 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

What can be done about the opioid crisis? Seems like corruption in the medical profession and big pharma is partially to blame

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 8:28 PM

Caucasians and Asians seem to thrive in countries where only one culture exists. For example, Stockholm, tokyo, Seoul, Sydney, Singapore, Auckland, and Beijing. I suppose that when there is little to no diversity, there is more consensus due to similar upbringing. Many of the countries which house the aforementioned have the advantage of geography. They are separated from other countries by oceans, mountain ranges, or isolation due to vast nothingness between themselves and other countries. Strong enforcement of immigration laws have eliminated other cultures from disrupting their status quos and changing their cultures.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 2:09 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor View Post
For example, Stockholm, Sydney, Singapore, Auckland

Huh?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post

dc_denizen doesn't know what he's talking about, as usual.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions