HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:10 PM
I am the law!

Could be. The article isn't as clear cut as you think either. It explicitly states it doesn't know Brookfield's role.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 8:14 PM

^^ Can somebody explain to this guy it's not my arena and not my personal decision what they do with it.

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Are you ever entertaining. Forumers are questioning the need for a new arena when, by your own words, Sasktel Centre is already on par with MTS Centre. Stop being a homer and look at things rationally. You have an arena. It's not downtown but, is spending $100 million to duplicate one downtown really worthwhile? We may obsess about sports facilities and celebrity athletes but, for $100 million, you can add a lot of cultural value currently unavailable anywhere in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:32 PM

If Brookfield bought the dome from Rogers, it would be news. It has not been in the news.

As for what the stadium is doing, it still has concerts. Shawn Mendes played there a few weeks ago. There are few large format tours going on right now, but this is the place to have them. They also have smaller shows here when the former ACC is too busy in the winter. Green Day is booked next summer already.

Other than the dirt infield that was installed a few years ago, they haven't really done much of the other ideas they talked about (part of which was why Mark Shapiro was brought in, because of his experience renovating the ballpark in Cleveland). They gave up on the natural grass idea. I think they are seriously considering how to build a new ballpark. I think they would like to be at their current location, but it would take probably 4 years to tear down and rebuild on that site. I don't know if they would consider playing in Buffalo for those years, but they certainly don't have anywhere closer to Toronto that would be even remotely satisfactory. And even without doing any type of expansion to the ballpark in Buffalo, they would only be a couple thousand a game off what they are averaging this year lol. I would have suggested moving to Montreal for a few years, but they might not come back lol. Anyway, I think Montreal will have a team by the time the Jays were ready to do something.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
If Brookfield bought the dome from Rogers, it would be news. It has not been in the news.

As for what the stadium is doing, it still has concerts. Shawn Mendes played there a few weeks ago. There are few large format tours going on right now, but this is the place to have them. They also have smaller shows here when the former ACC is too busy in the winter. Green Day is booked next summer already.

Other than the dirt infield that was installed a few years ago, they haven't really done much of the other ideas they talked about (part of which was why Mark Shapiro was brought in, because of his experience renovating the ballpark in Cleveland). They gave up on the natural grass idea. I think they are seriously considering how to build a new ballpark. I think they would like to be at their current location, but it would take probably 4 years to tear down and rebuild on that site. I don't know if they would consider playing in Buffalo for those years, but they certainly don't have anywhere closer to Toronto that would be even remotely satisfactory. And even without doing any type of expansion to the ballpark in Buffalo, they would only be a couple thousand a game off what they are averaging this year lol. I would have suggested moving to Montreal for a few years, but they might not come back lol. Anyway, I think Montreal will have a team by the time the Jays were ready to do something.
Any way the BMO could get re-configured for baseball games? Temporarily of course until the new stadium was built

Probably a wild idea, TFC fans would lose their shit if that idea was even entertained.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:07 AM
Closed account

The Skydome has several obstacles against its replacement.

It basically has the best spot in the city for it - aside from the Port Lands, there's not tons of undeveloped land in downtown Toronto. So, if they want to redevelop it, they've got the expense of tearing it down first. Then you have to decide how to coordinate that with the team too.

Rogers got it for a song (IIRC $25 million, maybe?) and any serious stadium proposal would likely cost at least hundreds of millions of dollars. Even with the most generous of government support, none would line up to give Rogers a blank cheque. So, Rogers would be on the hook for hundreds of millions, at least.

The last one might be that Skydome isn't really that bad. It doesn't have the newest features of ball stadiums (I don't know why a stadium needs a fish tank, but hey, whatever floats your boat), but it has lots of revenue-generating boxes (which tends to be a big hangup for owners with old stadiums) and is pleasant enough to enjoy a game in, rain, shine or snow.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:36 AM

Pretty funny to realize that with the dome turning 30 this year, only 6 ballparks are older now. And 2 of the ones that are newer have been or are about to be replaced again (Atlanta, Texas).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:42 AM

I wonder if the Legault government will put any money into renovating the Big O on the inside of the stadium outside of the new roof before the 2026 world cup? With almost 50 year old yellow seats a vacant gaping black hole under the scoreboard of dark nothingness and lower deck seating that is still on a track meant to convert from CFL to MLB and is too far from the field the place leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:48 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I wonder if the Legault government will put any money into renovating the Big O on the inside of the stadium outside of the new roof before the 2026 world cup? With almost 50 year old yellow seats a vacant gaping black hole under the scoreboard of dark nothingness and lower deck seating that is still on a track meant to convert from CFL to MLB and is too far from the field the place leaves a lot to be desired.
The Big O is kind of in a jam regarding the future.

It's not a good MLB venue. It doesn't get much in the way of events. So, that kind of limits the amount of money one can justify putting into it.

It's too expensive to tear down and then you either have a big empty plot of land or have to build a new stadium.

So, kicking the can down the road is the usual option - put enough money into it to keep it going along, but not enough to really revamp it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:57 AM

My gut feeling is they might replace the seats upgrade the scoreboard and put in some temporary stands to fill in the gaps under the scoreboard and the empty areas at the lower deck when in CFL/Soccer configuration. Might cost around 15-20 million maybe? just so it looks presentable at least for the world cup.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
My gut feeling is they might replace the seats upgrade the scoreboard and put in some temporary stands to fill in the gaps under the scoreboard and the empty areas at the lower deck when in CFL/Soccer configuration. Might cost around 15-20 million maybe? just so it looks presentable at least for the world cup.
And grass I believe. I know the women's WC allowed Turf, but I think the mens side still requires grass.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:27 AM

Couple points about the Dome:
i) It's not a good place to watch baseball, even when it's full: it's huge - you're far from the action no matter where you sit; bad sightlines particularly in the 100-level - not enough of a slope; bad aesthetic - too much concrete and plastic. Despite that, I'd be happy with a renovation - I think there's enough potential so that a new stadium isn't necessarily required.

ii) If they built a new stadium, why would they want it on the same site? That's Crown Land. If I'm Rogers, I'd want my own parcel of land to develop so that I get value for my investment. Buffalo? Montreal? Not happening. Ever.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Big renos in the hundreds of millions are planned for the Big O. Been announced already and discussed here.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Big renos in the hundreds of millions are planned for the Big O. Been announced already and discussed here.
My understanding it was only for the roof?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:39 AM
Closed account

Quote:
That's because it's the cheapest option that lets Montreal keep a stadium. My understanding is that the roof is in such a state that it will need significant repair regardless of what they do.

Which makes sense, when looking at the other options, which are:

1. Tear it down and don't replace it. Which involves spending money and getting nothing out of it except some land.

2. Tear it down and replace it with a new stadium without a tenant. That's the most expensive solution and the silliest IMO.

With this option, Montreal keeps a large venue operating for the few times a year they need it. It's the least bad option.

How much does the Big O get used? A few days a year?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
My understanding it was only for the roof?
No. There will be several phases: roof seats lightning boxes etc.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Couple points about the Dome:

ii) If they built a new stadium, why would they want it on the same site? That's Crown Land. If I'm Rogers, I'd want my own parcel of land to develop so that I get value for my investment. Buffalo? Montreal? Not happening. Ever.
What other sites would be as good as the one Skydome is on?

It is at the heart of the city, well connected via transit and has tons of options for entertainment/life outside of it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
No. There will be several phases: roof seats lightning boxes etc.
Do you have any links showing this? I can only find roof discussion when looking it up on google?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:19 AM

Solely replacing the 100 level seats with seats in a baseball only orientation would be huge, even without addressing the slope. The bleachers are ‘fixed’ at least for the season now with the infield changes right?

It would make the Skydome awful for use for soccer and football for sure, but being able to sell more high value tickets would surely make up for it.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 8:19 AM

^There are zero updates on potential Rogers Centre upgrades. I'm not holding my breath for improvements to the seating arrangement or anything else. The Jays re Shapiro have clearly run into some serious roadblocks there.

The Dunedin facility is being overhauled which is good news for the organisation but of no interest to fans, I'd say.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 12:46 PM

Skydome isn't going to be torn down in our lifetimes the heritage aspect and the expense will prohibit it. A major redevelopment would use the shell and roof and build internally from that.

Skydome is fine and with vision and lots of moment it can be back to being a world

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada