HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 6:11 PM

Is the exterior going to get a paint job at all? I don't mind if they are going for a bit rustic but a little paint would be nice..

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 6:54 PM
Community Guy

My guess is that we will see some additional improvements over the next year or two.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:30 PM
Community Guy

Our Downtown playground will be breaking ground next month and open in June. We have raised the capital dollars, but need to put some money in the trust account for operations/maintenance. Join us for a night of entertainment, dinner, and community building.

June 1st
McKay Avenue School

Tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/historic...ts-60157559881

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 6:57 PM
Community Guy

Population densities (km2, generally 2016):
CMA - 123
#YEG - 1,186
Garneau - 11829
Strathcona - 5751
Oliver - 10660
Downtown #Edmonton - 6,197
Downtown Calgary - 10,060

A reminder that we need to continue the push towards the magic number of 25,000 pop for #yegdt, ~14500 today.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 6:50 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
CMA - 123
#YEG - 1,186
Garneau - 11829
Strathcona - 5751
Oliver - 10660

A reminder that we need to continue the push towards the magic number of 25,000 pop for #yegdt, ~14500 today.
I've always wondered what Edmonton's average density would be if you took out all the empty farmland in the NE, or undeveloped land in the SW/SE? As in, just capture the density of the developed area. This has always been a problem of comparing the density of Edmonton to that of any other major city that is usually built-up to its borders and surrounded by developed suburban municipalities on its borders.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:16 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
CMA - 123
#YEG - 1,186
Garneau - 11829
Strathcona - 5751
Oliver - 10660

I wonder what the Downton Calgary boundaries are. Coldrsx, what is the source of the information please. Here is mine: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/C...ntre-City.aspx. You will notice that the areas include are not similar size.

"Downtown Calgary is a region of central Calgary, Alberta, it contains the second largest concentration of head offices in Canada.[3] The region is divided into several neighbourhoods, the Central Business District, Eau Claire, Chinatown, East Village, and the West End. There are a number of districts within Downtown Calgary as well, most of them being within the Central Business District.[4]
Generally speaking, downtown Calgary is bordered by 14th Street W. on the west, the Bow River and Prince's Island Park on the north, the Elbow River on the east and the CPR mainline tracks on the south. The neighbourhoods of the Beltline and Mission to the immediate south are often considered part of downtown, due to the high concentrations of businesses, high population densities, and occurrence of retail and nightlife opportunities, but strictly speaking they are not technically part of downtown."

Makes me think maybe Oliver should be considered downtown not just the Dowtown Community League boundaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Calgary and the core: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/C...ntre-City.aspx

And this sad article sans Edmonton: https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/ar...-cores-context

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Apr 28, 2019 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:57 PM

Oliver is much larger than any of those downtown Calgary "districts", I would consider it more like beltline and mission as your reference suggests.

I would consider Edmonton's downtown districts as CBD, quarters, warehouse, government, rossdale, which would make it just as large as Calgary but much less dense.

Edit.. Bellamy hill area can be considered its own district too.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:38 PM
Community Guy

Construction of our new Downtown playground begins on Monday!

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:02 AM
Community Guy

Very close now.

@ianoyeg

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:29 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 1:13 AM

Good to see!

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 4:11 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:32 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4.audios View Post
Oliver is much larger than any of those downtown Calgary "districts", I would consider it more like beltline and mission as your reference suggests.

I would consider Edmonton's downtown districts as CBD, quarters, warehouse, government, rossdale, which would make it just as large as Calgary but much less dense.

Edit.. Bellamy hill area can be considered its own district too.
Oliver is listed as 1.7 sqkm and the Beltline is listed as 2.9 sqkm if you Google them. The Beltline also includes the Stampede Grounds, so you can probably cut of 25-30% off the area of the Beltline.

The downtown population listed is just the 5 neighbourhoods of downtown, the Beltline is about 25 000 people now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:40 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:26 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ When does it officially open? I will bring the kids to give it a test-run when it does and they can give you feedback!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:28 PM

Are they going to dress up those metal support posts?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 5:50 PM
Community Guy

^^we are working on a grand opening, likely within the next week or two.

^We purposely went with certainly colours to match the 1881 schoolhouse/gazebo...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:23 PM

Is it just the 4 active play stations?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton