HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGrail View Post
I love this shot from Jovonie21 on flickr. Gives the building such a massive quality in the background (like the old towers).
In real life, it is nowhere near as domineering, and its presence from the Village is actually quite minimal unless you happen to be looking down Washington.

Here's a cameo from today's construction update on the WTC Transit Hub.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:33 AM

Did anybody notice that the doghouse has seemed to be taken down?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
In real life, it is nowhere near as domineering, and its presence from the Village is actually quite minimal unless you happen to be looking down Washington.
I suppose it depends on what size of buildings you are usally used to. Because to me the thing is absolutely awe inspiring when I stood next to it. It even looks massive when viewing it from Midtown to me.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Well, at least NYC is one of the few cities where you can lose a ~1400 foot building

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:43 PM

1WTC is domineering yet graceful. The Twins were massive, dominating monoliths; they symbolized brute power and strength. 1WTC is still a very powerful building, but is more graceful in that it tapers as it reaches into the sky. The Twins were beautiful up close, but form far away almost appeared to be windowless. 1WTC is impressive from every angle and from every distance. Yes, it did get value-engineering a bit, but overall it is still a lovely building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 2:59 PM

Yeah I am always amazed whenever I stand next to this building. The last time I was next to it was November, though. I can't wait to see it up close again. I only live 35-40 minutes from the city, and whenever I see the skyline on RT. 17 in Ramsey, NJ, I am awe-inspired.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYdude View Post
Yeah I am always amazed whenever I stand next to this building. The last time I was next to it was November, though. I can't wait to see it up close again. I only live 35-40 minutes from the city, and whenever I see the skyline on RT. 17 in Ramsey, NJ, I am awe-inspired.
you live in NJ and have not been to the WTC since November? COME ON MAN!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 6:55 PM

You see as a New Yorker that lived in the days before 9/11 I still miss and love the Twin Towers a lot more than One World Trade Center, and the reason is in the original World Trade Center there were two dominate buildings anchoring the sky. Every other building at the original World Trade Center were low rise buildings except for Seven World Trade Center, but even then it was small compared to the Twin Towers. There was that strong dominant feeling that made it as American as the Empire State Building. It was a symbol of strength.

One World Trade Center doesn't evoke that feeling. Up close it's massive sure, but it feels like something is missing. It just doesn't do it. It's pretty and all and it is a rebirth of the skyline, but of a different rebirth. It feels rough to me like a housing project on steroids. I feel that David Childs built something that Minoru Yamasaki wouldn't have. It just doesn't evoke that human scale that the original World Trade Center did. Instead of the Twin Towers you now have three skyscrapers at roughly the same height (One, Two, and Three World Trade Center) and three high rise buildings (Four, Five, and Seven World Trade Center). It takes away that dominance the Twin Towers had. It's sad to me.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You see as a New Yorker that lived in the days before 9/11 I still miss and love the Twin Towers a lot more than One World Trade Center, and the reason is in the original World Trade Center there were two dominate buildings anchoring the sky. Every other building at the original World Trade Center were low rise buildings except for Seven World Trade Center, but even then it was small compared to the Twin Towers. There was that strong dominant feeling that made it as American as the Empire State Building. It was a symbol of strength.

One World Trade Center doesn't evoke that feeling. Up close it's massive sure, but it feels like something is missing. It just doesn't do it. It's pretty and all and it is a rebirth of the skyline, but of a different rebirth. It feels rough to me like a housing project on steroids. I feel that David Childs built something that Minoru Yamasaki wouldn't have. It just doesn't evoke that human scale that the original World Trade Center did. Instead of the Twin Towers you now have three skyscrapers at roughly the same height (One, Two, and Three World Trade Center) and three high rise buildings (Four, Five, and Seven World Trade Center). It takes away that dominance the Twin Towers had. It's sad to me.
cosign.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:34 PM

"Human scale" is something no one ever claimed was a quality of the original WTC or the Twin Towers. The plaza and buildings of the WTC were the opposite of human scale. The main difference between the Twin Towers and 1WTC (besides number), is the effect of the materials. The aluminum-skinned Twin Towers looked like two huge blocks of weathered concrete. 1WTC, which is mainly glass, reflects the atmosphere, allowing it to stand out less. It may lack the impression of solidity of the old towers, but it's also far less of a deadening presence.

As we all know, the "image" of strength didn't quite hold up. 1WTC is probably superior to the Twins in this regard as well.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:

Well...it's probably because they are 2 totally different architects, ya know?

I understand what you mean about the dominance. But honestly, even if the Twins were still here, I'm sure other very large buildings would have eventually been built nearby (like another unnecessary 1700 ft condo for billionaires), and probably would have significantly impacted their dominance anyway.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 8:30 PM

To each its own, I personally think this building looks more dominant than the Twins and will be even more so when 2 and 3 get built. 1WTC is quite striking in person, but I think even more so when you see it from a distance. But I'm with Patric989, 1373' doesn't cut it these days as we can expect taller towers to eclipse it in the not too distant future.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 8:43 PM

From last Sunday.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
...I still miss and love the Twin Towers a lot more than One World Trade Center, and the reason is in the original World Trade Center there were two dominate buildings anchoring the sky. ...It was a symbol of strength.

...It just doesn't evoke that human scale that the original World Trade Center did. ... It's sad to me.
I like the new World Trade Center much better because it is human scale in so many ways the original was not...including a public street where an utter barren plaza was before. This new tower, as mentioned before, tapers and reflect the sky. It ascends into the sky with a strong mast reaching upward. The twins were blocky and gray. They were out of proportion with there neighbors, and they were a miss matched pair. One had an ugly mast/antenna on top the other did not.

I will wait to comment on the finished "World Trade Center" until all the building is complete. I never liked the twin towers. The memorial is quite moving....

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:06 AM

Quentin Biles

jeeessus... tell me again how this building does NOT dominate?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 3:23 AM

This is an odd and crazy question but at the same time pretty necessary...does anybody know the angle of the sloped faces of the building by any chance?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
This is an odd and crazy question but at the same time pretty necessary...does anybody know the angle of the sloped faces of the building by any chance?
I think I do. I'll post a proper answer in the morning. I'm rendering a project on this computer so I'll either start my other one in the morning or use this one if I'm done to open one of my models and I'll measure it.
but here is what I can tell you from Zen's blueprints.
496'-2" is the deflection point.
1386'~0" is the top of the parapit.
Both are elevations above datum
parapit width at 45 degree angle from base is ~140'
width of base is ~200'
I'm too tired to do the math, but if anyone feels like doing some trig, be our guest.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 7:52 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with you! Sadly, many people are simply "rationalizers" and they rationalize everything. People always rationalize what is currently happening.

You can see this psychological trend from everyday example. When you buy smaller clothes that do not fit, but when it's hard to get a refund, you somehow rationalize this situation such that it will motivate you to lose weight, etc. People will NEVER ADMIT that he/she made a poor choice.

Since the twins no longer exist and all they see is current 1WTC, no wonder they disregard twins and think 1WTC is superior.

FACT: 1WTC has less floor count of 105 compared to 110 of the original 1WTC, and 1WTC has much less floor space of 3,501,274 sq. ft. compared to 4,300,000 sq. ft. of the original 1WTC.

It's clearly less dominating and has a bit 'diminished' and 'defeatist' nature because it's missing its own twin, but people simply ignore this fact and decorate this type of inferiority with such self-rationalizing words like 'elegant', 'sleek', 'slender', 'friendly-scale', or '21st century-looking', etc.

Last edited by Arthurmiles; Jun 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
you live in NJ and have not been to the WTC since November? COME ON MAN!

+1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive