HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's not horrible. This is really a building you have to study to "get it". I don't mind the roof, though I do wish they had done more to conceal/disguise the mechanical penthouse. I do like the large windows looking north and that sign is catchy.
Kevin, I have truly been trying to like or "get" this complex. I really have. I drive past it five or six times a week. I know that parts of the complex look better than other parts. I have studied it. The problem is that damn tower (if you can call it a tower) just looks terrible when approached from the south. I think part of my problem with the building is that is occupies such a prominent location. It truly is at the gateway to downtown Austin. All traffic from the south, including lots of traffic from the airport carrying impressionable visitors, sweeps past and on across the river into downtown. It could have been so much more impressive and dignified without too much extra expense. The whole place has that freeway motel look, but I think that tower looks a lot like a jail building with those narrow bands of windows

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:53 AM

Plain and simple...I said it before, I'll say it again, I don't like it...or the Ashton. But I don't mind the Four Season. To each their own...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:59 AM

Ok, you know what it reminds me of....a building you can buy and build from Ikea.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
Meh. They look like standard suburban business hotels (like the Marriott Courtyard you see right off the highway in every suburban office park area).
This is exactly what I was thinking. It looks like a Holiday Inn somewhere in western Omaha.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. It looks like a Holiday Inn somewhere in western Omaha.
Except even they wouldn't have chosen such a bawdy color scheme.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Except even they wouldn't have chosen such a bawdy color scheme.
Right, I mean, aside from the color M13k nailed it.

I'm not very inspired by it. Do they do a decent job with the street front?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:04 PM

Apparently there is no street-level retail? That would have been a great opportunity to show off the potential of Riverside to visitors, as said before, from I-35 S.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 4:56 PM

Has anyone moved here, known anyone who has or does live here? I'm checking out apts near the lake, I'm very early in looking but a rumor was the rents were a little lower here due to the noise of IH35 and one access in/out. I viewed one unit and its nice, noise was there line a white noise but I might sleep through it. Any advise?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:37 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
Has anyone moved here, known anyone who has or does live here? I'm checking out apts near the lake, I'm very early in looking but a rumor was the rents were a little lower here due to the noise of IH35 and one access in/out. I viewed one unit and its nice, noise was there line a white noise but I might sleep through it. Any advise?
I don't know anyone that lives there but there are several ways to lessen any outside noise with some soundproofing tricks. Find the walls where the most noise comes through, when adding pictures or drapery, add some soundproof insulation foam pads underneath. If most of the sound comes through the windows you could get some heavy curtains that will muffle the noise at least but depends on your taste of window shading. If you look online I'm sure there are other ideas that would work as well.

I like that location and even though car access may not be the best, for those who don't need a car its close to everything whether by foot, bike or bus.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post

I leased a client a one bedroom there, facing I-35 back in Nov, while we search for a home for him.

He loves it. A bit small, but no complaints about the noise.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 11:32 PM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 2:47 PM

I've always liked Riverview, but what's with those French balconies? it seems like the only things they're good for is bikes, kayaks, or a place to smoke.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:32 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've never liked the colors of these apartments. I'm ok with just about everything else.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 6:20 PM

My girlfriend just moved into Riverview into a nice, large 1100 sqft 1 bedroom place. (I'm writing this from her place). She has a great view of downtown and access to the trail, Rainey St, etc. Further east on Riverside is still a little sketchy.

She's only been there 2 months, but it's been great so far.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 7:44 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've never liked the colors of these apartments. I'm ok with just about everything else.
I don't mind the whitish color and the brown is ok, but I wish they'd made the yellow color a bit darker. Maybe closer to orange (burnt orange) or something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:39 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I hate the colors and almost everything else about those buildings. To me it just looks like a cheap p.o.s. slapped together by some disinterested corporation with no imagination. The trees around it desperately need to age about 100 years, immediately. That will break up the visual monotony.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:01 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I actually love this project...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:43 AM

I like it up until wwm4 said he did. Now I can't stand it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 5:38 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I like it up until wwm4 said he did. Now I can't stand it.
lol, of course you can't stand it now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 12:33 PM
World Traveler

I can't decide if I like these or not. I think once the area matures and grows in density, they'll feel a lot better. Older trees will help quite a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin