HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 8:54 PM

Cool AUSTIN | Wyndham Austin (Rise on 8th) | 235 FEET | 22 FLOORS | Complete

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 5:43 AM
Meh

Rick Hardin was a partner in the 7 Rio tower at 7th & Rio Grande. I wonder if they're even still planning that one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 7:24 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Rick Hardin was a partner in the 7 Rio tower at 7th & Rio Grande. I wonder if they're even still planning that one.
I hope. That was one of my favorite designs.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 9:06 AM
Meh

I'll see if I still has his contact info. I may send him an email next week. Maybe he'll have some details, too, about what this will look like. I met him a few years ago when they were planning the 7 Rio Tower. He had me add their project to my Lego model of downtown for their presentation to city council.

You can see my model in my signature below.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 2:58 PM

it wasn't shown, but here's the site...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 7:28 PM

and here's a rendering...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That isn't bad. Ofcourse I'm going to give the standard "I wish it was taller", but
definitely not bad.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 1:19 AM
Meh

Not bad. And I'm glad to see something nice that will block 812 San Antonio (building immediately to the north). That building is right at 120 feet. This one should be slightly taller.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 9:24 PM
the air is great up here

I agree this is an attractive concept and probably a good use of the space, which presumably lies in the capitol view corridor.

But will they really ring the parking levels with landscaping? That has the potential of looking very cool but seems like something that could easily be dropped later as impractical. I am a little tired of seeing fanciful renderings intended to build excitement for a project, only to get a finished building that's not quite as nice-looking.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 11:12 PM

Had the same thought about the green "stuff" around the parking! LOL! Doubt that will happen. BUT I hope it will. Would not want to see banks of concrete garages facing the street . That would not make for a good neighbor in that area. It is bad enough what the jail did... lets not see that happen again. The city seemed to ignor the fact that this area is ripe for housing and a pedestrian future. I ride those streets every week. It is a great area to see residential continue to re-setablish itself.

I think the height of the building is well scaled to that area. That will be a very mixed area for years in terms of historical houses , businesses and apartment/condos. I would not want to see much taller in that area. I have hopes that will continue to become a nicely scaled neighborhood. I think mid rises are fine in that area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 11:35 PM
Meh

Yeah, I like the foliage. This building will be fairly prominent despite its relatively short height. That area sits almost 75 feet higher than 360 is just 5 blocks to the south.

It'll be taller on the west side for sure. The elevation of that block drops 36 feet inside of 300 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:48 AM
Meh

Well, I got an email back from Rick today. He emailed me the elevations, and from what I can tell the building will be at least 136 feet 10 inches tall to the main roof. There appears to be a rooftop mechanical penthouse above that which seems to be around 5 feet high. So the building may be around 141 feet tall or so. I emailed him back to ask about that.

For comparison sake, the building will be about the same height as The Nokonah, Milago Condominiums and the Marriott Courtyard. It's a very reasonable height for that area of downtown.

By the way, because of the elevation change of the block, the building appears to be 40 feet taller when viewed from the west versus the east. It's actually only 96 feet tall above the street on the east, while it is 136 feet tall above the street on the west.

I also asked him about the vegetation around the parking levels. I would love to see that included.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:47 AM
~Hook'em~

I really do like this design. Oddly enough I kind of like it because it isn't so tall. =)

I like how that hill there makes it look smaller. I'm not a big fan of anything tall going in from about that spot there on up along that west side of the capitol. I love the great new tall buildings down near the lake, but more and more I miss being able to see the State Capitol building and the UT Tower in our skyline pictures people take of Austin. Both the State and UT are a big part of what makes Austin... well Austin, and I always liked how that has been reflected in our skyline until recently.

Not everything has to be tall to be dense or look good.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 8:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I don't have a problem with tall or dense buildings, remember Austin will never look the same even though many people miss the old days in the respect to the Capital or UT tower being viewed from areas that you cant see them now. The issue is location, location, location. You would not expect a huge tower in that part of downtown, it wouldn't make sense. I also doubt anybody would try to build a tall tower in that area anyways. But I say bring on even taller buildings in the future in the right areas of Downtown. Would love us to beat out Houston in height and have a 1000+ footer yea right in my dreams LOL.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:36 AM

I had to go way back to find this one but JDawg found this fenced off and what looks to be a bit of site work going on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:11 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Very cool.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:22 PM

Cool, I will have to check it out later.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:50 PM

I walk past that block several times a week. I think what is fenced off is just construction prep site for all the street work that has been going on in that area. :-(

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 5:45 PM

The plans on COA site have been approved and released. SP-2010-0294C

Interesting to me that each garage level has its own entrance. Not many bike spots in the garage at all. This is one narrow lot, I wonder how the units will layout, skinny along each side with a hall or cross from north to south. Its hard to tell from the images.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10503939

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
The plans on COA site have been approved and released. SP-2010-0294C

Interesting to me that each garage level has its own entrance. Not many bike spots in the garage at all. This is one narrow lot, I wonder how the units will layout, skinny along each side with a hall or cross from north to south. Its hard to tell from the images.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10503939
Which SP-2010-0294C? There's 001, 002, 003, 004 etc. so on and so forth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin