HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 2:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Amen to burying power lines. They trash the scenery in so much of Austin, especially along Burnet and Lamar. At the very least, they should buried in the densely populated heart of the city.

The Independent developers may not want a 3rd St. bridge, in which case they could have some sway about that. Hmm... hard to say if it would be a better selling point to have the bridge there or to be on a dead end.

The developers likely want it, presumably (note Drummer's comment), because of the better access it would bring to it's residents.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:40 PM
lurker

I had also wondered about the train tracks. Its almost as if they could use some sort of "art wall" around them, mostly to control the noise to the residents. I see tunneling that portion of the tracks to be a difficult and very unlikely task.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 7:00 PM

The sales office is nearing completion.

https://www.facebook.com/independentaustin?fref=photo

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 7:54 PM

Fancy!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 12:04 AM
Honored Member

I'm perplexed. With all the hurdles to jump, and all the delays and uncertainty that seem to accompany any significant development like this, it seems odd that they'd be selling something that only exists as a concept at this point. Might it be further along than we know? In any case, it's very exciting to see this type of concrete evidence that the Independent isn't just a pipe dream.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
I'm perplexed. With all the hurdles to jump, and all the delays and uncertainty that seem to accompany any significant development like this, it seems odd that they'd be selling something that only exists as a concept at this point. Might it be further along than we know? In any case, it's very exciting to see this type of concrete evidence that the Independent isn't just a pipe dream.
I think the main unanswered question about this project concerns the financing. Do they need a certain amount of pre-sales to secure financing? Or do they already have financing? The 5th & West and Seaholm condo towers had financing in place before they started taking reservations. But I suspect this project is not fully financed because developers tend to announce that they have financing because that is a good thing and will spur sales.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I think the main unanswered question about this project concerns the financing. Do they need a certain amount of pre-sales to secure financing? Or do they already have financing? The 5th & West and Seaholm condo towers had financing in place before they started taking reservations. But I suspect this project is not fully financed because developers tend to announce that they have financing because that is a good thing and will spur sales.
My source says this project indeed does have funding.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
My source says this project indeed does have funding.
That's awesome to hear. The fact that construction is slated for October would suggest that they either do indeed have funding or a good marketing pitch.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:51 PM

Potential Spire?

Renderings should be released before the summer because they're going to want a tangible product to sell. Their sales campaign on the Urban Space windows shows block letter quotes that form the shape of a building. The design seems to mirror the leaked model images. For a tower potentially 750' tall, I'm hoping they opt to include a spire to raise its pinnacle height close to 825', similar to how the Fairmont was supposed to be a landmark in the skyline, when the initial height projection actually deserved that 100' spire. Now, the Fairmont is essentially the height of 5th and West with a spire 25% of its size. You'd think the Independent would want to make a similar statement. Does anyone know if there are height restrictions at the Independent site?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:03 PM

Yesterday I walked by the new sales office of the Independant - nice big sign is up in the window and looks like it's only a few wks away from being complete. It's just behind the Urban Space sales office on W 5th which is the primary agent for the building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
This is kinda how 360 was marketed back at the beginning of the highrise apartment boom downtown. There was a bit of skepticism (including mine naturally) at that time regarding whether they could sell enough units and start building. Turns out the units sold very quickly, but, of course, it was a completely different price point.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
There was a bit of skepticism (including mine naturally)
Are you feeling less skeptical about the Independent? I have some doubts. This is such a great project, I'm doing my best to minimize my expectations so that my hopes won't be dashed.

Regarding a spire, that could work well if the design includes the offset sections. The spire could be situated in such a way as to create more visual balance, helping the brain reconcile the counterintuitive look of the tower.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Does anyone know if there are height restrictions at the Independent site?
There are no height restrictions but there are two CVCs on either side which is why they are going up as high as they're planning.

I'd like to see the building itself go up to 800+ feet without a spire.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
There are no height restrictions but there are two CVCs on either side which is why they are going up as high as they're planning.

I'd like to see the building itself go up to 800+ feet without a spire.
An 800 ft tower would definitely make the statement they want to make. I' hoping that this tower will encourage the next big project to aim for 1,000 ft. That seems to be the way we're trending. Ideally that gigantic lot behind the downtown AMLI that is conceptually going to be the civil courthouse /eventual private tower will crack 1,000. The Independent will be crucial in setting a new benchmark to beat. As far as spires, this one may not need it because there seems to be an architectural cube at the top. Ideally that part of the structure will be lit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Ideally that gigantic lot behind the downtown AMLI that is conceptually going to be the civil courthouse /eventual private tower will crack 1,000.
Another good place for a 1,000 footer would be the site of the old post office, on the north side of Republic Square.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Another good place for a 1,000 footer would be the site of the old post office, on the north side of Republic Square.
Why not both haha? Speaking of that lot here's what Austin Emerging Projects has to say about it:http://www.austinemergingprojects.com/

18. Block 52 (C47)
Planned
Developers are exploring options for this full-block site. The project could have as much as 800,000 sq. ft. of office, residential and retail.

For 800,000 sq. ft to translate to a 1,000 foot tower it would have to be pretty thin. I wonder why there would be an 800,000 sq. ft limit on that lot. Hopefully this means there is already a concrete plan out there that is yet to be released.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:42 PM

That description for Block 52 on the emerging projects has been the same for years.

Here's some background info:

Will downtown Austin post office stay or go?
Fate of coveted block downtown unclear
Austin Business Journal
January 14, 2011

Quote:
In 2007, on the heels of a successful partnership that launched the Austin 360 Condominiums tower downtown, Atlanta-based Novare Group Holdings LLC and Austin-based Andrews Urban LLC said they would redevelop the downtown post office site west of Guadalupe Street between Fifth and Sixth streets.

The project, to be built on what city planners call Block 52, was planned be 40 stories and include 550 condos, 150 hotel rooms and ground-floor retail.

Today, however, while the neighboring block, known as Block 51, is moving forward with long-range plans for an International Bank of Commerce tower developed by Endeavor Real Estate, people are at a loss for what’s going on with Block 52.

Unrestricted by the Capitol View Corridor that limits height, Block 52 is appraised at $13 million by the county.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
That description for Block 52 on the emerging projects has been the same for [b]years.[/
Thanks for the info. Now that the post office has actually relocated, I wonder why it's taking so long for developers to move on this one. If the 800,000 sq. ft is outdated, then maybe this lot really could eventually host Austin's next tallest.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Are you feeling less skeptical about the Independent? I have some doubts. This is such a great project, I'm doing my best to minimize my expectations so that my hopes won't be dashed.

Regarding a spire, that could work well if the design includes the offset sections. The spire could be situated in such a way as to create more visual balance, helping the brain reconcile the counterintuitive look of the tower.
Truthfully, I have stopped being surprised about what gets built in that part of downtown. My first reaction to this project was "no way!", but since they are going so far as to open a sales office, I am thinking "well, maybe". I hope it gets built because it is very sexy.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 5:05 AM
World Traveler

I'm really hoping this one happens. What a cool tower this could be - and it'd set the bar higher (no pun intended...okay, maybe a little) for other towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin