HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 2:58 PM
Meh

It has potential I suppose. It could end up having a nice clean look to it. Also, the rendering seems to show the other half of the building having some more glass. In that way, if it really is the case, it could resemble the IBC Bank Plaza where one side of it has square windows with the other side having a curtain wall of glass. It might not be so bad then. Also, I'm kind of liking the idea of having a new building that is not blue. lol

My guess is it'll be somewhere around 170 to 190 feet tall. The Whole Foods HQ is 136 feet, and this looks to be 40 feet or so taller, not counting the mechanical penthouse, which could add another 10 to 12 feet.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 5:39 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

So, it says 16-story, but only shows 14. Either it's higher on the end we can't see, or they're counting underground levels, or we haven't seen the final rendering. Which do you think it is?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:00 PM
Honored Member

I'm starting to like it more, especially with the clearer rendering. Like Kevin said, it has a "clean" look. It's not imposing or monolithic, and it's not a rock star but that's OK. I think it will be a good piece for offsetting and highlighting the rock stars nearby. The creek side is bound to be nice, with the contrast between the bright office tower and the greenbelt.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:25 PM

If you are looking at the building facing east, it is 15 floors above ground. It has several below grade parking levels, 1 level of retail, 4 levels of parking above the retail and 10 floors of office.
If you look at it facing west it will appear as though there are 6 floors of above ground parking making it appear to be 16 floors.
The lower floors you are seeing are just disguised parking levels.
It is about 211 feet tall.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 PM

The building doesn't look bad, as someone stated it looks like an DC office building.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 8:46 PM

Remember this lot has a CVC running through it. So we are only seeing the northwest view. The southeast view could be a wall essentially making this building a triangle if they avoided the CVC completely, maybe just the podium is under the CVC but who know without the height data.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:28 AM
Meh

The civil engineering plans were released, but they don't show the heights. It does say it'll have 15 floors. It also shows it'll have two cranes.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...amar_PLANS.pdf

Also, if you look on the link, there's another file that says it'll have 15 floors.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/2015/150205/

Quote:
Construction of a 15 story concrete shell office building and above grade parking garage (consisting of a Lobby and Retail Level, 4 levels of parking, and 10 levels of tenant office space), with 3 levels of underground parking, at the southeast corner of 6th and Bowie Streets (835 West 6th Street). The Site Plan was previously submitted in 2012 for a Site Plan Permit (Permit No. SP-2012-0036C / UCC-121220-01-01) as the Project Name: Sixth + Lamar East Block. Construction is tentatively scheduled from late March 2015 to early February 2017.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 23, 2015 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 4:45 AM

Pedestrian bridge over Bowie (connecting to Whole Foods corporate?) and pad for future building. Guessing the "future building" will be limited vertically by the CVC but I'm hoping there will be opportunity for street interaction.

Source: ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...amar_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 6:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Pedestrian bridge over Bowie (connecting to Whole Foods corporate?) and pad for future building. Guessing the "future building" will be limited vertically by the CVC but I'm hoping there will be opportunity for street interaction.
I'm unclear on the concept of the pad for future building. Why is it cut diagonally with reference to the 5th and Bowie intersection? Also, what is meant by "pad" in this context? Does it mean that a future building could occupy any or all space within that shaded area? Just as a mental exercise, it's fun to imagine the challenge of designing a building that has that exact shape.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:38 AM
Everywhere all at once

I'd be OK with a building respecting the CVC and housing solely retail, only because since they are calling it the Market District, this project should help perpetuate this area as a retail mecca for downtown and the entire city of Austin. No doubt it's already taking root with the retail shops across Lamar from Whole Foods, but I'd love to see it spread throughout the immediate area.

Also, just spitballin' here, but I go to Whole Foods often and always sort of wish it wasn't facing a parking lot. That lot is actually quite unnecessary to me considering all the underground parking, and I think some of you would agree. I'd love to see that small surface lot (and possibly the one across the street in front of Office Max) turned into a spacious outdoor plaza. It would be a pivot point on which this Market District of sorts could center around. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 1:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

WF would have to number crunch. They probably get more customers using cars than they have capacity in the garage. But if the garage can handle it, a plaza sounds pleasing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 AM

There is something about having a surface lot that makes a shopping area more appealing to some customers. I think a lot of people see having to park in a garage to go to one store a pain and would rather shop elsewhere. I believe that is one issue that some of the stores in mixed use projects have. If people are going to one store specifically, they probably wouldn't have an issue with parking in the garage, but somebody driving by and on a whim decides to stop in, might find it less appealing if they don't see a parking lot.
I personally would love to see less emphasis put on cars or all surface lots put underground to make full use of developed land. But I feel that especially in a place as spread out and "car-cultured" as Austin and Texas in a whole, surface parking brings more casual shoppers in.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:42 AM

Looking at the site plan makes me wonder what the shape of the building will be along the access road. I can't imagine its the shape of the bold line, especially when compared to the rendering. Hopefully its a smooth curved glass wall that follows along the access road.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:01 PM

Regarding the pad: The small text mentioned "vehicular traffic" so maybe that is the only area to support traffic, per the future building design.

Regarding the WF parking lot--I envision that area to be used as a transit plaza for our future gondola system. Next stops east to CBD, south to Zilker.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 9:11 PM
Meh

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:38 AM

Kevin posted this photo in the weather thread that is getting bombarded with Austin weather news. This would be why the developers had trouble getting this project approved due to floodplain issues:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5377

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 4:42 PM

Anyone know if a Waller Creek type of tunnel could work for Shoal?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:10 PM
Honored Member

Going out on a limb with a wild guess, I think there would be more difficulty tunneling near Shoal Creek because it's rockier, whereas the Waller zone is almost ideal for tunneling with softer material. It's also hard to imagine voters approving bonds for a second tunnel, although there are some deep pockets with a vested interest in not seeing a repeat of Memorial Day 1981, when the water was substantially higher.

Where is the weather thread referenced by Hill Country? I'm watching from afar, in relatively dry Seattle (which has received about a foot LESS precipitation than Austin thus far in 2015.) I spent at least 2 hours online last night, ogling video, stories, and images of what is transpiring in Texas. What happened in Wimberley is tragic, entire neighborhoods virtually erased as if by a Cat 5 tornado or hurricane, and potentially several lives lost (haven't seen updates on the missing dozen.)

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Where is the weather thread referenced by Hill Country? I'm watching from afar, in relatively dry Seattle (which has received about a foot LESS precipitation than Austin thus far in 2015.
Your Area's Weather - Version 2.0

edited to add the other thread

Texas Floods

Tech House goes off to Seattle 3-4 weeks ago & all of a sudden we start getting all this rain. Coincidence? I think not.

Lake Travis only has 25 more feet to go.

http://isthelakefullyet.com/

I hope you're coming back soon.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; May 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM. Reason: added link to Texas Floods thread

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Going out on a limb with a wild guess, I think there would be more difficulty tunneling near Shoal Creek because it's rockier, whereas the Waller zone is almost ideal for tunneling with softer material. It's also hard to imagine voters approving bonds for a second tunnel, although there are some deep pockets with a vested interest in not seeing a repeat of Memorial Day 1981, when the water was substantially higher.

Where is the weather thread referenced by Hill Country? I'm watching from afar, in relatively dry Seattle (which has received about a foot LESS precipitation than Austin thus far in 2015.) I spent at least 2 hours online last night, ogling video, stories, and images of what is transpiring in Texas. What happened in Wimberley is tragic, entire neighborhoods virtually erased as if by a Cat 5 tornado or hurricane, and potentially several lives lost (haven't seen updates on the missing dozen.)
Shoal Creek and Waller Creek have similar subsoil conditions. Hard/rock material would be preferable for tunneling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin