HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 5:58 PM
Honored Member

Does anyone know:

The med school was designed and underway within a startlingly short time after passage of the bond measure. Was it already designed before we even voted on it? It's an enormous project and I can't even wrap my head around the amount of planning and logistics that go into something like this. I'm just very impressed by how smoothly things seem to have gone so far. The planning department must not have been involved.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Does anyone know:

The med school was designed and underway within a startlingly short time after passage of the bond measure. Was it already designed before we even voted on it? It's an enormous project and I can't even wrap my head around the amount of planning and logistics that go into something like this. I'm just very impressed by how smoothly things seem to have gone so far. The planning department must not have been involved.
Good question. I know at least some portion would be UT (State) owned, which could impact this. Utility plans were submitted and approved by the city (and noted early in this thread), but that might always be the case, since its utilities. There was also previous mention that the site would be exempt from city-imposed CVCs, but not state CVCs.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:40 AM
World Traveler

That's just nuts. What is that taller structure behind the crane farthest to the right?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's just nuts. What is that taller structure behind the crane farthest to the right?
I think that's the Decker Lake power plant. It stands out in zoomed in shots.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:47 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I think that's the Decker Lake power plant. It stands out in zoomed in shots.
I think you're right; it's in the same sight line as downtown from Barton Creek Mall, according to the trusty Google Earth. It's neat how far out that is yet it still shows up. Cool stuff.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Does anyone know:

When UT wants something done, it gets done. They have friends in all the right places and have an enormous amount of money and influence to boot.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
When UT wants something done, it gets done. They have friends in all the right places and have an enormous amount of money and influence to boot.
...and they can skip the city's development process for the most part.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:56 AM

Here's a nice update with a focus on the cranes from TWC News:

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/new...wn-austin.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:38 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
...and they can skip the city's development process for the most part.
Yeah, there are definitely ups and downs on that...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 4:18 PM

From the end of the video, they plan on opening Red River in May, blaming rain as a factor in the delay.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
From the end of the video, they plan on opening Red River in May, blaming rain as a factor in the delay.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...3588825.735690

New statesman article

Quote:
Red River Street north of East 15th Street, closed for the past year as it was moved slightly to the east to accommodate construction of the new teaching hospital, should open sometime in May, officials said Wednesday.
That reopening will be about five months later than University of Texas officials originally predicted when the road closed last April. Officials said the delay was caused mostly by the complexity of moving dozens of utility pipes and conduits that were under the now-abandoned section of Red River down the hill.

Construction of the new segment of Red River Street is expected to wrap up in mid-April, though drivers may not be ... Read More
Worse yet, from drivers’ point of view, only one of the three lanes in the new section of Red River will be open for the next 15 months or so, allowing only northbound traffic along the roughly 500-foot-long stretch of Red River just north of East 15th. There will also be a one-way-north bike lane available during that time.
I don't mind the delay personally. Traffic hasn't been that bad. I think the one lane closure on MLK at the pointe on rio has been way worse for traffic. That building has been a disaster.

The new road setup looks pretty nice. Bike lanes and such. It does look like there will be no street parking though

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 6:43 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...es-before.html
Quote:
Bills filed to allow for leases at Brackenridge hospital property
Apr 13, 2015, 2:42pm CDT UPDATED: Apr 13, 2015, 5:38pm CDT

Kimberly Reeves
Capitol reporter-
Austin Business Journal

Two bills filed during the legislative session will tidy up some details related to the use of land in Austin now occupied by University Medical Center – Brackenridge.

Monday morning, Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin, introduced Senate Bill 1147 in Senate Stair Affairs. The bill, along with House Bill 2557 already filed by Rep. John Zerwas, R-Richmond, would allow Central Health, the Travis County health care district that owns the 14.3-acre Brackenridge site, to lease parcels of that land to other parties.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 2:06 PM

I don't know how to embed a Vimeo video, but this link has a pretty cool day in the life of the medical center construction video. Lots of crane swinging around.

https://vimeo.com/124892511

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:15 AM
World Traveler

Ha, that reminds me of a lot of the turn of the century videos of people in downtown areas. High speed movement with classical music playing behind it.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:36 AM

No - high speed movement needs fast music from the 1920's. Something like Kitten on the Keys

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:11 AM
Austinite

From Forbes Magazine this week

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsha...cal-education/

Quote:
Forget SXSW - Austin's Most Radical New Idea May Be In Medical Education

Austin, the birthplace of Whole Foods, Dell Computer, Heritage Boot (just bought my first pair), and SXSW (never been) is in the process of launching something even more radical: a fundamentally new way to think about medical education and the role of an academic medical center.

At the core of this effort is a new medical school to be built in Austin, funded in part by revenue from an increase in local property tax (Proposition 1, approved in 2012) and in part by a gift announced in 2013 from the Michael Dell and Susan Dell Foundation, after whom the school will be named. The first class is slated to begin in 2016.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:45 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
No - high speed movement needs fast music from the 1920's. Something like Kitten on the Keys

Video Link
That's great!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
That's a great article, I recommend it to everyone interested in the topic. It's exciting to see the vision for the med school and research center, and how it may contribute to the improvement of medical care and clinician training not just locally but throughout the nation, leading by example and serving as an incubator of new practices and approaches to health care.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
That's a great article, I recommend it to everyone interested in the topic. It's exciting to see the vision for the med school and research center, and how it may contribute to the improvement of medical care and clinician training not just locally but throughout the nation, leading by example and serving as an incubator of new practices and approaches to health care.
Not to go too off topic...but the article is just a puff-piece that doesn't really say anything. The leaders of the school clearly understand that their initial revenue comes from community taxes (they will quickly establish themselves and will have little worry about funding) and are saying the right things to make these stakeholders feel good. And the above quote seems to be evidence that it worked. That's fine, they are just playing the game well and I do not fault them on that at all. But I have to interject on the one thing that they just got obscenely wrong.

Basic scientists run most medical center? I honestly can't believe that this article actually said that. It is so grossly inaccurate that it is insulting to the reader. No one in healthcare can honestly think that the poor surgeons are looking to improve public health but the Ph.D.s are stopping them. Revenue generating clinicians, who also do clinical research, run medical institutions. Those practitioners are certainly all about "defending and augmenting their territory" instead of collaborating inter-professionally because they generate huge amounts of revenue for themselves and their institution. Take a look at any list of Texas state employees salaries and that becomes abundantly clear. Right after UT Austin's athletic department, you will have surgeons and other high value clinicians. The basic scientists are very much lower on the totem pole at any medical school, and it is deliberately misleading to blame any lack of reform on them.

Every academic institution, hell every hospital, is "focused" on improving the health of their surrounding community. I guarantee it's probably in every mission and vision statement or document for strategic planning for anyone associated with healthcare. The only point to say this in the article is to make the reader feel good, and not really say anything groundbreaking. The problem lies in how that is implemented and what true priorities of the institutions will be. To that, nothing was actually really said beyond a few healthcare reform buzzwords every medical school in the country could use.

If you truly are looking at healthcare, almost everyone agrees that the root of the problem is expensively and often ineffectively treating disease late in the game and not focusing on effective primary care early. If that is what they actually do, with a focus on primary care education and inter-professional collaboration, then it will be truly a revolutionary school. However, with UT's track record, I guarantee they will be looking to build some highly ranked and respected specialty programs, and their students will certainly be looking to go into highly specialized and lucrative fields. Which is just like every medical school in the country. I guess we will all have to wait and see as the school establishes itself and starts to grow in prominence, as it most certainly will being at the University of Texas in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:15 PM

April 16, 2015

Looking towards the complex (aka "Little Dubai") from the convention center parking garage that's catty corner to the Hilton Garden Inn & The Sabine.

All these photos are from Brackenridge parking garage (aka the poor man's observation deck)

For reference, here's a diagram showing Phase 1 projects:

And another one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Academic Building:

Hospital:

Teaching hospital in the foreground on the right with parking structure, Medical Office Building & Research Building in the background on the left.

Parking structure, Medical Office Building & Research Building

Parking structure (bottom foreground), Medical Office Building (middle) & Research Building (top background)

Research Building

Overview

Overview

Overview

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin