HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:04 AM
Clearshades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd View Post
I want a Calgary-Edmonton-Banff-Jasper joint bid for the Winter Olympics. I wonder if Edmonton/Calgary could pull off a summer games bid.

I can dream.
You don't have to dream... We set standards for Commonwealt, Universitiade, World Figure Skating Champion, World Curling Championship, World Track & Field, World Jr. Hockey. We are beyond on the Word Map- reinvented it. Don't dream; Just accept and realized what we are!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:16 AM
Clearshades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I was making the comment that that is what we will hear if money was put into the Stadiums if it was only for the stadiums. I got into an argument with some people over the weekend about the need to redevelop the downtown core. Needless to say I got allot of the subsidising millionaires comments. Also “why waste money on something no one wants and will not help Edmonton. One comment was why waste money on Edmonton there is too much crime and it won’t make it better. Another great comment was, Mandel is bankrupting the city. They also found a way to blame Mandel for the lack of an adequate LRT system.

It was a frustrating exercise.

Back to our discussion. I am all for going after the Games if it means updating and adding to our legacy buildings, this would also help build out the airport lands. Look at TOs games village. Dare to dream. Regrettably my sport is not a Commonwealth Games Core Sport.
Dammit Airboy! It is one of the hardest Sports out there. I show you it one more time... You have to stretch out that arm, grab that bottle of beer, retract it back and up to your mouth with your head tilted back! Don't dissapoint me again!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:44 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Time to bring back Games, mayor says
Mandel supports exploring bid to host Commonwealth's athletes again in 2022

Gordon Kent
Edmonton Journal

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Mayor Stephen Mandel enthusiastically backed plans Tuesday to explore an Edmonton bid for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

"I think 1978 (the last Edmonton Games) was a watershed moment for the city, and 2022, almost 45 years later, it would be a nice re-coming out party," Mandel said.

"It's a chance to showcase Edmonton. We have great facilities in the city, so I don't think there would be a huge capital investment with these games other than some expansion. We would obviously have to do some upgrades."...

gkent@edmontonjournal.com
© Edmonton Journal 2012

Copyright © 2012 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...94f6f&sponsor=

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 6:50 PM
Community Guy

Royalty and some very big names are in town!

Edmonton to host Commonwealth Games Federation 2016 General Assembly Oct. 3 to 7

October 3, 2016

First ever Sports Summit highlights Commonwealth and community connection through sport

Edmonton will host the Commonwealth Games Federation’s 2016 General Assembly Oct. 3 to 7, 2016 at the Chateau Lacombe Hotel. The event brings together approximately 300 delegates from across the Commonwealth’s 71 nations and territories, in a major international Congress for the city.

Media are invited to an opening media availability at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016 in the Laronde restaurant (Chateau Lacombe Hotel, 10111 Bellamy Hill Road) to learn more about the Assembly and the Commonwealth Games. There will be a detailed briefing on the running order and media and photo/TV opportunities and announcements through the week

The following individuals will speak:

David Grevemberg CBE, Chief Executive Officer, Commonwealth Games Federation
Rick Powers, President, Commonwealth Games Canada
Reg Milley, Chair, Edmonton Organizing Committee
On Thursday, Oct. 6th the Commonwealth Games Federation and Commonwealth Games Canada will host its first ever Commonwealth Sports Summit as part of the General Assembly. The event will feature keynote addresses, global sports leaders, elected officials and panel discussions designed to deliver the federation’s vision to connect, engage and inspire the Commonwealth and beyond to build peaceful, sustainable and prosperous communities through sport.

Vice-Patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation, His Royal Highness Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, will also attend and speak at the Summit. For more details on the Summit visit commonwealthgames.ca/sportsummit.

Media contact:

Ronna Bremer
Director, Corporate Communications
City of Edmonton
Phone: 780-405-6484

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

Panel to explore pursuit of major sporting events

December 15, 2016

After receiving direction from City Council, the City of Edmonton announced today that it will assemble a small group of Edmontonians to consider and recommend options for pursuing major sporting events.

Operating at arm’s length to the City, this group will consist of up to 10 representatives who will examine the opportunities and challenges of pursuing large-scale single and multi-sport events, including the Commonwealth Games, providing recommendations on the best opportunities for Edmonton’s participation.

“Bidding on and hosting large-scale sporting events are significant commitments. It’s important the City captures the perspectives of Edmontonians and secures grassroots support before we move forward,” said Linda Cochrane, City Manager. “The citizen panel will explore the pros and cons of a future Commonwealth Games bid, along with other large-scale sporting event opportunities, and will prepare a report for the City’s consideration.”

After the City of Edmonton transferred its intent to bid for the Commonwealth Games from 2022 to 2026, Commonwealth Games Canada gave the City right of first acceptance for Edmonton to be the Canadian bid city for 2026. While the original expiry date for that right of first acceptance is January 1, 2017, the City has requested an extension to July 31, 2017.

The group will be named in early 2017 and submit a report to the City Manager by June.

Media contact:

Lori Yanish
City of Edmonton
780-496-2929

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:18 PM
Community Guy

Extension for bid denied.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 3:45 PM
BANNED

Thank goodness.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:59 PM

Yeah...not a big fan for this.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:09 PM
Community Guy

I certainly am as it will bring a ton of people to the city, have huge exposure and direct a large amount of Fed Infra $ to us for LRT and other legacy projects.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Ah yes, a focusing of fed infrastructure dollars for years (at the expense of other more urgent & impactful projects/needs) to prepare for a couple weeks of events that'll never make a good return on the massive investment on "legacy projects" like a giant soccer stadium for our barely-solvent team & helping to fast-track/rush more poorly-thought-out LRT in a city forecasted to have >90% suburban development for the next 40 years all so some people can pretend that we're a "big city" and/or "world class" or whatever else.

Terrible idea. I'm disappointed we're even wasting money on a panel of people to discuss how to approach these fools' errands when we should be running away from them.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:16 PM

Games have my support.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:22 PM
DRINK

Yeah, all those legacy facilities we got from 78 were nothing but a bunch of white elephants....

I'm all for it. Time for many of those facilities to be modernized, and well, this would be a great excuse and spread the costs amongst various levels of government.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Because nothing's changed regarding the cost/requirements of hosting these sorts of games nor their associated "legacy projects" in the last 40 years, no sir.

We built the entire 1978-era LRT system for 1/3 what the broken, janky & terribly planned Metro Line cost us.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:27 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Because nothing's changed regarding the cost/requirements of hosting these sorts of games nor their associated "legacy projects" in the last 40 years, no sir.

We built the entire 1978-era LRT system for 1/3 what the broken, janky & terribly planned Metro Line cost us.
I really don't care about LRT upgrades. If it happens it happens, but that shouldn't be the primary focus here.

Commonwealth, Kinsmen, velodrome, butterdome, maybe an excuse to do something with Northlands to bridge the gap between what it is now and what it needs to become...etc.

I'm not going to pretend to know all the details about host commitments, but lets not compare this to a crooked Olympic bid.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I really don't care about LRT upgrades. If it happens it happens, but that shouldn't be the primary focus here.

Commonwealth, Kinsmen, velodrome, butterdome, maybe an excuse to do something with Northlands to bridge the gap between what it is now and what it needs to become...etc.

I'm not going to pretend to know all the details about host commitments, but lets not compare this to a crooked Olympic bid.
"Commonwealth, Kinsmen, velodrome, butterdome, maybe an excuse to do something with Northlands to bridge the gap between what it is now and what it needs to become...etc. "

Astute comment.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:30 PM

If you ask me, Edmonton should be getting LRT and infrastructure improvements regardless of an event bid.

Last edited by Hallsy's Toupee; Jan 23, 2017 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:33 PM

Here's what I don't like, you have to use a sporting event to get funding to actually make infrastructure investments in these core 'quality of life facilities' or related infrastructure projects,
How much support is for the actual games and how much is for the infrastructure money that comes with it... so yes I support these bids, barely for the event/exposure and heavily for the legacy facilities and infrastructure money they bring that I can use and enjoy for decades after.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:55 PM

2026, let's do this Edmonton.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Don't think we'll get any Federal support for a Commonwealth Games bid in the same year as Calgary is rumored to be bidding on the Winter Olympics.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:43 PM

Why do the Winter Oly's have to be tied to a City/Region? I think there is some sense to make an Alberta bid with the hub in Edmonton. Opening ceremonies, and all events with the exception of bobsleigh, ski jump, and alpine events could be held in the Edmonton area.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton