HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 6:04 PM

^ cool thanks!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:25 PM

Is anyone shocked that this bit of gold is from a SUN writer?
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/0...little-of-that

Quote:
So far, $8 million has been spent by the city on downtown bike lanes.

With apologies to Sir Winston Churchill: Never has so much been spent, on so few, for so little in return.

Here’s a cost-recovery suggestion. Impose a $10 a year municipal licence fee on ALL bicycles to cover the cost of bike lanes — including the bike in your garage you ride once a year. Imagine the squawk!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:23 PM
Community Guy

Information is key Mr. Hicks... he should have tried that.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:29 PM

People still read the Edmonton Sun?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:44 PM

^ certain people...

anyways this narrative that cyclist dont pay for anything is absurd. i am pretty sure i pay property tax and income tax and gst and gas tax and carbon tax. why these morons suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:30 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 3:38 PM

Any idea what the hold-up is with the bike lane on 102 Ave in Oliver? The work looks finished but the barricades are still up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 9:44 PM

Same thing with 105 ave no? Haven't been in couple weeks though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:04 AM

Does anyone know if there's a store in Edmonton that sells European-style cargo/family bikes? Something like this: http://www.nihola.com/products/family.html? We'd like to get one but would rather avoid paying shipping if possible. Thanks!

Also, how is the 102 ave bike lane coming along? Is it grade separated from the street? (We are away for the year and won't be back in Edmonton until January so haven't been able to check it out).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 3:00 AM

I think revolution sells yuba's long bikes, redbike did until recently. Bike bike in Calgary has a couple brands, there's a manufacturer in Ontario (Wike) that has reasonable shipping and some decent options.

Urban Tribe out of Texas has a pre-order discount that may still be available, it looks like a good trike and cheaper than euro options.

We have a Tags 2.0 on order via Indiegogo. It's been a long wait but it's supposed to be close. It's smaller and more nimble than other front-loader options.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
I think revolution sells yuba's long bikes, redbike did until recently. Bike bike in Calgary has a couple brands, there's a manufacturer in Ontario (Wike) that has reasonable shipping and some decent options.

Urban Tribe out of Texas has a pre-order discount that may still be available, it looks like a good trike and cheaper than euro options.

We have a Tags 2.0 on order via Indiegogo. It's been a long wait but it's supposed to be close. It's smaller and more nimble than other front-loader options.
Thanks! You've given me some good things to think about. We've looked into the Taga on Indiegogo but are worried about how long it seems to take to arrive. I didn't know about Urban Tribe or Wike--they both seem like good options and a good price, so thanks!

Have you tried any of these bikes out? We tried the Nihola bike (it's a little more expensive--$3999 at Urkai (https://www.urkai.com/portfolios/nihola-family/). It was a fantastic ride--super smooth, great steering, etc.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:25 PM

No, I haven't been able to try them. I'll let you know when the Taga arrives if you want to take a test drive, should be here soon. It's been a really long wait but it sounds like they're finally on track with their predicted shipping dates - just remember that they mean shipping date from Taiwan, it will take at least 7-8 weeks to arrive.

We were expecting the bike to arrive in july or so, but we're going to miss almost all of this season - my wife's already asking me to clear out the garage for the minivan....

The Taga would have been the ideal solution for my youngest 2 (they turned 1 and 3 in may); if I had known that we wouldn't get it this year I might have gone for something else.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 3:20 AM

Our taga 2.0 family bikejust arrived, and despite the delays we love it. The seats are comfortable for the kids, it handles well (but different from any other bike) and it's not as bulky as most other options.

Now we just need to find lights and locks to make it more useful.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
Our taga 2.0 family bikejust arrived, and despite the delays we love it. The seats are comfortable for the kids, it handles well (but different from any other bike) and it's not as bulky as most other options.

Now we just need to find lights and locks to make it more useful.
Nice. Was it hard to assemble?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 5:07 PM

I see they still haven't finished the 102 Ave bike lane in Oliver. What's taking them so long?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
Nice. Was it hard to assemble?
Not at all. it's actually designed to be broken down and reassembled easily for travel, there are only a handful of extra steps to assemble from how it was shipped. The cargo basket and child seats just slide and lock into place easily

We're impressed with the quality, all the plastic and fabric parts are really solid.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 7:00 AM

I used the new 127 Street separated bike lanes tonight. It's almost complete. One thing that I noticed though that may prevent more cyclists from using it is it's isolated from the city's bike route network. Maybe the City's next project should be adding protected bike lanes along 105 Ave to 121 Street; 109 Avenue to McQueen, North Glenora, and the 121 Street bike path; and 114 Avenue to connect the Superstore, Aviation Museum, 121 Street bike path, Westmount Mall, and the World of Science.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:17 PM

I hear the 102 Ave bike lanes in Oliver are now finally open

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 PM

What do you guys think of the idea of closing partially 110 st just south of grant Mac?
The multi use trail ends weirdly around here and i think if you were to close the northbound traffic lane and use it for a proper bike/ped area for staging the cross of 104 ave, the traffic impacts would be minimal.

There’s a left and right turn lane so you could even just close 1 turn lane and use the other for both left and right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton