HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:18 PM
Community Guy

Tour of Alberta 2017 - Sept 1-4

Gearing Up for the Tour of Alberta
August 31, 2017

The 2017 ATB Tour of Alberta, Canada’s largest professional cycling race and one of Alberta’s biggest international sporting events, will return to Edmonton on September 3 and 4.

ATB Tour of Alberta Festival
More than just a sporting event, the ATB Tour of Alberta is a spectacular travelling festival. Free to the public, it will feature local culture, activities, entertainment, food and fun for the entire family. Get close to the action and meet professional cyclists from around the world!

Date: Sunday, September 3, 2017
Time: 12:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Admission: Free

Date: Monday, September 4, 2017
Time: 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Admission: Free

Race - Stage 3
Stage 3 is a new, 10.5 km circuit in Edmonton. Starting at Windsor Park adjacent to the University of Alberta, racers will tackle a route that descends and climbs back out of the river valley twice per lap. With 11 laps of the circuit, there will be plenty of opportunities to see your favourite riders battle it out for victory during this 116 km stage!

Date: Sunday, September 3, 2017
Race start: 1:50 p.m.
Race finish: 4:25 p.m. (estimate)
Start/Finish: Windsor Park

Stage 3 route map

Best places to watch Stage 3 of the race
Windsor Park – Start/Finish area

Race - Stage 4
Stage 4 is the grand finale of the 2017 ATB Tour of Alberta. Starting in Sir Winston Churchill Square, the race will follow what has become the classic downtown Edmonton circuit before the thrilling finish after 124 km. Cheer on the world's best professional cyclists as they race to the finish line.

Race start: 1:50 p.m.
Race finish: 4:35 p.m. (estimate)
Start/Finish: Sir Winston Churchill Square

Stage 4 route map

Best places to watch Stage 4 of the race
Sir Winston Churchill Square – Start/Finish Line
Bellamy Hill
Alberta Legislature Grounds

Velothon Edmonton
Join cyclists from around the globe on a closed road course for a true "feel-like-a-pro" experience and the ultimate public ride! Velothon Edmonton will take place on the final day of the ATB Tour of Alberta, making it one of the biggest cycling events in the Americas and a memorable week of cycling in Alberta.

Race start: 7:30 a.m.
Race finish: 12 p.m.
Start/Finish: Sir Winston Churchill Square
Distance: 100 km, 60 km, or 5 km

Velothon Edmonton route map

Best places to watch Velothon Edmonton
Sir Winston Churchill Square – Start/Finish Line
Alberta Legislature Grounds (along 107 Street and Fortway Road)
River Valley Road (near Victoria Golf Course)
Groat Road (from 107 Avenue to River Valley Road)
Groat Road (from south of the bridge to 87 Avenue)
The grass landing in the traffic circle on Groat Road and 87 Avenue

Don’t forget your noise makers, costumes and supportive signs!

For more information, visit the Velothon Edmonton website.

ATB Financial Family Ride in support of CASA
Celebrate the ATB Tour of Alberta and help to raise money and awareness for CASA Child, Adolescent and Family Mental Health. The Family Ride will depart from Sir Winston Churchill Square at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, September 4. Register as an individual, as a family, or as a corporate team.

Road Closures & Traffic Delays
A number of road closures will be in effect from Friday, September 1 to Monday, September 4 to ensure the safety of competitors, volunteers and spectators during the ATB Tour of Alberta. Major travel delays can be expected. Motorists are urged to plan ahead. Use Whitemud Drive, Anthony Henday Drive, Low Level Bridge, James Macdonald Bridge, 97 Avenue and 107 Street as alternate routes. Please allow additional time for motor vehicle travel in those areas.

Locations below are all total closures unless otherwise noted.

Friday, September 1
4 p.m. to Tuesday, September 5 at 12 p.m.:
99 Street, 102 Avenue to City Hall Parkade entrance
5:30 p.m. to Tuesday, September 5 at 12 p.m.:
102 Avenue, 99 Street to 100 Street

Saturday, September 2
8 p.m. to Sunday, September 3 at 5 a.m.:
87 Avenue, from 118 Street to 119 Street. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Travel delays can be expected.

Sunday, September 3
5 a.m. - 8 p.m.:
87 Avenue, from 117 Street to Groat Road
11:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.:
118 Street, from 87 Avenue to Windsor Park Road
119 Street, from 87 Avenue to Windsor Park Road
Windsor Park Road, from 118 Street to 119 Street
12:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.:
Groat Road, from 87 Avenue to 111 Avenue
Saskatchewan Drive, from University Avenue to Groat Road. Service road will remain open for resident access.
University Avenue, from 117 Street to Saskatchewan Drive. Service road will remain open for resident access.

Monday, September 4
5 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.:
102 Avenue, from 100 Street to 103 Street
102 Street, from 100 Avenue to Macdonald Drive
Groat Road, from 87 Avenue to 111 Avenue
Saskatchewan Drive, from University Avenue to 87 Avenue
University Avenue, from 117 Street to Saskatchewan Drive
5 a.m. - 7 p.m.:
102A Avenue, from 97 Street to 99 Street
102 Avenue, from 103 Street to 107 Street
Macdonald Drive, from 100 Street to 102 Street
102 Street, from Macdonald Drive to 100 Avenue
100 Avenue, from 102 Street to Victoria Park Road
107 Street, from 96 Avenue to 102 Avenue
Fortway Drive
River Valley Road, from 105 Street to Groat Road
Victoria Park Road, from 100 Avenue to Groat Road
103 Street, from 102 Avenue to 103 Avenue
102A Avenue/103 Avenue, from 100 Street to 103 Street
10:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.:
102A Avenue, from 95 Street to 97 Street
11:15 a.m. - 7 p.m.:
95 Street, from 101 Avenue to 102A Avenue
101 Avenue, from 95 Street to Grierson Hill
Grierson Hill
Rossdale Road, from Bellamy Hill to Grierson Hill
Bellamy Hill, from Rossdale Road to Macdonald Drive

For more road closure information visit the Special Events Road Closures Map for details.

See the Stage 3 and Stage 4 route maps.

Transit Detours & Bus Stop Closures
There will be planned ETS bus detours, and some bus stops will be temporarily relocated. LRT service will not be affected. Regular ETS fares apply.

On Sunday, September 3, Routes 128 and 130 will detour from 11:30 a.m. until approximately 7 p.m.

On Monday, September 4 all buses operate on regular Sunday schedules for the statutory holiday. From the start of service (approximately 5 a.m.) until 7 p.m., the following routes will have planned detours: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 15, 57, 100, 130, 140 and 151.

Please plan ahead, as major delays can be expected. View complete detour and bus stop details at takeETS.com.

Parking
Parking restrictions will be in effect on September 3 and 4. Parking will not be available along the race course. A number of meters will be hooded. Please obey all signs, as illegally parked vehicles will be tagged and towed.

Park Access
Hawrelak Park & Emily Murphy Park
Due to road closures, access to Hawrelak Park and Emily Murphy Park will be available via Emily Murphy Park Road and Saskatchewan Drive only, during the following times:
Sunday, September 3, from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. ​

Victoria Park
Due to road closures, there will be limited or no access into or out of Victoria Park between the following times:
Monday, September 4, from 5 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Park access will be restricted the night prior, preventing early morning parking.​

Victoria Golf Course Access
On Monday, September 4, River Valley Road will be closed to general traffic from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. During this time, access to and from the golf course will be permitted through a single access point.

Please note that, as the ATB Tour of Alberta is a live sporting event, the times listed below are subject to change. Please follow the directions provided by the EPS or course marshals.

5 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.:
Access to the golf course will be available from 105 Street and River Valley Road only.
1:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.:
Access to the golf course will be via northbound Groat Road only.
Departure from the golf course will be via southbound Groat Road only.

Please leave extra time to arrive at the golf course during these times, as automobile traffic may be temporarily stopped to allow cyclists through.

For more information:
Visit edmonton.ca/TourOfAlberta or call 311.

Media contact:
Karen McDonnell
Communications Advisor
City of Edmonton
780-442-0854
After-hours media line: 780-423-5956

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 9:58 PM

Heading out to Jasper to watch the Marmot Climb, and do it myself.
Then Monday doing the Velothon. Looking at a sub 3 hour 100km.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 2:07 PM
Community Guy

Did that climb once, never again... although 79.4km/h back down was fun.

Looking forward to hearing to Churchill on Monday.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 2:59 PM
Community Guy

Hope to see you in Churchill Sq. later.

10-530pm - festival in Churchill
145 - start
445 - expected finish

www.twitter.com/dbayeg

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 11:49 PM
Community Guy

A solid day of bikes, biking, tour of AB and urban living. Loved how many people were out and about.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 1:01 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Did that climb once, never again... although 79.4km/h back down was fun.

Looking forward to hearing to Churchill on Monday.
Only hit 76kph coming down. hard to go faster with a camera bag on your back. Past the Columbian team on the way down. They caught up with us on the flats and we were able to ride back into Jasper with them. Quite cool.

That was my 5th time up that climb. there are steeper pitches on the Cavel and Miette climbs

The pros did the climb in about 23 minutes. I was 52 min from 93 turnoff to the Marmot chalet.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 1:48 PM

Had a chance to talk with some of the organisers and touring volunteers. Quite a few Volunteers up from the States. They follow most of the races.

All had good comments of Edmonton.

Interesting to find out that Calgary Tourism is the reason the tour has not been back down there.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 2:20 PM
Community Guy

Good to hear.

Interesting...

I hope it can keep going as it is a wonderful way to showcase Alberta.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:06 PM

Awoke to the family fun race. Whoever thought that up, pat yourself on the back.

Good job by EPS keeping vehicle traffic moving, saw but one instance of road rage - was happy to not have time to tell the jerk the turn he was making would only make things worse for him.

Overall brilliant Alberta day - even stopped for a beer in Churchill (and I hardly ever drink beer).

Well done organizers.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 4:38 PM

From what I gather it is going for another year. But with Calgary not signing on they are having issues with getting sponsors to sign on. It would be nice if they could use the southern Rockies as well.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 4:42 PM

Great weather this year, seem to recall a risk of snow a couple years back...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Awoke to the family fun race. Whoever thought that up, pat yourself on the back.

Good job by EPS keeping vehicle traffic moving, saw but one instance of road rage - was happy to not have time to tell the jerk the turn he was making would only make things worse for him.

Overall brilliant Alberta day - even stopped for a beer in Churchill (and I hardly ever drink beer).

Well done organizers.
Although I agree with most of your post, there is some adjustments the organizers have to do with how they closed off routes. Particularly for Ultima residents. Seems like whoever put up the barricades did not realize anyone actually lives on that block. Entrance to 103Ave was closed off at 104St and of course, 103St fully closed for the race. That meant there was actually no way to enter Ultima parkade in the alley whatsoever. They should have put up the 103Ave "road closed" barricades after the alley entrance, not at 104St. I actually had to get out of my car, move the barricade, jump in and move past them, get back out and move back the barricade, then drive on.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
From what I gather it is going for another year. But with Calgary not signing on they are having issues with getting sponsors to sign on. It would be nice if they could use the southern Rockies as well.
Outside of the Stampede and/or Flames, it's durn difficult for anyone to solicit sponsorships in Calgary - just ask Calgary's art organizations.

That said, if the Tour of Alberta, as stated on the live stream, really IS Canada's biggest stage race, beyond me why TSN or Sportsnet haven't gotten on board.

Not as if they don't have enough channels, and not as if the time these stages are run would conflict with any of their primo properties.

Perhaps TSN really does stand for Toronto Sports Network.

(And yeah Calgarian, it did threaten to snow a couple of years back!)

And, good point S4 - should let 3-1-1 know. Pretty sure it was an innocent oversight.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 8:17 PM

I have been wondering myself why the tour hasn't been in Calgary since it first started. I thought they were going to alternate each year between the big 2 cities?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 9:43 PM
Community Guy

It has been... unless my memory fails me. 3 yrs ago?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I have been wondering myself why the tour hasn't been in Calgary since it first started. I thought they were going to alternate each year between the big 2 cities?
When talking with a number of people involved it sounded like Calgary tourism didn't feel it fit into the image they wanted. and they are looking at going after the Olympics again so do not want to spend money on theses type of events, To be a host city is quite expensive. Because Calgary tourism has a big hammer they can influence the region so you do not see the surrounding area get involved as well. Highwood pass will not be in the tour any time soon. There was an announcement yesterday that 3 of this years teams get to move up to Pro Continental level (teir 2) so they can now get invites to the big races in Europe.

Last time there was snow on the course was when they road out of Grande Cache to Miette. about 2 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:45 PM

So, let's see, you want to bid for the Olympics ... thumbing your nose at athletic events is good strategy?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
So, let's see, you want to bid for the Olympics ... thumbing your nose at athletic events is good strategy?
Better yet thumbing your nose at the City of Edmonton when the Mayor dared to broach sharing the Olympic Bid. There will NOT be Federal $$ unless Edmonton is part of the plan ... or Provincial support under the current Government. Calgary will have to go it alone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton