HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:26 PM
The Salty Ham

At the risk of sounding a bit culturally insensitive, I fully expect BBVA to be on board with backing this team in whatever it takes to get them the facility they need. If they buddy up with UAB and play on the southside in an existing facility or they help build a new one. This is their HQ, time for a statement since they backed off the Birmingham Bowl. And yeah I know Houston is pretty much really their HQ and they have a nice stadium for the Dynamo there, but it would be a big statement to their commitment to this city to show up big for this team.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:35 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
At the risk of sounding a bit culturally insensitive, I fully expect BBVA to be on board with backing this team in whatever it takes to get them the facility they need. If they buddy up with UAB and play on the southside in an existing facility or they help build a new one. This is their HQ, time for a statement since they backed off the Birmingham Bowl. And yeah I know Houston is pretty much really their HQ and they have a nice stadium for the Dynamo there, but it would be a big statement to their commitment to this city to show up big for this team.
It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't know who else would pay for naming rights, but I'm sure there's some company out there. Vulcan Materials would be a pretty awesome sponsor, maybe even Mercedes... it's about time they appreciated the incentives we've been giving them.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:44 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't know who else would pay for naming rights, but I'm sure there's some company out there. Vulcan Materials would be a pretty awesome sponsor, maybe even Mercedes... it's about time they appreciated the incentives we've been giving them.
No doubt, but they are so tied up with their palace with the funky roof over in the ATL - so it wouldn't surprise me if nothing came from them. That would leave Honda or some local player like you say a Vulcan Materials or an Encompass. With the last one, what better way to get their new name out there and confuse everybody when the team eventually moves from Compass Field to Encompass Field.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 9:24 PM
The Salty Ham

Even better, longer hype/news video embedded into this article.
http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/08...-stadium-bjcc/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

News is that the Birmingham Hammers will be rolled into the USL Birmingham team. I've supported the Hammers from the very beginning, but I've never been a fan of the name... I hope the USL franchise will take the time to come up with a better one.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 11:28 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
News is that the Birmingham Hammers will be rolled into the USL Birmingham team. I've supported the Hammers from the very beginning, but I've never been a fan of the name... I hope the USL franchise will take the time to come up with a better one.
Yeah, Ham Hammers doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 11:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

An interview today with the USL President, Jake Edwards sends a strong signal that Birmingham is actively working to develop a purpose-built stadium for the new USL franchise coming to town.

LINK

Below is what I think is the most encouraging quote regarding a downtown stadium...

Quote:
Q: Birmingham began the week by becoming the first club to be introduced for the 2019 season. The grassroots support there has been phenomenal, how pleased are you to see a city the league has been interested in for a while now officially part of the USL?

Edwards: It’s all about timing, and as that grassroots momentum has built over the last few years with the local fans of the sport like Morgan Copes and his partners that helped build the Magic City Brigade, that helped build the Birmingham Hammers, that helped build that grassroots soccer culture in the region, it’s tremendously important work, and they’ve done a great job over the last few years to do that.

Again, it’s about timing, it’s about getting all the pieces in place, and with the ownership group with Lee Styslinger III, Jeff Logan and James Outland coming behind it with a strong plan, and the support of the Mayor and the city there to build a great stadium for this team, the timing was now. It’s a market we’ve kept our eye on for a long time, but I think they won’t know what has hit them when this soccer juggernaut comes to town. They’re going to be a great addition to the USL.
The league seems to be quite bullish on Birmingham.

I think what is appropriate, now... now that there is an assured tenant for such a facility, the city should pursue building the open air stadium as proposed by the BJCC. 55,000 - 65,000 seats to accommodate the Magic City Classic and Birmingham Bowl, upper deck can be closed and covered with banners (such as in Seattle and Atlanta in the future) for a soccer match capacity of 20,000-ish. Upper decks and always be opened up for big matches against rivals and high profile teams. Plus, just dreaming here, if the franchise were to ascend to the MLS, the capacity would already be present without necessary expansion. IMO, it's the most appropriate/cost-effective way to both replace Legion Field and provide a proper home for the new USL franchise.

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Aug 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 3:43 PM
The Salty Ham

I agree, they could even close and cover the endzones so that a crowd of say, 10k, will look rowdy and packed in.

I imagine these guys, especially with a Barons owner as a co-owner can not be blind to the success the Barons have had and the over all success and impact Regions Field has had on the city. Plus they have a unique product that doesn't have any direct competition in the market.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:49 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Local publications have all been saying this, but I'll say it again... this is a chance that the city has to actually get it right on a national stage. Getting the Barons to Regions Field was getting it right on a regional stage. This is totally different. If the city doesn't seize the opportunity and do this right, I think it will hurt us going forward.

It's easy this time! We've already got the franchise. Build the right stadium, in the right place, with the right partners... get the community to embrace the team en masse... this could really cement the city's momentum.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 1:03 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Ridership up on BJCTA’s 201 route

Erica Techo
280 Living
August 23, 2017
LINK

Some VERY promising signs... especially from the Mayor of Hoover...

Quote:
The 201 commuter route along U.S. 280, which travels between downtown Birmingham and the Walmart near Alabama 119 Monday through Saturday, has seen ridership increase from 132 monthly riders in October 2015 to averaging 2,000 each month in 2017.

The commuter route has seen significant increases in rider numbers since Grandview Medical Center opened, said Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority Executive Director Barbara Murdock.

“We have a lot of pickups at that Grandview point,” she said. “From the day it [the route] opened back in 2014, we started that route, it has been successful since picking up at Grandview.”

High and increasing ridership numbers are promising for the U.S. 280 routes, Murdock said, and have led to some hopeful plans for the future of public transit in that area.

“That particular route tells me that we probably should look at ways of improving that service; both of them, the fact that they’re so well used,” Murdock said.

Hoover Mayor Frank Brocato said he is not surprised to see an increase in bus riders along U.S. 280, and said they are an important service to offer.

“We believe that public transit is important, and that particularly to get people to get to their jobs,” Brocato said. “I think that’s the most important thing that we needed in Hoover and in the metro area, period.”

Hoover has a lot of businesses and service industry jobs along U.S. 280, Brocato said, and individuals working in those positions can benefit from public transit options.

“The simple fact is that a lot of folks in the service industry might not be able to afford a car, but they need to be able to make a living the best they can,” Brocato said.

Even though the two BJCTA routes on the thoroughfare see an increase in ridership, it has not alleviated traffic, Murdock said, and even if ridership continues to increase, she does not see congestion decreasing. Not even a fourth, regular travel lane would help.

“It would be packed the day it opened,” Murdock said. “So highway expansion is not the answer. Public transit is.”

And not just any public transit — new, more attractive forms of public transit.

“We need to start thinking about Bus Rapid Transit [BRT], a single lane down the center of 280 that would go from Walmart to downtown,” Murdock said. “That way, the buses aren’t getting stopped with the traffic. When it has that single lane, it has single prioritization and keeps going straight. That would be the answer to getting people faster to downtown.”

The BRT lane would hypothetically run in the center of the interstate, which would both take buses off the road and make public transit more appealing to commuters, Murdock said.

Brocato also said he believes a different public transit method would help alleviate traffic on U.S. 280, by appealing to a wider range of commuters.

“Can you imagine being able to, if you live out in Greystone or Brook Highland or Chelsea and you have to go somewhere downtown to work, going to a central parking station and hopping on rapid transit, and rather than fighting traffic anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and 39 minutes, getting downtown in a half hour? I don’t know what the downside to that is,” Brocato said.

To implement BRT or other changes, they would need the approval of at least six municipalities — Birmingham, Vestavia Hills, Homewood, Mountain Brook, Hoover and Jefferson County. That number could increase to seven if BJCTA extended into Shelby County.

“The biggest challenge is you’re talking about … [is] seven jurisdictions plus the federal government,” Brocato said. “That’s the challenge right there. And it’s something we talk about all the time, and why we may have difficulty in the metro area and growing is because we have so many jurisdictions.”

“We’ve been a system that people didn’t trust. They didn’t trust that the buses would be on time. They didn’t trust that there was sound management,” she said. “If we get people to trust more in the system, the management, the dream, we’ll get more people on.”

She also hopes to get more people thinking about innovative transit. Professionals working downtown want to be able to avoid traffic, she said, and millennials want to have reliable transportation without having to own a car. Both groups have similar needs, she said, and they are working on getting the message of public transit out to those groups.

“We need to have our community start dreaming,” she said. “Dream big for public transit.”
I'm astonished at the increase of ridership from the 280 corridor to downtown. All I can say is that this serves as proof that the region needs to build transit accessibility along the 280 corridor. Also, I am TREMENDOUSLY happy that the mayor of Hoover seems to be on board! I never would have foreseen it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 5:39 PM
The Salty Ham

That makes sense, and of course the dreamer in me says that it could one day be converted to light rail - but one lane down the middle and then have the buses switch from inbound to outbound after lunch would probably do a lot to quell traffic.

Here are some local leaders talking about what is next for the city.

http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/08...wn-birmingham/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 12:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

UAB's return to Legion Field was attended by 45,000+

Let's keep it up!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 12:51 PM
Cat Enthusiast

MAX bus system finally has a mobile app. Are we in the 21st century yet? Hopefully this will lead to an increase in ridership.

LINK

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 PM
The Salty Ham

Apparently our hopeless campaign has gotten some attention all the way across the country in Seattle. Maybe it was a good idea to do a little more than just send a typical proposal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...azon-dash.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Y'know, I look at the people-movers or metro-movers around the country in cities like Miami, Detroit, or Jacksonville and that kind of system seems like a wonderful idea for circulating people around in Jones Valley (the Central City and the Southside). It really isn't too imposing, corporate real-estate tends to embrace the connectivity, and Birmingham's density in Jones Valley seems like a perfect place for such a system.

Connect UAB with multiple parking decks, hotels, to parking decks, to Publix, to office buildings with parking decks... all of these are also near to amenities in demand!

I know it would be a difficult sell, but hey, it's not like it isn't worth discussing.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:10 PM

I am amazed at the transformation a bit of light can do for an old building or any building. The Elyton Hotel is just awesome at night, now the former Pickwick, Hotel Highland at 5 points, soon to be Hotel Indigo has a crown of LED light around the top that gives it a wow factor.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
I am amazed at the transformation a bit of light can do for an old building or any building. The Elyton Hotel is just awesome at night, now the former Pickwick, Hotel Highland at 5 points, soon to be Hotel Indigo has a crown of LED light around the top that gives it a wow factor.
Nice, I'm not downtown at night much these days so I'll have to stick around after work sometime to check that out.

I imagine the lighting on Commerce Center (or whatever it will come to be named) will be fantastic with its pitched roof and unique crown.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:14 AM

TJ building has a two red neon light signs at the top of their building

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Have they done anything to improve the lighting on the mooring mast? I know they added some colored flood lighting but unfortunately it has very little impact. I keep hoping they will do something to show the mast off at night.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:28 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Thanks for posting mcalumni! I remember when the tower was lit up with the red Leer signs, I hope this looks similar. Definitely a great addition to the skyline. Here a picture the posted on the TJ Tower's Instagram:

Source: TJ Tower

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast