HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:47 AM

Tucson Streetcar Ridership Exceeds Expectations

Story and photo from AZPM

"Less than two months into its operation, the Tucson Modern Streetcar is exceeding expectations among both city officials and local businesses.

Streetcar Project Manager Shellie Ginn said that, although the initial number of riders fell in line with expectations of 3,600 passengers per day, ridership has nearly doubled since classes began at the University of Arizona.

By the first week of September, the streetcar was averaging roughly 5,000 per day, and continues to have a high volume of riders..."

Full Story here

I saw an article recently (I forget where) that compared recent Streetcar projects around the country and rated them on various criteria.

Tucson's was near the top overall, and given a good chance of success because 1) the ridership numbers were captured during the summer before students came back and 2) the frequency of service on the route was higher than most other systems, meaning it's more likely that people will use it regularly.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Sorry, man. I don't see any news article. Can you give me a right one?
Try this...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...te-11-link-ph/

It's nice to see Nevada officials going to bat for their second city. Too bad it doesn't happen more often in AZ.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:45 PM

The farmer's market at Rillito Park is getting some nice permanent infrastructure - take a look at this page: https://www.facebook.com/HeirloomFarmersMarkets

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 9:59 PM

I think it's a little premature to speculate about the success of the streetcar. The first three days of operation was free. Second Saturdays were free. And, University of Arizona students were given one month's free rides. Better to reevaluate these statistics based on paid ridership, not passenger numbers. Hopefully, the numbers will remain strong once everyone riding it will be fare paying passengers.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Try this...
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014...te-11-link-ph/

It's nice to see Nevada officials going to bat for their second city. Too bad it doesn't happen more often in AZ.
Got it. Thanks! I appreciate your help. It is the right one. I'm surely that they will constructed new interstate I-11. Arizona will have reconsider again.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 4:58 PM

Looks like there's finally some movement on the Bourne project on Congress. Permits were applied for the Chase annex renovation earlier this month and I noticed demo under way the other day.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Looks like there's finally some movement on the Bourne project on Congress. Permits were applied for the Chase annex renovation earlier this month and I noticed demo under way the other day.

So is all of this still happening? http://www.bourncompanies.com/projec...ucson-project/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
Yeah, eventually. This is all part of the same project. No permits are out for the new building or the building on the corner yet, though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 8:16 AM

Its hard to tell many design details from the elevations but it would be nice to see the new building incorporate some of the old design elements that the Chase building has and what makes it one of our most well known buildings downtown. A modern design connected directly to the chase building may look a bit off IMO

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 5:00 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
I think it's a little premature to speculate about the success of the streetcar. The first three days of operation was free. Second Saturdays were free. And, University of Arizona students were given one month's free rides. Better to reevaluate these statistics based on paid ridership, not passenger numbers. Hopefully, the numbers will remain strong once everyone riding it will be fare paying passengers.
Uhm, did you even read the article in full? You cite the above, yet seem to ignore the fact that they already appear to be in the fare paying phase already and are trying to iron it how to get the pass system working. the fact that so many of the AZstar.net readership has been rooting and hooting for the streetcar to fail, it's this kind of cynicism that isn't welcomed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsuofa View Post
As far as the signing of the agreement with Rio Nuevo and Stiteler is that the last of the hurdles that need to be jumped as far as financing and anything else needed from the city? If so should we expect development in the relative future?

According to Steve K.'s latest newsletter, Stiteler still needs a development agreement with the city before starting construction on the hotel, which mayor and council plan to address in a study session on October 9.

http://government.tucsonaz.gov/files...09-24-2014.pdf

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBear View Post
Uhm, did you even read the article in full? You cite the above, yet seem to ignore the fact that they already appear to be in the fare paying phase already and are trying to iron it how to get the pass system working. the fact that so many of the AZstar.net readership has been rooting and hooting for the streetcar to fail, it's this kind of cynicism that isn't welcomed.
I agree that a lot of people are negative on many downtown projects, including this one, but I'm not one of them. I live downtown and I'm doing everything within my ability to help make it successful. I'm just stating a fact, that while most riders should be paying, there is a lot of free ridership. I'm afraid that sometime in the near future the City will be complaining that the system is losing too much money because not enough riders are paying. So, they should be evaluating it on paid ridership, not passenger numbers.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:13 PM

New Tenants at 1 South Church

From today's Star...
New Leases help fill Tucson's Tallest Building

Quote:
A global provider of flexible workspaces and an engineering firm have signed long-term-leases at One South Church, Tucson’s tallest office building, the real-estate brokerage CBRE said Monday...
One is a company opening it's first Tucson location, and the other is relocating from Williams Center. According to the article, it bring occupancy downtown to 70%.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:50 AM

High-rise could be built at downtown transit center site

By Bud Foster

Posted: Sep 29, 2014 3:43 PM
Updated: Sep 29, 2014 3:43 PM

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -
A committee is evaluating proposals for what could be the biggest project downtown Tucson has seen in a long time, the development of the Ronstadt Transit Center.

The committee is meeting this week to evaluate the proposals submitted by companies hoping to develop the transit center.

A winner will be chosen by early November and the city will then work on a contract.

The five acres of the transit center is some of the most valuable real estate downtown, and the interest is a bellwether of just how downtown redevelopment is going.

Even though the city is hoping for a combination of retail, residential and commercial, the center must have a transit component because federal dollars are involved. This means the buses will stay and the development will be built around the transit center.

City planners are hoping this site will generate revenue rather than be the drain it has been for the past several years.

And one of the important parts of the plan will be to make sure it's private dollars doing the development, not taxpayer dollars.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:59 AM

So a couple co-workers and myself went downtown tonight for drinks and food. For a Tuesday night I was surprised how busy it was! It wasn't packed, but between 6 and 7 pm most restaurants were busy (Bianco's Pizza had a wait), there were people on the street, the street car was half full of people, lots of traffic on the street...it felt like a real city vibe! If you guys haven't been to R Bar in the alley between World of Beers and The Rialto you have to go! One of THE coolest bars in this city. Great drinks too.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
New Tenants at 1 South Church

From today's Star...
New Leases help fill Tucson's Tallest Building

One is a company opening it's first Tucson location, and the other is relocating from Williams Center. According to the article, it bring occupancy downtown to 70%.
I think this is great news! Does anyone know what the occupancy level would have to be downtown before someone would consider another office high-rise? I think 70% is a good number but still low as far as the possibility of a new building going up.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post

By Bud Foster

A committee is evaluating proposals for what could be the biggest project downtown Tucson has seen in a long time, the development of the Ronstadt Transit Center.

The committee is meeting this week to evaluate the proposals submitted by companies hoping to develop the transit center.

A winner will be chosen by early November and the city will then work on a contract.

The five acres of the transit center is some of the most valuable real estate downtown, and the interest is a bellwether of just how downtown redevelopment is going.

Even though the city is hoping for a combination of retail, residential and commercial, the center must have a transit component because federal dollars are involved. This means the buses will stay and the development will be built around the transit center.

City planners are hoping this site will generate revenue rather than be the drain it has been for the past several years.

And one of the important parts of the plan will be to make sure it's private dollars doing the development, not taxpayer dollars.

I'm really glad to hear about that space and that there is still a transit center component to it otherwise nothing will get built if opposition realizes it could be relocated. There are a few really good projects in the works I.e arena site and barazza aviation project. I just wish they would speed up I'm tired of waiting!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
I'm really glad to hear about that space and that there is still a transit center component to it otherwise nothing will get built if opposition realizes it could be relocated. There are a few really good projects in the works I.e arena site and barazza aviation project. I just wish they would speed up I'm tired of waiting!
The way it goes in Tucson, if it's a local developer it won't get built.

I'm confident the transit center development projects will be successful. I'd see 20+ floor buildings near the horizon.

Glad things are working out in the Old Pueblo!

btw, I would love to see Bourne booted out of downtown for good. That's one ugly rendering. Also, I don't see any of the downtown west projects come into fruition. You really need a large corporation (with partners) to build a project of that magnitude. Single developer won't do unless you are a Rockefeller.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
The way it goes in Tucson, if it's a local developer it won't get built.

I'm confident the transit center development projects will be successful. I'd see 20+ floor buildings near the horizon.

Glad things are working out in the Old Pueblo!

btw, I would love to see Bourne booted out of downtown for good. That's one ugly rendering. Also, I don't see any of the downtown west projects come into fruition. You really need a large corporation (with partners) to build a project of that magnitude. Single developer won't do unless you are a Rockefeller.
Downtown development is going great. Jobs are coming and restaurants are thriving. The streetcar has done wonders downtown. The only problem with downtown is the lack of non-student housing along the streetcar route. West Abbey, The Brickyard and West End Station could really bring the housing we need while making the Mercado District a hip, modern and efficient neighborhood. I imagine that it will end up as a larger scale Main Gate Square that's a little more unique to Tucson. But jobs are coming and there are no apartments to keep the workers living downtown. The local developers that the city has hired are non surprisingly failing to deliver.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post

By Bud Foster

I think this would be an excellent opportunity, with the construction of downtown links, to eliminate the transit center entirely and make Congress/Broadway a (smaller) transit mall much like Portland has and close all but one lane of each to cars. Downtown links will be able to carry all the traffic that is going to/past I-10, and some of the downtown traffic that can just head south at the appropriate point.

Eliminating one central bus depot would remove all the undeserved and deserved negative feelings about it and with less than 20 routes using Ronstadt, it could easily be stretched for a few blocks with 4 attractive covered stops each direction offering real-time departure information. Then whatever goes in the Ronstadt location isn't on stilts or some other crazy configuration with a dark unappealing minimal depot to meet federal standards. Having bus stops that 'feel' more like streetcar stops would also make ridership from downtown more appealing for people who would otherwise avoid a central bus-only station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest