HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 10:39 AM

Sorry guys, can somebody PM me a simple guide to posting pics???!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:17 AM

Last edited by Colin HD; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here you go acorn.

www.alisonstimemachine.com
__
Thank you! While I could find some images, my attempts at posting them always end in disaster.

I don't think I ever met Jay Ward at the shop, but I did meet Mrs. Jay Ward there a couple of times after her husband's death.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:08 PM
You can call me David

NYE51 follow up

Responding to the comments about my New Years Eve photo post…

I'll start with my so-called "Mystery Building". Hoss C wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
With reference to 3940dxer's very interesing post about the New Year's Eve, 1951 picture, I think that mystery building #15 was just south of the current site of the Twin Towers Correctional Facility you mentioned.

Detail of picture posted by 3940dxer, original from USC Digital Library

Here's a closer view which also shows Little Joe's in the foreground.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

I believe the mystery building is shown in 3940dxer's picture of the gasometers. It certainly seems to have the same five light-colored cylinders in front of the main structure. The source document names #2 as the Southern California Gas Co Plant. The street passing to the left was Macy Street at the time, it's now East Cesar E Chavez Avenue.

ctr.trains.com (PDF file)

The structure was discussed at the beginning of July. Here's a picture I posted in post #22393 which shows the chimneys better.

The gas plant is roughly in the center of this 1952 aerial view, which is very close to the date of the original USC image. The large gasometers and their long shadows can be seen at the bottom.

Historic Aerials

The area is now occupied by the C. Erwin Piper Technical Center and the Gateway Center (Union Station MTA Garage), built over Howard Street and the northern section of Center Street. Part of the Twin Towers Correctional Facility is visible at the top of the aerial below.

Google Maps
This location certainly agrees with the sight lines that I came up with and we agree that the chimneys are about where the Twin Towers jail was built. In the 4th image that HossC included, we see that there are several groups of silver or light colored vertical tanks, and two groups of black or dark colored chimneys, which I've marked on the image below, along with a dashed line showing the approximate sight line from the photographer's location. The arrangement of the black chimneys in Group 1 (near the southwest corner of Keller and Macy/Sunset) seems to match the original photo reasonably well. So while it's hard to be sure, I think I agree with HossC's conclusion and it appears that we're seeing that my "mystery building" is this plant, with the silver tanks in the foreground on the right, the building behind the silver tanks, and the dark colored chimneys behind the building. Thanks for helping with this, HossC.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/fu.../rv/singleitem

Now…Michael Ryerson and ProphetM commented on Michael's post of 5-1-13, in which he concluded that the Sunset and San Fernando hotels were both reduced to one story, but do survive. I had forgotten about these posts, but they were carefully documented and it seems sure that the lower floors of these two old buildings do indeed still stand, which is nice to know. I've edited my original post accordingly. With a little luck, we'll be able to see either or both in my "now" version, which I'll post soon.

Finally, Alvaro Legido wrote "I don't know how to research on the Thread, but I remember well that a similar attempt to locate where the photographer was has been done by MichaelRyerson. It would be very interesting to compare the results of these two amazing posts."

I couldn't fine Michael's post here either, but he sent me a link to this image, which may have appeared in his NLA post:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...778552/sizes/l

Here's a more finely tuned version of the location map in my first post. I believe that the original photographer stood somewhere within the ellipse. I've added sight lines indicating the approximate left and right edges of the original shot, and a sight line towards the Union Station campanile clock tower, which is near the enter of the photo. If Michael's sight line is extended towards Dodger Stadium it lands within a few hundred feet of my elipse, so for all practical purposes, we are in full agreement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0452...18.2232483,12z

My next post will include at least one"now" version of the original photo, with a discussion of how this scene has changed over the past 63 years.

Meanwhile, can anyone identify any more of the buildings in the original photo?

Last edited by 3940dxer; Sep 15, 2014 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Another structure which intrigued me in this view is the row of chimneys just to the left of the Brunswig Annex. Here's a closer view.

It can also be seen in the background of 3940dxer's picture of the Brunswig Square building. Here's another detail view.

Looking at the 1952 Historic Aerials image, the shadows of those chimneys are clearly visible on this building on S Alameda. It's opposite the southern end of the Arcade Depot.

Historic Aerials

The 1921 Baist map names the building as the Gas & Electric Co's Power Plant. I'm guessing that that's what we're still looking at in the later views, even though it never seems to appear in the City Directories.

www.historicmapworks.com (Rotated)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:48 AM

[IMG]SCAN0452 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Okay, here's some more Lucca!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:49 AM

[IMG]SCAN0451 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:50 AM

[IMG]SCAN0450 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:50 AM

[IMG]SCAN0449 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:51 AM

[IMG]SCAN0448 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:51 AM

[IMG]SCAN0447 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:52 AM

[IMG]SCAN0446 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:53 AM

[IMG]SCAN0445 by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 1:56 AM

[IMG]5th and Western, Los Angeles, Ca by ZX14r, on Flickr[/IMG]

Where Lucca was. How sad.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:44 AM

1880s, possibly Pasadena

Quote:
The only information I have for this extraordinary photograph is "1880s, possibly Pasadena".

old file of mine/

__
I'd bet many Quatloos that you're right on both date and place, e_r. And I agree it is a wonderful picture.

With these sorts of anonymous views, it's good to examine the horizon.

Here is a random picture Google produced of the Pasadena City Hall, looking northeast-ish. Note the shape of the ridgeline at the right side.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.anc...amtrakla07.gif

The promontory is Mt. Harvard. Here are the ridgelines from each photo superimposed:

I think we are looking northeast over the orange groves from an upper story of the Raymond Hotel. The railroad is just out of the frame on the left.

If that's the case, your image is no earlier than 1886 and no later than 1895.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 8:32 AM

Can a house be camera-shy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post

I think we are looking northeast over the orange groves from an upper story of the Raymond Hotel. The railroad is just out of the frame on the left.

If that's the case, your image is no earlier than 1886 and no later than 1895.
Thanks for finding a location for er's picture of Pasadena. I agree it's a northeast prospect, but I had no idea of how far back the camera was.

I am always looking for any pictures of our 1885 Victorian, for we have only one from before we bought the house, and that is not terribly helpful, because it is from 1985 and it's only a poor photocopy of the picture at that.

I have a very good idea of what the house looked like when it was built--basically as it does now--but at some point the bargeboards were taken out of the front gables, and I'd love to have some documentation regarding what they looked like to take to the Cultural Heritage Commission when I try to get approval to replace them.

Thus, I had my nose up in the monitor trying to see if the house was visible in it until I was cross-eyed. I was going to try it again until I read your post. While the camera is indeed pointing the right direction and was taken at the right time, it's over two miles away from it.

And so my search continues. . .

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Sep 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM. Reason: Simple human failure.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I could only find the Berean Bible School in the 1915, 1917 and 1918 CDs where it's listed under both "Schools and Colleges" and "Apartments". From 1921 to 1942 the building becomes the North Broadway Apartments. The later CDs use a different format, so while I didn't find the North Broadway Apartments listed again, I did find a few apartment residents at that address in each of the CDs between 1956 and 1969. There's nothing and no one listed at 3231 N Broadway by 1973, which fits with what I found on Historic Aerials. I pretty sure the 1952 image (below) shows the building in e_r's picture, but the lot is empty by 1972.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
The promontory is Mt. Harvard. Here are the ridgelines from each photo superimposed:

I think we are looking northeast over the orange groves from an upper story of the Raymond Hotel.
Excellent sleuthing Lorendoc
-you mentioned the Raymond Hotel, just last week I came across this very intriguing photograph that shows a tunnel on the Raymond Hotel property.

eey

I don't remember discussing such a tunnel, even though we've visited the Raymond Hotel numerous times.
I know the hotel sits atop a large hill, so I initially thought this might be a service tunnel.

For any new comers to the thread, here is the Raymond Hotel. (if you haven't seen it before, you're in for a treat)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=16222

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 15, 2014 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 11:16 PM

Here's a bit of a mystery (to me anyway...I've never heard of a Silver Republican Club)

Los Angeles 1909

tumblr/memoriastoica

Only one directory had any information on 'silver republican'.
The 1898 L.A. City Directory. -533 S. Main

http://www.lapl.org/collections-reso...al-collections

It would be fun to locate this house in one of the early panoramas that we've seen from USC.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 16, 2014 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Another structure which intrigued me in this view is the row of chimneys just to the left of the Brunswig Annex. Here's a closer view.

It can also be seen in the background of 3940dxer's picture of the Brunswig Square building. Here's another detail view.

Looking at the 1952 Historic Aerials image, the shadows of those chimneys are clearly visible on this building on S Alameda. It's opposite the southern end of the Arcade Depot.

Historic Aerials

The 1921 Baist map names the building as the Gas & Electric Co's Power Plant. I'm guessing that that's what we're still looking at in the later views, even though it never seems to appear in the City Directories.

www.historicmapworks.com (Rotated)

HossC: Here is another view from the 4th Street Bridge

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../38387/rec/431

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../38387/rec/431

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos