HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGB View Post
Great photos!

Agreed. Downtown Houston looks nothing like Downtown Atlanta.
I've never been so i wouldn't actually known, but a lot of the buildings and architecture from these pics look similar. Is downtown Atlanta successful right now or is it struggling?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Great pics! Atlanta has all the hallmarks of a truly great major city. I love all the murals. Really high quality.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks for sharing these. It's always nice to see the variety that Atlanta contains from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natenate View Post
I've never been so i wouldn't actually known, but a lot of the buildings and architecture from these pics look similar. Is downtown Atlanta successful right now or is it struggling?
Some of the downtown districts are booming, while others are struggling...but the entire area is on the rise. There is a good bit of development and redevelopment happening around Georgia State University and Centennial Olympic Park (among others), and the Hotel/Convention district is busy as always. There are currently about 27,000 residents and 5,000 students living downtown as well as an influx of 120,000 employees/day. I would say downtown is pretty healthy and on the upswing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Great thread, man! It's sometimes hard for people outside of Atlanta to see a full perspective of the city in terms of urbanity, but you did an outstanding job showing us that Atlanta is more than suburban misconceptions. Great work! I was into it!
Yea man I think a lot of the problem is lack of photos. Most people just see photos of the skyline. You mix those with the general southern city concept of skyscrapers surrounded by parking lots and suburbs stretching for miles and you figure that Atlanta is a large yet suburban, new age southern city.

These photos show that this is completely incorrect though. I must admit that I had a false idea of what Atlanta was like. I am sooo thankful for this photo thread, Ant131531! I now see that Atlanta has some great bones, and truly feels like a large city. It is deserving of the hype that it gets. It has really nicely designed urban buildings popping up all over the city, and these go really well with the old historic fabric of the city. This is so unlike most other southern cities. Most of them seem to be lacking those old school layers of urbanity that add so much to a city. Atlanta's inner city feels more like a midwestern city, but one that is thriving with lots of new construction. Also, based on these pictures I feel like the new architecture is better than most southern cities architecture.

I'm seriously impressed! Great photo thread my man. We need to see more Atlanta threads like this.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 12:41 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice tour!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 5:59 PM
Thought Criminal

Great thread, Ant!

My favorite is this one because:
  1. That square, if you spend a few hours sitting there, is one of the most "interesting" squares in any city in the world
  2. I've been going to that pizzeria since I was a kid and it's exactly the same even though there was a name change in 90s (can't remember the old name since I unofficially call it the Rock and Roll Pizzeria)
  3. That head shop used to be a APD Precinct. True story.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 3:19 AM

Thank you all so much for the comments. I honestly didn't think I would get this much great feedback. I swear, once I get a good camera and learn how to use it, I will be taking amazing pictures of Atlanta...much better than these.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:11 PM

Great shots. Atlanta is an interesting up and coming city.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 5:39 PM
Babylon falling

Loved the tour of the inner hoods. The residential in Midtown looks solid and very well integrated. I'm definitely impressed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 7:49 PM

Nice job showcasing the ATL, would've been great if you were taking photos in Fairlie Poplar during class time for GSU students.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:03 PM

I'm fascinated by the hodge-podge feel that cities like Houston and Atlanta have. Random little pocket neighborhoods that are like hidden gems, thrown in a semi-walkable district divided by highway overpasses and then suddenly a sprout of three skyscrapers. Add some lush forests to the mix with tons of charming pre-war bungalows and lovely brand new infill. It's actually kind of cool what a lack of zoning can potentially give way to.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:16 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

I've lived in quite a few cities and have visited a lot of places and every once in a while I see a photo that gives me flash backs of the wrong city. This photo for some reason shot my mind back to Seattle. Trippy. Realistically this photo could be a bunch of different cities, I guess. Great set you posted by the way, thanks for sharing with us.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 8:59 PM

Nice I miss Atlanta, has been a long time, i have to visit again soon from The Netherlands.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm fascinated by the hodge-podge feel that cities like Houston and Atlanta have. Random little pocket neighborhoods that are like hidden gems, thrown in a semi-walkable district divided by highway overpasses and then suddenly a sprout of three skyscrapers. Add some lush forests to the mix with tons of charming pre-war bungalows and lovely brand new infill. It's actually kind of cool what a lack of zoning can potentially give way to.
I don't see it that way, but to each his own I guess. Isn't every city a hodge-podge of different styles, eras, and uses? These photos are not of "little pocket neighborhoods" but of real, substantial neighborhoods; most of them are not divided by highway overpasses...they do exist, but aren't the norm; I'm not sure where a "sprout of three skyscrapers" is in downtown Atlanta.

Atlanta is nothing like Houston when it comes to zoning (or lack thereof). The city of Atlanta actually does have zoning restrictions.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I've lived in quite a few cities and have visited a lot of places and every once in a while I see a photo that gives me flash backs of the wrong city. This photo for some reason shot my mind back to Seattle. Trippy. Realistically this photo could be a bunch of different cities, I guess. Great set you posted by the way, thanks for sharing with us.
That is one of Fairlie-Poplar's great little narrow streets. There are several of them in the neighborhood and people are often surprised that this type of environment exists in Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2014, 3:15 AM

It's mighty funny that Hollywood and the rest of the world love our hodge-podge. Atlanta has some of the most beautiful neighborhood's in this country. San Francisco and a bunch of city's are just to recognizable, and that's what make's Atlanta so unique because you can't figure out where you are.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:23 AM

Awesome thread! I hope the next one includes Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, the West End, Castleberry Hill, Edgewood, etc.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 3:22 PM

Hey guys. Just wanted to give you a few updates:

Due to the much better than expected reception to my photos on this thread, I decided I will be creating a 2nd photo thread of Atlanta called 'Atlanta: More than just Skyscrapers 2'.

Since I've created this thread, I've purchased a new Canon T3i and will plan on taking, new, much better photos with it. On my next thread, it will feature even more neighborhoods plus some of the neighborhoods I've already been to in this thread! Some of those neighborhoods include Castlebury hill, West Midtown, East Atlanta, and Glennwood Park.

Expect a new thread in the next 2 weeks or so and again, Thank you all for the positive comments! You've inspired a new hobby in me and I hope I can deliver more awesome photos for you guys!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos