HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:34 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Yes, it was renamed Society if you recall. I think they were planning to use the X Phoenix brand for another building further north.
Correct. The new proposed building up North would be next to the new Urban Living on Fillmore residential on 2nd Ave/Fillmore. The lot is currently used for the ASU construction staging area. The working name is X Basecamp and proposed to be 244'.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Correct. The new proposed building up North would be next to the new Urban Living on Fillmore residential on 2nd Ave/Fillmore. The lot is currently used for the ASU construction staging area. The working name is X Basecamp and proposed to be 244'.
Thanks, I tried to go back and find where we talked about this but couldn't.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 8:48 PM

Sources: Samsung eyeing sites in Valley for massive chipmaking plant

Whoah...didn't see this coming. Give the same deal given to TSMC and let's wrap this up!

Seems like a no-brainer...PHX is now a semiconductor hub. For reference, TSMC is a $12B investment.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...jor-plant.html
Quote:
Technology giant Samsung Electronics Co. is considering multiple sites in the Valley, along with sites in New York and Texas, for a $17 billion semiconductor plant, the Wall Street Journal first reported.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Whoah...didn't see this coming. Give the same deal given to TSMC and let's wrap this up!

Seems like a no-brainer...PHX is now a semiconductor hub. For reference, TSMC is a $12B investment.

Coronavirus has shown the weakness of modern supply lines. China continues to get more expensive (and bellicose) and the southwest has Mexico that is already cheaper in some cases than Chinese labor (plus automation) it will continue to become increasingly safe and cost effective to reshore certain types of manufacturing to North America.

There are simple hard realities that soar above transient politics

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:

This will likely go to Austin as most of these type of developments do.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:03 PM

After Phoenix just landed TMSC and several others to support the supply chain, why make the claim that it will probably go to Austin like most do? I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:07 PM

Unfortunately we often lose out to Austin for tech and manufacturing. But maybe if some of the suppliers are common to TMSC and Samsung there could be some economies of scale.

I'd go all-in if I'm Phoenix (or any other valley city) to get this. Match anything Texas is offering. This could setup very nicely for the future of our state and start to snowball.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:43 PM

It probably helps Arizona compete for microchip manufacturing being the copper state and all.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Look at this guy, stuck in a dead paradigm.

Austin is for nerds and try-hards. People who cant make friends at home have to move to Austin to feel good.

Goofing aside I dont understand what is so special about Austin, its not a huge city it cant take every development the people simply aren't there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:21 AM

Austin is definitely the incumbent to get it since Samsung already has facilities in Austin and owns a large amount of land there. I think the supply chain with TSMC coming here helps, but our City/State incentives would need to not only meet, but beat what Austin is providing to steal it away from them. They may just be shopping around to force Austin's hand to make them pony up on some extra benefits like moving the road free of charge like the article mentioned. Would be great if AZ could land it though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not advocating for any city because I don't have any say in the process. But it looks like Samsung is playing the incentives game here. Last fall they bought 200 plus acres adjacent to their Austin factory, and Samsung is in process of getting the site permitted for a "future" project. When the news first came out about the factory, Austin was the only site mentioned. The next day Samsung released info that two sites around Austin, two in the Phoenix area and one in Upstate New York were in the running. Each of the two sites in Austin and Phoenix are probably in different cities/counties to create an incentive bidding war. New York was just thrown in there IMO to increase bidding because upstate NY is known for semiconductor manufacturing. I think the preference is Phoenix or Austin since they are pitting two locations in both Metros against each other.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
After Phoenix just landed TMSC and several others to support the supply chain, why make the claim that it will probably go to Austin like most do? I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.
It's not a claim, its a fact and as you can see others responses. This validates my "claim"

How many times have Phoenix or AZ won a company that had Austin in the mix? I mean major company not small itty bitty... lol

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:10 AM
Skyriser

Samsung is probably just baiting Phoenix along with everyone else. It's not that Phoenix "loses out" to these sites, it was never in serious contention.

But to think that TSMC made Phoenix a semiconductor hub kind of ignores the fact that for decades it has had headquarters or major facilities for Freescale/NXP, On, Intel, Microchip, SUMCO, plus whatever I'm forgetting or has been closed.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:21 AM

I have a few clients who are in that world, they all got excited when tsmc was announced. All of them, in separate conversations, said it was a really big deal. I don't know anything more than that.

I also say that the guy above is apparently miss cleo. Knows the future. Pal, it's a claim. It can't be anything more than that. No one on this website knows whether they'll choose austin, Phoenix or Tucumcari, NM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I have a few clients who are in that world, they all got excited when tsmc was announced. All of them, in separate conversations, said it was a really big deal. I don't know anything more than that.

I also say that the guy above is apparently miss cleo. Knows the future. Pal, it's a claim. It can't be anything more than that. No one on this website knows whether they'll choose austin, Phoenix or Tucumcari, NM.
You know, I stayed out of the many arguments about others not liking you. You make it very difficult to discuss issues with if they are not of your own beliefs....
grow up and move on.

It's okay to admit when you have little knowledge of that specific industry....

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:29 AM
Skyriser

I distinctively remember Apple having major facilities in Austin and then they threw something out there to the Phoenix area for some sort of expansion to test the waters but of course Austin took it.

I would wager that Austin probably has more weight in dotcom/startup tech than Phoenix but comparing chip manufacturing itself Phoenix is far ahead. That can be a bonus or an impediment depending if Samsung wants to be the only game in town.

From a property tax perspective, however, Phoenix blows Texas out of the water. I wouldn't count Phoenix out at all for this reason alone. An office building full of well-paid Apple nerds is small potatoes when it comes to a massive fab like Samsung is proposing.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:34 AM

Deleted because I'm stooping to a keyboard warrior's level and feel stupid over it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:55 AM

Quote:
It's not a claim, its a fact and as you can see others responses. This validates my "claim"

How many times have Phoenix or AZ won a company that had Austin in the mix? I mean major company not small itty bitty... lol
How can it be a "fact" when the decision hasn't even been made?

Samsung may very well choose Austin but to assume it's a foregone conclusion, then this is where you are jumping the gun.

And the last time PHX beat Austin? How about TSMC? LOL It was a national search to find its 2nd manufacturing plant and TSMC has Chip Design Center in Austin.

Regardless, I hope AZ/Ducey pulls out all the stops to land this...let's keep this chip manufacturing momentum going.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:02 AM
Skyriser

^ Seriously, it's bad enough to dig trenches around conjecture but flat out ridiculous to go on the offense.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
How can it be a "fact" when the decision hasn't even been made?
This is what I was getting at last night before he went nuclear. I think there are two different discussions going on and I want nothing to do with the one that's just an argument about phoenix vs austin.

I'm interested in reading this article about the Phoenix housing market but it's closed for me. I recall someone on this website being good at getting around it. Any help?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ow-survey.html

Last edited by biggus diggus; Jan 26, 2021 at 2:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest