HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:54 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i have heard that the second tower is not a sure thing yet.
It's Winnipeg. We all know that in Winnipeg the second tower is always the exception...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:02 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's Winnipeg. We all know that in Winnipeg the second tower is always the exception...
"One of the towers" is the exception.

Like at TNS, one of the towers at SkyCity may not be built.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:18 PM
Speak the truth, then run

It looks like they're prepping CityPlace for the skywalk to TNS. Complete with a pedestrian tunnel.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 6:52 PM
Ignore these four words.

Next page.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 11:55 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I’ve also heard the second tower of the TD building development at Portage and Main might not happen. Fingers crossed though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 3:45 AM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jan 22, 2018 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:40 PM
BANNED

While i'm sure it won't be as iconic, it's reminiscent of Toronto's city hall. I like it

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jan 22, 2018 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

TREVOR HAGAN / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
As exciting as the TNS project is for Winnipeg, I have to admit I'm still a little envious of the recent developments under construction in Edmonton - Ice District Block B (476 ft), JW Marriott (627 ft) and Stantec Headquarters (823 ft) along with the proposed Alldritt Tower (919 ft). Those developments continue to make it seem like Winnipeg is a slow growth/no growth city based on our tallest building (201 Portage at 420 ft) being completed 28 years ago in 1990.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:24 PM
surely you agree with me

If you measure urban quality by almost anything other than height of buildings, Edmonton is not an upgrade on Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Right Brent. Developers are racing to build in downtown Winnipeg because everyone wants to be there. Meanwhile, nothing is being built there because there is very little demand. Get over yourself. The reality is that downtown Hamilton and Halifax are killing Winnipeg in terms of new developments. If you are fooling anyone it is only yourself.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

That's ironic, in a thread about two buildings being built there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:12 PM
BANNED

That feels forced? Make no mistake: these buildings are not being built because of demand. I do not think it is fair comparing Edmonton to Winnipeg (though I am guilty of doing this in the past) because of oil & gas money, but I would hang my head in shame as a Winnipegger comparing what is happening in downtown Halifax to downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:13 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That feels forced? Make no mistake: these buildings are not being built because of demand.
Right - they're being built because companies routinely throw money away. That's why this is said company's 3rd and 4th building there in less than half a decade.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Right - they're being built because companies routinely throw money away. That's why this is said company's 3rd and 4th building there in less than half a decade.
They are building not because of demand. You can ask Chipman why, but I suspect it is his way of trying to help revitalize the downtown. The companies moving in are existing companies, which will leave vacancies in other buildings.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
They are building not because of demand. You can ask Chipman why, but I suspect it is his way of trying to help revitalize the downtown. The companies moving in are existing companies, which will leave vacancies in other buildings.
And those vacancies will be filled by other companies, forcing other properties further down the list to improve or convert to residential.

Too often, you let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Edmonton is a different city with a totally different set of factors propelling things there. Downtown Winnipeg has been going in the right direction on almost all fronts.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
And those vacancies will be filled by other companies, forcing other properties further down the list to improve or convert to residential.

Too often, you let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Edmonton is a different city with a totally different set of factors propelling things there. Downtown Winnipeg has been going in the right direction on almost all fronts.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul. What other companies? It takes decades to fill office space in Winnipeg.

Also, on another note, why have you not commented on anything here until I posted? You stalking me? I mean, I am used to it, but just curious.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'm definitely not stalking you. I just have a much more positive outlook on life in general.

The idea is that companies in other spaces will take up the spaces at Portage and Main that are being vacated, allowing the other, lower level office space, to be converted to residential, something that is more in demand (especially rental).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 8:46 PM
BANNED

It is not being negative when you base an argument on history. The discussion here has turned to whether or not the entire project will proceed because of a lack of demand. That says a lot.

I can appreciate not converting office space to residential based on structure, but Winnipeg building owners need to get their heads out of their asses and look at this. Why sit with empty space for years, and it does take years to fill space in the downtown. There is currently a lot on the market.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:13 PM

Comparing Winnipeg and Edmonton is a bit of a stretch on a number of factors but Winnipeg and Halifax is a totally legitimate comparison that makes Winnipeg look bad. I have a hard time understanding how a city half our size is outperforming us like that.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 9:29 PM
BANNED

People there want to be downtown, and developers/business leaders there have a greater passion for their downtown, which is reflected in the condition of the heritage buildings there.

If more leaders like the Pollards--who are investing big bucks in the Main Street properties--would come forward and emulate this, downtown Winnipeg could become desirable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan