HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:07 PM

^ I was never a regular there but I used to go after Bomber games at the old stadium... I always liked the old-timey working man St. James vibe in there. It was one of the closest things to a genuine British-style pub in this city. I have to admit I'd be a little disappointed if it went full hipster.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:26 PM

That looks like an old railway hotel now that I actually stopped to look. It isn't but sure looks like some of the ones strewn about the countryside.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I was never a regular there but I used to go after Bomber games at the old stadium... I always liked the old-timey working man St. James vibe in there. It was one of the closest things to a genuine British-style pub in this city. I have to admit I'd be a little disappointed if it went full hipster.
That's what struck me about the place as well: how it felt like a local small city or town bar. It's easy to spot when there's multi-generational groups sitting at the tables, and overall the place was neither predominantly young or old, male or female. Of of course neither very hip/upscale or sketchy/down-and-out. Very much a St. James bar. And this was even later in the evening on weekend nights.

That and it looked remarkably similar to the set of Cheers.

I would hope it retains that spirit and aesthetic, though I would imagine it would be tough for the owners to resist getting on the whole loosely hipster/beer nerd-inspired train which is becoming so prevalent.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
That's what struck me about the place as well: how it felt like a local small city or town bar. It's easy to spot when there's multi-generational groups sitting at the tables, and overall the place was neither predominantly young or old, male or female. Of of course neither very hip/upscale or sketchy/down-and-out. Very much a St. James bar. And this was even later in the evening on weekend nights.

That and it looked remarkably similar to the set of Cheers.

I would hope it retains that spirit and aesthetic, though I would imagine it would be tough for the owners to resist getting on the whole loosely hipster/beer nerd-inspired train which is becoming so prevalent.
The owner said it would have a similar vibe but be much larger. Maybe they held onto all the woodwork.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 9:04 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
It might have been brought up before, but what happened to the St. James hotel. It looks closed. If it is, what are the plans for the building or site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Fire.
"Developer Arson"?

It was "Leyland Hotel'd"?

BTW, local history bit...In 1920...that was the year that Assiniboia, St. James, Brooklands separated for a few decades.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:29 AM

I asked at the St. James Hotel vendor about a week ago. The guy said November or December re-opening for the hotel. Take that for what it’s worth.

It would be a shame if they changed the vibe too much in there. It’s a great neighbourhood pub with good beers on tap and decent pub food. Couldn’t hurt to open up the main floor and merge the restaurant with the bar. But keep the Regal Beagle style vintage woodwork. That’s the charm of the place.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
"Developer Arson"?

It was "Leyland Hotel'd"?

BTW, local history bit...In 1920...that was the year that Assiniboia, St. James, Brooklands separated for a few decades.
Do you have any links to anything about this? I would love to read more about it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I se the CMHR is on the new 10 dollar bill, with Viola Desmond.
Very cool.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:43 PM

I'm sure I've posted this link before, but ICYMI the U of M has a pretty awesome collection of Henry Kalen photos. It's perfect for nerding out over mid-century Winnipeg design.

https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...t/uofm%3Akalen

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 5:40 PM

This goes for all of MB, but the Manitoba Trucking Association is furious with the province's carbon tax plan. Article says they actually support a carbon tax and don't mind paying it, but are angry that the taxes are going into the province's general coffers to reduce debt, and not being used on green initiatives. I think it's great they're standing up for that.

The really bad news here is that Bison Transport has said they've already started to license new trucks in Ontario so their carbon taxes go to the right places. Pallister's "industry-friendly" carbon tax plan is already backfiring.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...481983943.html

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This goes for all of MB, but the Manitoba Trucking Association is furious with the province's carbon tax plan. Article says they actually support a carbon tax and don't mind paying it, but are angry that the taxes are going into the province's general coffers to reduce debt, and not being used on green initiatives. I think it's great they're standing up for that.

The really bad news here is that Bison Transport has said they've already started to license new trucks in Ontario so their carbon taxes go to the right places. Pallister's "industry-friendly" carbon tax plan is already backfiring.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...481983943.html
Tho money isn't going to the deficit. Pallister's Carbon Tax set up to off set the Personal Tax Exemption limit. This year it was set to increase 1010 at a savings of just over $100 million to tax payers, roughly the same as the impact of the carbon tax this year which is supposed to start in September. The Exemption will then increase another $1010 at a total savings to tax payers of close to $240 million, roughly the same as the Carbon tax will take in.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 5:55 PM

Pallister was mandated by the feds to implement the Carbon Tax so he used it to directly benefit Tax payer. Actually it also affects the most at risk low income earners by removing as many as 30,000 people from paying income tax all together.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Tho money isn't going to the deficit. Pallister's Carbon Tax set up to off set the Personal Tax Exemption limit. This year it was set to increase 1010 at a savings of just over $100 million to tax payers, roughly the same as the impact of the carbon tax this year which is supposed to start in September. The Exemption will then increase another $1010 at a total savings to tax payers of close to $240 million, roughly the same as the Carbon tax will take in.
I thought he said he was using it to drop the PST back to 7%.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I thought he said he was using it to drop the PST back to 7%.
Is it just a coincidence that the amounts generated in Carbon Tax over the next two years is roughly the same as the amount lost in raising the Exemption? At the end of the day what he says doesn't really matter.

The exemption lowered taxes, the carbon tax increased them, lower PST lowers tax revenue. When that time comes they will need to do something to increase revenue. I have no idea what though, maybe just take the hit to the deficit? That would mean more cuts coming in the second term.

Personally I would rather see the PST stay where it is and balance the budget quicker. That way we could start running a surplus sooner and move to consciously improving services with value for money initiatives that improve services for all Manitobans equally.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:13 PM

What's the deficit at now? Down from $1B to $500m or something like that? Long way to go before we run a surplus. I will say Brian P has done a good job in getting that number down. However, it's produced a domino effect the City, among others, are trying to deal with. Basically as expected. Also seems the health changes aren't rolling out as smoothly as they hoped. It's behind schedule with a few headaches. Overall though it seems to be going okay.

I heard a rumour (maybe in the news??) that the Province is trying to back out of funding the phase 2 of transitway which is under construction.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Pallister was mandated by the feds to implement the Carbon Tax so he used it to directly benefit Tax payer. Actually it also affects the most at risk low income earners by removing as many as 30,000 people from paying income tax all together.
Yeah but he isn't actually following the rules of it, and over long term his plan is to collect less than the feds require.

Quote:
Is it just a coincidence that the amounts generated in Carbon Tax over the next two years is roughly the same as the amount lost in raising the Exemption? At the end of the day what he says doesn't really matter.

The exemption lowered taxes, the carbon tax increased them, lower PST lowers tax revenue. When that time comes they will need to do something to increase revenue. I have no idea what though, maybe just take the hit to the deficit? That would mean more cuts coming in the second term.

Personally I would rather see the PST stay where it is and balance the budget quicker. That way we could start running a surplus sooner and move to consciously improving services with value for money initiatives that improve services for all Manitobans equally.
Completely agree.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah but he isn't actually following the rules of it, and over long term his plan is to collect less than the feds require.
I think he did that because by the time he his cap is below the Fed mandated cap another Federal election will have already passed. He wants to wait and see if Trudeau gets in again before he commits to increasing it. The way Pallist can still claim to be opposed and defiant to the tax.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's the deficit at now? Down from $1B to $500m or something like that? Long way to go before we run a surplus. I will say Brian P has done a good job in getting that number down. However, it's produced a domino effect the City, among others, are trying to deal with. Basically as expected. Also seems the health changes aren't rolling out as smoothly as they hoped. It's behind schedule with a few headaches. Overall though it seems to be going okay.

I heard a rumour (maybe in the news??) that the Province is trying to back out of funding the phase 2 of transitway which is under construction.
Yes and no, remember Pot will be legal soon. The taxation from that will bring in hundreds of millions. I think I saw an estimate around $200 million. Without any cuts, the province could lower its deficit to $300 million in the next budget. We could be just 3-4 years away from surplus. That would be huge for this province.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 2:44 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Yes and no, remember Pot will be legal soon. The taxation from that will bring in hundreds of millions. I think I saw an estimate around $200 million.
So people will buy pot instead of alcohol. What you gain in pot taxes you lose in alcohol taxes.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 2:49 PM

It's the buying of pot off the government instead of the dealers that's going to make all the difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan