HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:48 AM
Future God

Bucksnort, TN shares the same latitude as Alpha Centauri!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 6:07 AM
E pluribus unum

Meteor Crater: In a state renowned for it's giant holes, that one's not the result of eons of erosion.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 10:34 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Cincinnati, OH, named for the Roman general Cincinnatus, is further south than Rome and almost the entire boot of Italy.
I was a teenager before I learned that Cincinnati wasn't a Native American word or some such.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 12:49 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
all the freshest of the unusual/tropical fruit in the lower 48 comes from the tip of florida from farms around homestead — its the only area with a bonafide tropical monsoon climate:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...-united-states
ive stopped at fruit stands there on my way to the everglades. i hope there is some kind of agricultural reserve established in that area but the us doesnt seem to concerned with that kind of thing with latin america on our doorstep.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:52 PM

I was looking at boundaries of South Miami, FL and noticed that literally single houses were exclaves. Is there any explanation as to why there are so many exclaves.

https://www.southmiamifl.gov/Documen...ing-Map?bidId=

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I was a teenager before I learned that Cincinnati wasn't a Native American word or some such.
i learned about the name's etymology a little bit earlier because i did a school report on the city in 4th grade (i got an "A+"), but yeah, Cincinnati totally sounds like a word that could have a native american derivation.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:37 PM

when i was a kid i think i thought there was just one big city in ohio...cincinnati on the lake, wkrp and all that...like a smaller chicago with the reds, pete rose, the indians (?), old small deco skyscrapers.

i was a national league kid so american league cities didnt exist unless there was a world series.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i learned about the name's etymology a little bit earlier because i did a school report on the city in 4th grade (i got an "A+"), but yeah, Cincinnati totally sounds like a word that could have a native american derivation.
A girl in my program from Japan went to an English school in Tokyo where they learned seemingly all American place names. She said that they emphasized the three big Ohio cities early on to teach the different ways the letter C is pronounced and combines with following letters.

Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

Yep, and when I became aware of the Roman origin, I began to think of the possibility that Mississauga might have been a Roman emperor too, and likewise; his mistress Missoula.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
when i was a kid i think i thought there was just one big city in ohio...cincinnati on the lake, wkrp and all that...like a smaller chicago with the reds, pete rose, the indians (?), old small deco skyscrapers.
I didn't strongly associate Cincinnati with Ohio when I was a kid. I grew up watching reruns of old TV shows that strongly associated with cities, and not so much with states those cities are located. Same goes for a few other cities, like Chicago and Milwaukee. It's irrational, though, because while I associate Los Angeles strongly with California, I associate San Francisco less strongly with the state.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I didn't strongly associate Cincinnati with Ohio when I was a kid. I grew up watching reruns of old TV shows that strongly associated with cities, and not so much with states those cities are located. Same goes for a few other cities, like Chicago and Milwaukee. It's irrational, though, because while I associate Los Angeles strongly with California, I associate San Francisco less strongly with the state.
a great one that was just like...an 70s/80s city somewhere was Hill Street Blues.

i stumbled upon Hill St in LA a few years ago and thought hmm, must have been set in LA? i went back and watched it...it was gritty great lakesy scenes stitched with los angeles so then i was really confused, lol.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
a great one that was just like...an 70s/80s city somewhere was Hill Street Blues.

i stumbled upon Hill St in LA a few years ago and thought hmm, must have been set in LA? i went back and watched it...it was gritty great lakesy scenes stitched with los angeles so then i was really confused, lol.
I never really got into HSB, but I always assumed it was supposed to be NYC lol. I never paid it close attention so I'll have to watch it again soon.

Also, to spark the L.A. as a Midwest cousin debate again, there's a show on NBC now called Good Girls that is set in Detroit but filmed in L.A. I watched the entire first season before I realized that all of the exterior scenes were shot in L.A. I knew the scenes weren't Detroit, but a lot of the shots looked very "generic city and suburb in the Midwest."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I never really got into HSB, but I always assumed it was supposed to be NYC lol. I never paid it close attention so I'll have to watch it again soon.

Also, to spark the L.A. as a Midwest cousin debate again, there's a show on NBC now called Good Girls that is set in Detroit but filmed in L.A. I watched the entire first season before I realized that all of the exterior scenes were shot in L.A. I knew the scenes weren't Detroit, but a lot of the shots looked very "generic city and suburb in the Midwest."
the founder/designer of my “utopian” pre-war suburb in metro st. louis went on to found atascadero, ca and then made a run at developing palos verdes, somehow ended up in prison and bankrupt.

this is the classic midwest-to-socal twentieth century trajectory, lol.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:10 PM
E pluribus unum

For what it's worth, Cincinnati doesn't usually like to associate itself with Ohio, either. I always felt like an oddball being a Ohio State fan there instead of UC, Notre Dame, Xavier or UK.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:

It's funny but I never got into Hill Street Blues either, but I caught some episodes here and there when I was a kid, and always assumed it was set in Chicago, just going by the opening credits---though I don't know where the opening credits were actually filmed. And at the time, I had never even been to Chicago, I was just going by pictures of what I'd seen of it up to that point in my life.

And the show was shot in LA. From what I've read online, there was no specific setting for the show, but the producers decided to give it that combo Great Lakes/East Coast feel, or something like that.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolo View Post
I was looking at boundaries of South Miami, FL and noticed that literally single houses were exclaves. Is there any explanation as to why there are so many exclaves.

https://www.southmiamifl.gov/Documen...ing-Map?bidId=
If I remember correctly, when the city was annexing a neighborhood, basically individual homes were able to opt out or in. I think this was done back in like the 50s or 60s. Things like this are not allowed anymore but the weird things like these are grandfathered in.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 9:57 AM
if I sang out of tune

surprising neighbours by latitude:

NYC - Tashkent

Shanghai - Jacksonville / Cairo

Toronto -Monaco

Tokyo - Tehran

Osaka - Baghdad

Chicago -Istanbul

London -northern tip of Newfoundland

Boston - Almaty, Kazakstan

Cape Town - Buenos Aires

Hong Kong - Havana

St Louis - Athens

Stockholm - southern tip of Greenland

Paris - Winnipeg

Pyongyang - Cordoba (southern Spain)

Vladivostok - Nice

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 12:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
For what it's worth, Cincinnati doesn't usually like to associate itself with Ohio, either. I always felt like an oddball being a Ohio State fan there instead of UC, Notre Dame, Xavier or UK.
its the same in cleveland. its a notre dame city. or was anyway when i was a kid. cleveland stadium has hosted nd games.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 12:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
ive stopped at fruit stands there on my way to the everglades. i hope there is some kind of agricultural reserve established in that area but the us doesnt seem to concerned with that kind of thing with latin america on our doorstep.
it does have that, its in the article in the link:

The Tropical Research and Education Center in Homestead, Florida—or TREC.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 7:39 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
its the same in cleveland. its a notre dame city. or was anyway when i was a kid. cleveland stadium has hosted nd games.
Interesting. I always thought Cleveland was a stronghold for Ohio State, especially more so than Cincinnati, which is suspicious of anyone/anything outside of 275.

Then again, I'm guessing Cleveland has a big Catholic population, just like Cincinnati? Does Cleveland also have an abnormally large amount of unisex parochial schools? I think that's another reason why ND has (had?) such a huge following in the Tri-State.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions