HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Still can’t seem to understand if the site is approved and how it well be paid for?
Funding for the stadium and surrounding areas is at least verbally confirmed.

The Stadium is set to be paid for by a mixture of Public and Private funds. RDA and TRT funds for infrastructure, parking, signage, etc.. Nearby entertainment, hotel, restaurants, and housing will be fully private funds. Stadium itself will be built with private funds but will receive post tax credits, similar to how the CCH was funded. The Stadium may receive additional tax deferred credits from the surrounding entertainment district.

There is also a verbal agreement on the land lease/purchase from RMP.

I don't have any other information but I know that if/when SLC is awarded an MLB franchise, things will be moving quickly.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:26 PM
Space Magi

All good news. Hopefully we will see some new stadium renderings soon. I've heard it's a mass timber design, which is cool.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

The Stadium is set to be paid for by a mixture of Public and Private funds. RDA and TRT funds for infrastructure, parking, signage, etc.. Nearby entertainment, hotel, restaurants, and housing will be fully private funds. Stadium itself will be built with private funds but will receive post tax credits, similar to how the CCH was funded. The Stadium may receive additional tax deferred credits from the surrounding entertainment district.

I don't have any other information but I know that if/when SLC is awarded an MLB franchise, things will be moving quickly.
Good to hear. I really hope (if it happens, of course) that this stadium district goes all out and isn't half assed. Entertainment, retail, condos, apartments, the works.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:34 PM

Quote:

What do we have stating the funding is approved, especially the public piece? Does it have to go to vote?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Sorry! It won't work on the website. You have go on the YouTube.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 2:59 PM

Dupe

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:

I don't have any other information but I know that if/when SLC is awarded an MLB franchise, things will be moving quickly.[
I don't think it works this way, I think you show the plan then get awarded, at least to the best of my knowledge. It all feels to speculative to me but maybe there's a lot going on privately that the public isn't able to see/hear about. I haven't seen a single thing published stating that a financing plan is in place, polls suggest that any type of public support is not a slam dunk either. The last comments from Cox on the topic was that no financing discussions have happened.

"There have currently been no discussions about financing, but the governor has been clear that protecting taxpayers will always be at the forefront of these discussions,” a spokesperson for Cox told the Deseret News."

https://frontofficesports.com/utah-r...l-mlb-stadium/

Last edited by locolife; Sep 24, 2023 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:05 PM

New article

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2023/...s-larry-miller

2 things:

A: ownership group seems very confident MLB to SLC will happen

B: if it happens, Bees will be staying in the market. New stadium breaks ground this month (still no renderings that I have found

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 11:52 PM
They all float down here

What will they call 'em? The South Valley Bees? The South Jordan Bees? The Utah Bees? The Daybreak Bees?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
What will they call 'em? The South Valley Bees? The South Jordan Bees? The Utah Bees? The Daybreak Bees?
The Salt Lake (County) Bees

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
New article

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2023/...s-larry-miller

2 things:

A: ownership group seems very confident MLB to SLC will happen

B: if it happens, Bees will be staying in the market. New stadium breaks ground this month (still no renderings that I have found
They do sound very confident about landing an expansion team. Can’t wait for some actual project details and a possible expansion timeline to come out.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
They do sound very confident about landing an expansion team. Can’t wait for some actual project details and a possible expansion timeline to come out.
Problem is going to come when MLB wants an expansion city to have an approved stadium plan in place before they vote to expand, but the city/county/state won't approve a stadium until they've secured the expansion. It's much easier if it's fully privately financed, or if you're a pro sports owner in Las Vegas and everything gets approved, but here it's not going to be that easy.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. I really hope (if it happens, of course) that this stadium district goes all out and isn't half assed. Entertainment, retail, condos, apartments, the works.
From my end, I believe we've done a really nice job with the masterplan. This however, began before the stadium announcement. We'll see how that shakes up when or if it is confirmed. I can tell you that RMP & GIV are very happy with what has been completed so far. So, we'll see what impact the new stadium will have on it. We have proposed to keep the stacks and the adjacent brick generator building...lots of green space & activity surrounding it and the river. We also have a proposed green loop that connects the entire 100 acres. Lots of mixed-use residential, a mixed-use civic area, lots of density & vibrancy, makerspace, a retail row, etc. Phase 1 of the masterplan has begun with site work. The RMP HQ should start construction at the beginning of next year, hopefully.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 9, 2023 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:38 AM

Media market moving up

Salt Lake is now the 27th biggest media market, moving on up. This bodes well for MLB or NHL

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...023/10/23.aspx

Among the major league sports markets making moves is Salt Lake City, which jumped up two spots to No. 27, passing a pair of AFC North markets in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Salt Lake is now the 27th biggest media market, moving on up. This bodes well for MLB or NHL

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...023/10/23.aspx

Among the major league sports markets making moves is Salt Lake City, which jumped up two spots to No. 27, passing a pair of AFC North markets in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
Great news. That means SLC is now ahead of these cities with a major professional team (# of teams in parenthesis):

Pittsburgh (3)
Baltimore (2)
San Diego
San Antonio
Columbus
Kansas City (2)
Cincinnati (2)
Milwaukee (2)
Las Vegas (2)
Jacksonville
OKC
New Orleans (2)
Memphis
Buffalo (2)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Great news. That means SLC is now ahead of these cities with a major professional team (# of teams in parenthesis):

Pittsburgh (3)
Baltimore (2)
San Diego
San Antonio
Columbus
Kansas City (2)
Cincinnati (2)
Milwaukee (2)
Las Vegas (2)
Jacksonville
OKC
New Orleans (2)
Memphis
Buffalo (2)
These can be a little bit tricky, Salt Lake's media market is probably the largest geographically of any in the country. I'm pretty sure it covers the entire state plus some of Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming.

What that means is places like Pittsburgh and San Antonio will pull from other media markets that are adjacent. The Spurs will benefit from the full Austin media market as well as SA. Pittsburgh benefits from parts of Ohio, other parts of PA, parts of WV, and maybe even New York areas.

1.1M is good and moving up is better than moving down but these are hard to compare sometimes. Also does anyone know how these stats people who cut the cord?

https://tbh.lerctr.org/~ekb/TVMarkets/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:20 AM

Quote:
These can be a little bit tricky, Salt Lake's media market is probably the largest geographically of any in the country. I'm pretty sure it covers the entire state plus some of Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming.

What that means is places like Pittsburgh and San Antonio will pull from other media markets that are adjacent. The Spurs will benefit from the full Austin media market as well as SA. Pittsburgh benefits from parts of Ohio, other parts of PA, parts of WV, and maybe even New York areas.

1.1M is good and moving up is better than moving down but these are hard to compare sometimes. Also does anyone know how these stats people who cut the cord?

https://tbh.lerctr.org/~ekb/TVMarkets/
Of course. And Cincinnati has Dayton, etc. Yes, SLC has a huge geographic footprint, but the vast majority of eyeballs are concentrated in the Wasatch Front.

As far as San Antonio, yeah, they pull in some of Austin, but Austin is nowhere close to Spurs crazy as San antonio. Source: me. I live in San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Of course. And Cincinnati has Dayton, etc. Yes, SLC has a huge geographic footprint, but the vast majority of eyeballs are concentrated in the Wasatch Front.

As far as San Antonio, yeah, they pull in some of Austin, but Austin is nowhere close to Spurs crazy as San antonio. Source: me. I live in San Antonio
It's the benefit of an extended media market thanks to proximity. SLC just doesn't get that benefit and that's not apparent if you look at singular media markets exclusively. It's another unique aspect of SLC's relatively isolated location.

The Spurs 100% want to be Austin market's NBA team, they even play 2 home games there this year.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 1:14 AM

Quote:
The Spurs 100% want to be Austin market's NBA team, they even play 2 home games there this year.
Yup, 100%. They are certainly trying.

All that said, I get your point for sure, but SLC moving up 2 spots sure ain't a bad thing!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 2:11 AM

Hi all,

MLB owners has been approved for Oakland Athletics to relocation to Las Vegas. Look like they find a new temporary home in Salt Lake City. Once the new stadium is built and they will be ready for 2028 seasons. Once the construction is completed. They will be in Las Vegas Stadium in 2028 regular seasons.

https://www.deseret.com/2023/11/17/2...faVNTu2_2uWgv4

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West