HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 1:34 AM

Prelim 2017 budget has some transit route extensions.

• Bus routes effective September 2017
– Amber Trails ‐ Extension of Route 33 ‐ Maples to provide 7 days a week, all day
service
– Bridgwater Lakes and Bridgwater Centre ‐ Extensions to Routes 84/86 to provide 7 days a week, all day service
-South Pointe ‐ Modifications to Route 72 to provide daytime service connecting South Pointe to the University of Manitoba

Can't speak for the other routes but service to amber trails is in serious need of more frequent routes. Caught the 35 to my moms house the other day and the bus stopped taking passengers by the bay cause it was packed. Must have skipped close to twenty people before getting to mcphillips. Considering its over 20 mins between buses that's pretty frustrating.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 11:15 PM

There needs to be additional buses on 162/137/170. Doesn't matter what time I get on, they're always SRO.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 2:35 PM

Welcome to life with Winnipeg Transit. On my trip downtown, buses on both 44 routes or 43 in the AM and PM are usually SRO. Not usually, always. Everyday. I suspect it's like that on most of the routes going downtown.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Once upon a time, someone had a vision for Winnipeg...
P&M, next stop U of W. How is a woman supposed to get the kid's stroller up those stairs?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I wonder if Transit has any plans to fix up Graham Ave. The road is in terrible shape, but I guess it's mostly for buses anyways. Cyclists have to navigate the endless holes where the paving stones are. They've recently patched up a number of locations with asphalt, which lead to my comment.
A few years ago they tore the intersections up and poured new 10 inch thick concrete. Massive expense! Hopefully the concrete is still good and it's just the bricks on top that are destroyed.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:37 PM

New video posted with an update on the RT line from Pembina to IGF. Lots done already!

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-...-corridor/news

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
A few years ago they tore the intersections up and poured new 10 inch thick concrete. Massive expense! Hopefully the concrete is still good and it's just the bricks on top that are destroyed.
Really? The concrete in those intersection seem to be in terrible shape.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
New video posted with an update on the RT line from Pembina to IGF. Lots done already!

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-...-corridor/news
Made good progress with the weather this year. They'll be working on the ramps and bridge structure for the overhead walkway to IGF this winter.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Really? The concrete in those intersection seem to be in terrible shape.
If the new concrete under the sunken and broken bricks is destroyed that would not be good. Concrete that thick is too expensive to not last for decades.
They did every intersection from Fort to Donald, I think Donald, on Graham.
It did not take long for the bricks to fail. They also had some road/drainage problems in front of the former post office on Graham and had to pour new concrete there. Busses are just too heavy.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 10:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

most of graham is pushing 30 yrs now

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
They also had some road/drainage problems in front of the former post office on Graham and had to pour new concrete there. .
Are you taking about the section in the service road between Graham and the old Post Office building?

If so that section was taken up and rebuilt due to the need to take out the old underground fuel tank for the building emergency generator system. The city put a new system in off St. Mary Ave and by law they had to remove the old tank on Graham.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:56 PM

About five 4-floor condo buildings have gone up along the fort rouge rapid transit line. They went up quickly. They are all ugly and cookie cutter but that really doesn't matter considering the location. It's nice to finally see progress there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 9:13 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

A Letter to the Editor of Winnipeg Sun on Transit was published today, Sunday Dec. 4th, 2016 re: crappy service of 55 St. Anne's bus requesting more service.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 10:15 PM

So when is Winnipeg Transit going to add more frequent service to the 55 St. Anne’s route? Sure we have the 60 foot Arctic buses on the 54 and 59 Express routes, but this does not help basic local (stop every stop) service. Years ago I would make speeches to council to keep fares reasonable (or lower them) and to build a rail-based transit line. The problem is that council sees citizens like myself as “non-experts” and so they defer to WT admin. who tell them what to build BRT, and to council who decides to make the bare minimum investments. Until that changes, nothing will increase passenger volumes over at WT.

James Jaworski
here is the letter so u all don't have to go looking for it

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 10:21 PM
There is always a way

The letter captures the essence of the situation nicely. Remember that time that someone on wt administration said that winnipegers didn't want wifi on buses and stops? Huge wtf moment

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:31 PM

I think there's a general problem with society when you'll only take transit because of wifi. The last thing you should be worried about is your wifi connection. Would it be nice to have wifi on the bus, so I could potentially reduce my data plan costs. of course. But then they City is paying for the wifi set-up, etc. When Transit is already subsidized quite heavily.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 3:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
I think there's a general problem with society when you'll only take transit because of wifi. The last thing you should be worried about is your wifi connection. Would it be nice to have wifi on the bus, so I could potentially reduce my data plan costs. of course. But then they City is paying for the wifi set-up, etc. When Transit is already subsidized quite heavily.
You raise a fair and valid point but I was thinking more along the lines that the administration is grossly out of touch with realities or willfully negligent and they are not reflecting the realities of the citizens in their jurisdiction.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 2:33 PM

WT should have one priority: Better, faster, more regular service.

What's the point of wifi hotspots if I'm sitting at a stop in -30 waiting for a late bus? And what, I'm going to watch Netflix while standing in a sardine-packed rush-hour bus?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:27 PM

http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr...20161222.stm#1

The City has awarded (finally) the eastern corridor study to MMM Group. Which is a bit surprising as the Cities preferred transit consultant, Dillon Consulting, didn't get the work. Most of you may have heard of MMM Group as of late, as they were the consultant on the failed Marion Widening functional design. Hopefully things go much better on the eastern study. The City trumpets "Significant public engagement will be a cornerstone of this project, setting a new standard for thoroughness and making extensive use of best practices".

I'll admit, it is a bit concerning to me.. But I'll look at the glass half full on this one, for now.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
http://winnipeg.ca/cao/media/news/nr...20161222.stm#1

The City has awarded (finally) the eastern corridor study to MMM Group. Which is a bit surprising as the Cities preferred transit consultant, Dillon Consulting, didn't get the work. Most of you may have heard of MMM Group as of late, as they were the consultant on the failed Marion Widening functional design. Hopefully things go much better on the eastern study. The City trumpets "Significant public engagement will be a cornerstone of this project, setting a new standard for thoroughness and making extensive use of best practices".

I'll admit, it is a bit concerning to me.. But I'll look at the glass half full on this one, for now.
I don't mean to be glass half empty but I cannot be the only one who thinks the eastern RT Line will be ludicrously expensive. Simply getting buses across downtown through Union Station will require a raised structure and possibly its own bridge across the Assinaboine. Considering you would need new bridges across the Red, Lag and possibly Archibald and expropriation costs the total could easily be half a billion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan