HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 4:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

It looks to be about 13 stories tall from that model. Glad to see all that atrocious parking going away. Great times for downtown Houston. Wish there were this many projects going on or on the way when I lived in Houston house downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
It looks to be about 13 stories tall from that model. Glad to see all that atrocious parking going away. Great times for downtown Houston. Wish there were this many projects going on or on the way when I lived in Houston house downtown.
It's just not an actual portrayal because all accounts points to it being 35 floors.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
thats the new 35 story residential tower thats proposed for the west side of market square. i didnt notice it at first but urbannizer pointed it out to me. though it sure doesnt look 35 stories from this angle. maybe there is a set back in the design and more of the height is on the south side, behind International Tower?
The Hines residential tower is proposed for the block that is southeast of Market Square (Preston and Travis), not west. The red block that photoLith is speaking of is west of Market Square on the northwest corner of Preston and Milam.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:21 AM

Two different mixed-use projects I stumbled upon. Fairly recent, not sure how serious the two proposals are but both have done some work that does exist.

Mid Main

Quote:
Houston's first TOD, Mid Main is a two-block mixed use development right in the city’s up and coming entertainment district that includes the Continental Club, the Ensemble Theatre and the new Match. The design reconfigures theTexas wrap and the concept of the garden apartments residences of Houston. With MidMain’s light rail stop right outside the door, the building will be 70% studios to address the needs and spirit of young professionals, the new demographics that will ride the rail.
http://rogersarchitects.com/mid-main/

University Place

Quote:
A Transit Oriented Development located in the heart of Houston's historic 3rd ward district. University Place encompasses 8 blocks of redevelopment and will be phased for incremental completion. The redevelopment area is uniquely situated between 2 major universities. The University of Houston and Texas Southern University which include a daily population of over 70,000 students, faculty and staff. Additionally, the location is conveniently situated for access between major highways I-45 & I-59 as well as the newly constructed light rail line.
http://www.laidesigngroup.com/mf_univ.html

http://www.laidesigngroup.com/galler...s/mixeduse.pdf

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGulf View Post
The Hines residential tower is proposed for the block that is southeast of Market Square (Preston and Travis), not west. The red block that photoLith is speaking of is west of Market Square on the northwest corner of Preston and Milam.
He is not talking about the Hines residential building next to Frank's Pizza. There is a 35 story residential building proposed for Preston and Milam. No rendering yet that I know of.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTay View Post
He is not talking about the Hines residential building next to Frank's Pizza. There is a 35 story residential building proposed for Preston and Milam. No rendering yet that I know of.
You're right. They just almost have the same floor height that I got confused.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Two different mixed-use projects I stumbled upon. Fairly recent, not sure how serious the two proposals are but both have done some work that does exist.

Mid Main

http://rogersarchitects.com/mid-main/
This one would be in midtown right?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:15 PM

Quote:
807 S. Post Oak

HAIF - Skylineview
I'm familiar with the three cranes, but not the project. Any renders? Will this be more than a midrise?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
The City is looking at different options for the sections of I-45 and I-59 that surround downtown, to give the city better connection to Midtown, the East End and improve pedestrian activity. Alternatives include: Tunnels, parkway, one-way loop and removal.
So Houston's getting a Big Dig? As much as I like how that project turned out, it was 20 years of utter chaos to get there.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
This one would be in midtown right?
Yes, 3600 Main (hope it's actually planned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I'm familiar with the three cranes, but not the project. Any renders? Will this be more than a midrise?
I've searched all around for renderings, can't find anything. It will be 6-stories (2-levels of parking).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud713 View Post
i wouldnt mind them tearing down 45 and rerouting it along 59 and 10.
I think it would be a traffic nightmare. Too many cars being funneled onto a single piece of pavement; they can't build enough lanes for it all.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
It will be 6-stories (2-levels of parking).
Meh.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:

Mid Main

Mid Main confirmed as a serious development.

Quote:
It's serious. The developer owns the block(s) to the south where Continental Club, etc are located. He's a big fan of Austin and wanted to bring a lot of that feel to Houston. I'm not crazy about street abandonment, but this looks like a decent project..
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...town/?p=434508

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:24 PM

This one slipped under the radar.

Corporate headquarters under development

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I'd like to see a serious effort made to lure a major grocery store, a Costco and a retailer like Target to that stretch of downtown. Once you get about 5,000 residents, they're going to need the usual retail establishments and food stores.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
I think it would be a traffic nightmare. Too many cars being funneled onto a single piece of pavement; they can't build enough lanes for it all.
did you see the plans? they have plenty of lanes for both highways. the 45 lanes would still be elevated above 59, and they would be double decked over i10, so its not like we would be getting rid of some lanes/capacity for this proposal.
any proposal but the one way loop will excite me greatly. 2 others have plans for suberging 59 past Minute Maid park, and the other plan consists of getting rid of 45 on the west all together which would open downtown up to mid town.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 7:08 PM

My #1 question is "When are they going to bring In -N-Out Burgers to Houston?"

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 7:13 PM

I don't know how I feel about the idea of getting rid of I45 on the west side. I love driving through there but I also like the idea of connecting Midtown with downtown as well. The only problem I have is that the stretch by St. Joseph hospital is bumpy so it feels like you're on a boat.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 7:52 PM

According to this article, the Business Travel Magazine named the IAH (Bush Airport) as the Best airports if the U.S.

http://www.visitahoustontexas.com/ar...47&menuID=1416

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 8:19 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations