HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:12 PM

It is important to note that while it is supposed to reflect the terminal origin and destination the data is also "as reported by the airlines". So if they are not properly reporting you left YWG, landed in YYC and then connected on the PHX you could be showing as YYC-PHX instead of YWG-PHX. That also does not take into account traffic that is going Winnipeg-GFK/FAR-AZA via Allegiant due to the costs of flights out of YWG that NewLeaf could have captured.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is important to note that while it is supposed to reflect the terminal origin and destination the data is also "as reported by the airlines". So if they are not properly reporting you left YWG, landed in YYC and then connected on the PHX you could be showing as YYC-PHX instead of YWG-PHX. That also does not take into account traffic that is going Winnipeg-GFK/FAR-AZA via Allegiant due to the costs of flights out of YWG that NewLeaf could have captured.
According to their Wikipedia entries, GFK sends 19,000 passengers a year to Phoenix, and FAR has 29,000. I'm sure a substantial part of GFK's figure includes Winnipeggers, but probably a lot less so for FAR. But even if you assumed all of those passengers were Manitobans who'd otherwise fly through YWG, the reality is that YWG would still be far behind YEG, let alone YYC in terms of the overall Phoenix O&D passenger count.

I don't know how Newleaf can be faulted for their actions when allocating their scarce resources to a Winnipeg-Phoenix flight would practically be suicidal going by those numbers. Longer flights, more fuel, smaller market... not a recipe for sure-fire success. Personally, I'd like to see Newleaf last for more than a year even if that means Winnipeg doesn't get direct service everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
So you are right because the airlines lie when they report data to the government, their regulator? Because really an airline has a huge incentive to show that a certain number of people from Terrace, BC flew down south?

The Allegiant is another matter. 19,000 at Grand Forks and 29,000 at Fargo. I'd bet about a third of that is Canadians.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:14 PM

^^ It really depends on when a passenger is counted as US bound. Does it occur when they go through US screen, do they look at the full itinerary or is it something else? The stats that were cited made it clear it was as reported by the airlines but not what criteria where used to determine o/d by the airlines. For example I personally have flown to Phoenix then onto Hawaii but not on the same airline. How is my origin and destination captured in that report?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:27 PM

To Hawaii. Connecting passengers count towards load factors, but O&D is only that. For the airline, if they are following standard transportation economics for a hub system, the profits are 100% generated by the flight segment that has a lower margin, unless the other leg is full, which is how you end up with crazy connections making sense.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 10:37 PM

you know one thing I've finally noticed about our city is we have terrible signage and horrible horrible signage to tell people how to get to our airport. You to go to Vancouver Edmonton Toronto anywhere really and they have big signs says airport this way folks ya know.
Anyone fr the WAA or the City on this that can look into it? Like if route 90 is the main airport route there should be signs all over the perimeter and all parts of the city saying how to get to the airport the fastest way with big signs not those stupid little green ones with a plane on it.
Like a big sign that has Winnipeg Richardson Intl Airport YWG ya know like the other cities have it.
Just something I noticed and see if anyone agrees

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 12:48 AM

^ I didn't think it was a problem... there are a lot of those little plane signs scattered around the city:

But better signage couldn't hurt.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:37 PM

I know it's been mentioned earlier but United cutting back to 3 flights a day (2 x ORD and 1 x DEN) on Dec 16 until at least April. Possibly longer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 12:53 AM
Heart of the Continent

Hong Kong through Chicago - flight and hotel less than $1000 (about $1000 with the reasonable flights). Is it worth it?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Hong Kong through Chicago - flight and hotel less than $1000 (about $1000 with the reasonable flights). Is it worth it?
Yes, Hong Kong is awesome. I've never seen the ticket lower than $850. 1000 is a good price.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:04 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Yes, Hong Kong is awesome. I've never seen the ticket lower than $850. 1000 is a good price.
The plane tickets are actually more than that on their own, but when combined with a hotel (guest house), two people can go right now for less than $1600. To get a more reasonable flight (22 hours instead of 36) brings you to just over 1800. I'm not sure what to do - I have another trip between now and then and that's a lot of money....lol

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The plane tickets are actually more than that on their own, but when combined with a hotel (guest house), two people can go right now for less than $1600. To get a more reasonable flight (22 hours instead of 36) brings you to just over 1800. I'm not sure what to do - I have another trip between now and then and that's a lot of money....lol
I have never regretted travel money spent. But don't go bankrupt either. Also Hong Kong is not cheap for food and drink, it's about the same as Winnipeg in that respect (and only in that respect).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:32 AM

While I'm here, I saw an Antonov at YWG on November 11th. Afwul photo, but I was pretty excited.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
I have never regretted travel money spent. But don't go bankrupt either. Also Hong Kong is not cheap for food and drink, it's about the same as Winnipeg in that respect (and only in that respect).
I love Hong Kong, I'd go so far as to say that it's my favourite city (besides Winnipeg ). The price jmt mentioned sounds pretty good... and while Hong Kong is pricier for food than most other Asian destinations, it's still reasonable and you can keep it cheap without having to eat fast food all the time.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I didn't think it was a problem... there are a lot of those little plane signs scattered around the city:

But better signage couldn't hurt.
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@5...77.6h,-0.1p,1z

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@4...82.46h,9.2p,1z

I think Winnipeg can do a lot better

Side note anyone sees how all the counters changed at the airport?
It's now WestJet, Bearskin, United, Air Canada, Calm Air/First Air, Delta, NewLeaf/Air Transat, Sunwing
Apparently two of the airlines were fighting for counters so the airport authority changed everything

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Right now, if you're willing to take a crappy flight, and stay in a guest house (between a hostel and hotel) you can go for about $750. The better flight brings it up to $950.

I'd love to, and it wouldn't near bankrupt me, but I'm going to have to pass it up at the moment, as much as I'd love to. I'm sure something else will come up in a few months.

If anyone is interested, it's for the dates of May 9-16 on Expedia.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
The airport signs in Edmonton and Vancouver that you've linked to are huge because they're on freeways, where all the signage is huge. We have similar signage on Route 90 at Portage: https://goo.gl/maps/BcYaGsXo51p

Since there's not much in the way of freeways in Winnipeg, it's only natural that there's not much freeway-style signage. Those little green plane signs are the norm on city streets all over Canada. I don't think Winnipeg is deficient at all.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 9:57 PM
Heart of the Continent

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:

While I'm here, I saw an Antonov at YWG on November 11th. Afwul photo, but I was pretty excited.
There were two AN124's on the ground a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was a first for YWG but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 11:59 PM
Heart of the Continent

I've reconsidered. You only live once. I booked for 1$883 for two Tuesday to Tuesday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan