HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 11:42 AM

Crossroads North Atlantic

[QUOTE=statbass;7570831]The North Atlantic/Orange Store next to Crossroads in Donovan's has been renovated over the past few months. It looks as if a restaurant is being attached to it, anyone know what it is? Apologies if this info has been previously posted.... I'm too lazy to look back through the thread.

Saw Subway sign in the windows last week...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

[QUOTE=Tocchet22;7599698]
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
The North Atlantic/Orange Store next to Crossroads in Donovan's has been renovated over the past few months. It looks as if a restaurant is being attached to it, anyone know what it is? Apologies if this info has been previously posted.... I'm too lazy to look back through the thread.

Saw Subway sign in the windows last week...
Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I drove by the Fairfield Marriott on Kenmount Road today and they are prepping that parcel of land in front of it for something with construction equipment and excavator. I read on a earlier post here that there was rumoured that Fionn McCool's (Cara Restaurants) was going there. Anyone got any more info on this rumour?
I heard that the restaurant that is under construction on White Rose @ Aberdeen in front of the late Golf Town is also a Fionn MacCools. Can anyone confirm this? The building is fully framed up.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:46 PM

Was down that way today and it definitely looks like two separate retail spaces being built there. Steel is all up with two separate awnings. Plus looks kinda big for a Fionn MacCools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I heard that the restaurant that is under construction on White Rose @ Aberdeen in front of the late Golf Town is also a Fionn MacCools. Can anyone confirm this? The building is fully framed up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 7:45 PM

So apparently the rumoured restaurant for 199 Kenmount Road which is right in front of the Fairfield Marriott Hotel is Fionn MacCool's. I came across the owner of the franchise on Linkedin. (https://www.linkedin.com/in/grant-hiscock-15311042) which also states 199 Kenmount Rd as the Fionn MacCool's address. I also noticed that the application for a restaurant on that site was approved by city council too. But Fionn MacCool's never responded to my query on whether the rumour was true or not on their facebook page. So much for engaging with costumers via social media. LOL

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 7:46 PM

Just noticed in the city council minutes a permit for Moxies Restaurant at 227 Kenmount Road, which I believe is the new Sandman Hotel. I guess this is confirmation!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 2:42 PM

Some restaurant news from the MUN Gazette about a couple of new eateries coming to the University.

https://gazette.mun.ca/campus-and-co...y/new-vendors/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I’m going to throw this comment in here in the restaurant thread even though it may apply to many other threads, even those not yet thought of.

Friday night I drove through Quidi Vidi Village and was pleased to see Mallard Cottage full (or so it appeared) and dozens of people enjoying the evening outside at the Quidi Vidi Brewery, but I was very disappointed to see the former Flakehouse restaurant falling into disrepair with their prime waterside property roped off dare anyone use it for parking.

When is City Council going to stand up and make something happen down there? I recall seeing a document a few years ago that laid out a great plan to enhance the area and provide more opportunities for public access and business/tourism opportunities. The Plantation is a lovely (although underutilized) building and there is certainly room for similar structures around the water. I realize that there is a history regarding what can and can’t be done with the Flakehouse but to let it stand there falling apart before our eyes is just plain stupid.

I’m tired of hearing the “leave our little village” alone arguments, you’re in the middle of the city, why not drag yourself out of the 19th century.
Flakehouse is donezo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNHOk52g...tagechef&hl=en

And related, the Inn by Mallard Cottage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM85bUlj...tagechef&hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM67V-RD...tagechef&hl=en

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:14 AM

burritos mexican grill

Anyone know anything about Burritos Mexican Grill on Topsal road ? It's by Pizza hut where Subway used to be

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 7:39 PM

Passed by the now infamous Burger King site on Ropewalk Lane today. It was a bee hive of activity. The power is on and painters can be seen working inside. There were also workers outside digging up part of the drive thru lane creating a trench from the building to a small fenced in area. My guess would be the propane line.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 12:35 AM

Good to hear. I think they are shooting for a world record for construction time spent on such a small building. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Passed by the now infamous Burger King site on Ropewalk Lane today. It was a bee hive of activity. The power is on and painters can be seen working inside. There were also workers outside digging up part of the drive thru lane creating a trench from the building to a small fenced in area. My guess would be the propane line.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:04 PM

Little Caesars is opening Spring next year up on Hebron Way by Canadian Tire

Little Caesars is opening Spring next year up on Hebron Way by Canadian Tire

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, that's White Rose Drive in the photo and not far from RONA across the street. Isnt this right in front of the former Golf Town store where they are building a new commercial building on the parking lot corner?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 6:59 PM

Could be ya, The photo was sent to me. So not 100% sure where it is

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that's White Rose Drive in the photo and not far from RONA across the street. Isnt this right in front of the former Golf Town store where they are building a new commercial building on the parking lot corner?
Yes. I saw this the other day and meant to post it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 1:05 PM

So nice to see many new choices opening up in the Food Industry , here in St.John's --- but I will say that I think this is a TERRIBLE location choice for a Pizza Franchise !!

There is a minimal residential housing market to draw from, and this section of road is basically for overflow of Stavanger drive, and for people trying to avoid the traffic issues of Stavanger. There is basically no reason for people to use this section of road otherwise.

They need to be in a high traffic flow area , where people are going to see them ( ie gas station ). Across the way in the new Ultramar would have been be a perfect spot. ( unfortunately they have a useless Mr. Sub franchise in there that does no business ! )

Wish them well, they have a very recognizable name, and I'm sure people will enjoy the product. But I compare this to getting front row seats at a ball game, only to find out, you have a huge post obstructing your view of the game !

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 1:37 PM

I think they will do fine there at that location. As for your minimal residential housing comment, have you been through the Clovelly area lately? It's constantly growing. Theres hundreds if not more homes there literally minutes from where the proposed "Little Caesars" location is. Plus there's the Airport Heights area not too far west of that too. Also, there is a third hotel being built at the Airport and they always have guests wanting to order pizza. I work at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport and Boston Pizza, Dominos and Peters Pizza are constantly delivery pizzas to the hotel. Also notable too is that area of White Rose Drive and Hebron Way have mixed inspdustrial/commercial so there's lots of office buildings there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
So nice to see many new choices opening up in the Food Industry , here in St.John's --- but I will say that I think this is a TERRIBLE location choice for a Pizza Franchise !!

There is a minimal residential housing market to draw from, and this section of road is basically for overflow of Stavanger drive, and for people trying to avoid the traffic issues of Stavanger. There is basically no reason for people to use this section of road otherwise.

They need to be in a high traffic flow area , where people are going to see them ( ie gas station ). Across the way in the new Ultramar would have been be a perfect spot. ( unfortunately they have a useless Mr. Sub franchise in there that does no business ! )

Wish them well, they have a very recognizable name, and I'm sure people will enjoy the product. But I compare this to getting front row seats at a ball game, only to find out, you have a huge post obstructing your view of the game !

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 3:52 PM

Quote:

There's thousands of houses just minutes away. I also use that road regularly and it's always busy. Dollarama is there and it's always blocked. There's also office space in that area now too, not just across the road but down by Starbucks. I'd say they'd also draw from people in the Torbay/Outer Cover/Flatrock area. There's two smaller pizza places in Torbay but this will be the closet franchise for them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2016, 5:15 PM

Like I said, I wish them the best of luck. It's just an opinion. And in my opinion, I think they could have found a better location. They are going to be in tough competition, with 2 already established pizza franchises in that general area ( Dominos and Greco ), They are going to rely on the Torbay area, as their primary target market, so I think they probably would be better suited to go further down into Torbay itself, where there is basically nothing, and they would have cleaned up !

I certainly don't wish them any ill fate, I hope they blow the doors off their location. I'm just a little skeptical . That said, I'm sure I'll try it myself if in the area for lunch.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I wish them the best of luck. It's just an opinion. And in my opinion, I think they could have found a better location. They are going to be in tough competition, with 2 already established pizza franchises in that general area ( Dominos and Greco ), They are going to rely on the Torbay area, as their primary target market, so I think they probably would be better suited to go further down into Torbay itself, where there is basically nothing, and they would have cleaned up !

I certainly don't wish them any ill fate, I hope they blow the doors off their location. I'm just a little skeptical . That said, I'm sure I'll try it myself if in the area for lunch.
I would think they'll do well. I'm looking forward to having Little Caesars again - used to eat it regularly when I lived on the mainland. Much better than Dominos, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's