HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:56 PM

I would like to take a minute and congratulate the Riders on being the first team eliminated from the CFL playoffs this season.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I would like to take a minute and congratulate the Riders on being the first team eliminated from the CFL playoffs this season.
..but were they in the east they would still be in the hunt for 1st.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
and congratulations to the Bombers for making the playoffs this year. First time since..........gee, I don't remember the last time the Bombers were in the playoffs?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
and congratulations to the Bombers for making the playoffs this year. First time since..........gee, I don't remember the last time the Bombers were in the playoffs?
2011? A Grey Cup, on the other hand...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:09 PM

So now that Durant's rights have been traded to Montreal, the big question is who becomes the starting quarterback for the Roughriders this season? Will it be one of Gale/Bridge/Waters/Kinne/Bennett, or is Chris Jones looking at signing someone else from down south? If we actually end up with a retread like Glenn, I would seriously start to question Jones' "plan" or lack thereof.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
So now that Durant's rights have been traded to Montreal, the big question is who becomes the starting quarterback for the Roughriders this season? Will it be one of Gale/Bridge/Waters/Kinne/Bennett, or is Chris Jones looking at signing someone else from down south? If we actually end up with a retread like Glenn, I would seriously start to question Jones' "plan" or lack thereof.
You can't just bring in a NFL retread or college star as your starter. Maybe one in 10 of those guys work out. I assume they are going after a CFL vet like Nichols, Burris or Franklin.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:41 PM

Franklin seems like a bit of a stretch considering he's still under contract with Edmonton for another year, and the Eskimos would likely demand higher compensation for him than they would from any other team, just to exact a measure of revenge for Jones poaching the Esks coaching staff. As for Burris, I feel if he wasn't playing for Ottawa, he'd likely choose to retire rather than be shipped to another team. So that might leave Nichols, provided that he doesn't get signed by the Bombers before the free agency deadline.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't bet on Nichols hitting free agency. Winnipeg media make a strong case that the deal is close, why else would they release Glenn before the free agent date?

Looks like the Riders could be opening the season with the person that started last season at 4th place on the Bomber depth chart...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
So do you think Glenn is not the answer?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 8:04 PM

Glenn has been doing surprisingly well this season, and I have to give full credit to him for exceeding expectations at his age. My concern at the time was that we'd simply go with a retread instead of actually developing a young quarterback. And here is where I have to give full credit to Chris Jones: not only did he install Glenn as a steady veteran quarterback, but Brandon Bridge has developed nicely as a promising young talent who could very well be the Roughriders' quarterback of the future.

As well, I have to give Jones credit for continuing to improve the Rider team, and leading them to at least 8 wins this year and into playoff territory. In my opinion, this kind of progress was what he needed to show in order to retain employment beyond this year, and I believe he's done just that. It took some time, but a definite upward trend can now be seen.

So yes, despite the Riders' blowing a 12-point lead to the RedBlacks this past weekend, I still have to eat my words and congratulate both Glenn and Jones on their performances this season. I would just say that Glenn's age will start to show at some point, and so we should be turning to Bridge as our QB sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:08 PM

Without a career ending injury QBs tend to have a long life in the CFL. Loong at Cavillo, Ray and Glenn.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:36 PM

I think Glen's age IS starting to show....he has been fantastic for the Riders in the first 8 games...early losses were not his fault as he was playing well. However, 3/4 of the way into the season, I think the grind of the game and practice and hits he has taken ARE affecting his productivity. Again...most recent loss not on his back, but he has not been the same quarterback the last 3 games. We need a qb that is mobile in the pocket and a strong arm. Oh....and some kind of running game would be nice!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 9:38 PM

BTW....from a construction perspective...had the opportunity to travel to Regina for the Calgary game...stadium is outstanding! Was even better then I had anticipated. As well, tailgate park is set up really well too.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 4:41 PM

Big win for the Riders will they be the first western crossover to make it to the Grey Cup?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Big win for the Riders will they be the first western crossover to make it to the Grey Cup?
Absolutely!!! Predict Riders vs. Eskimos....with Riders upsetting to win cup!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Absolutely!!! Predict Riders vs. Eskimos....with Riders upsetting to win cup!
Agree with the Riders - Eskimos prediction. And really hoping for the 2nd part to come true. Both teams have been playing well coming into the playoffs and carried that momentum through the semi-finals.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Agree with the Riders - Eskimos prediction. And really hoping for the 2nd part to come true. Both teams have been playing well coming into the playoffs and carried that momentum through the semi-finals.
Either Rider-Smos or Riders-Stamps would be an epic match-up. So much more hype than if the Argos are in.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:23 PM

Will Sask be the home town team when they go to the grey cup in Ottawa, they will have been in the east long enough.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 9:33 PM

Resurrected as requested.

The Riders offence is still terrible. The Riders are 7th in Offensive Points and last in Offensive TDs. We also have the most 2 & Outs of any team in the league.

However, we are the league leaders in Points off Turnovers and in other defensive categories.

I'll gladly take the 7-4 record (especially after the very shaky start to the season), but we can't keep counting on our defence to bail us out. Our offence needs to score TDs.

Maybe not quite as grumpy as Riderfans.com, but it's a start...

Full stats:
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...to-Week-13.pdf

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Resurrected as requested.
Sorry guys

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan