HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 7:59 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Definitely not true. Multiple lines of the Shanghai metro and Beijing metro would be considered light rail or commuter rail in non-Chinese contexts.

"Metro" in the Chinese sense means "urban rail transit", not "heavy rail metro". So it isn't reasonable to compare Chinese metros with other global metro systems; the only way to compare is rail-to-rail. In this sense, Tokyo, by a longshot, is the global "metro" king.

You can't just take a name and assume the same definition globally. In Germany there is no named distinction between heavy and light rail; it's all U-Bahn. But everyone knows the only heavy rail U-Bahns are in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Nuremberg, and Frankfurt (though Frankfurt is technically a mix, like in China).

This has nothing to do with distinctions between light and heavy rail. You can have a 100% subway system with 100% platform screens and high platforms and it's still 100% light rail. You can have a 100% surface system with no platform screens and low platforms and its still 100% heavy rail.

If you're going to count the entire Shanghai system as a heavy rail metro, then Tokyo's heavy rail metro would encompass thousands of route miles and would probably have higher ridership than the next four or five cities combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Which ones? Why?

The only difference between all the lines of the Shanghai Metro are train lengths (most lines 6 cars, with other lines being slightly shorter or longer) and widths (Lines 5, 6, and 8 are narrower than the rest).

Line 16 is probably the closest thing Shanghai has to a commuter rail line, but it's still more metro like in terms of the rolling stock and number of stations.
I think it's just a case of getting the terms mixed up. What I think Chem is referring to is the distinction between non-metro and metro. A metro system can use rolling stock typical to LRT if it has all the other characteristics of a metro system including being an electrified rail service with metro-like frequency (normally headways of no more than 10 minutes throughout the day) and full grade separation. If a service has lighter rolling stock such as Vancouver Skytrain it's simply referred to as "light metro" but is a metro system nonetheless.

At one time, the term light rail and heavy rail were important distinctions because it determined capacity. You needed long, heavy trains to carry large volumes of people. But now with automation, some light metro systems can carry as many people with short "light" trains as some legacy systems that use more traditional "heavy" trains by running super short headways. So the real distinction is between metro and non-metro, and the characteristics he described do definitely describe that distinction.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 4:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
There are bus lines, not BRT, in Canada that carry more people that many light rail lines in the States, so capacity isn't an argument that works in most of these cases either.
same in the states regarding some busier bus lines vs lrt lines.

i generally disagree with the light rail fad as its being applied to the core downtown districts. that is very short sighted given the world's urbanizing trends. its fine in other areas of cities or when shoved underground. seattle seems to be developing it correctly, but that is more as a result of being forced to go underground due to the quirk of its landscape and also that the bus tunnel is already there.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 8:43 PM

Los Angeles is currently extending one of its subway lines, with proposals for 1 or 2 lines more lines floating around In terms of "complete grade separation underground or elevated tracks"

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 9:48 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There are times when converting a busy bus route into streetcars or LRT could be an extremely worthwhile improvement even if it isn't necessary for the sake of capacity. There would be greater efficiency from having fewer drivers needed to operate fewer longer vehicles meaning less operation costs, greater energy efficiency from riding on rails and from electrification, less bunching, less interference with traffic (from having fewer individual buses stopping, starting, and merging in/out of traffic) and more reliability (since rail vehicles are more durable and longer lasting). There would also be less noise and pollution, greater passenger comfort, etc. The quality of transit service is more than just capacity and speed. It's also comfort, efficiency, societal impact.

But even if we're talking about capacity, just because you can do something with a vehicle that's not suitable for that function, doesn't mean you should. You certainly can make do with buses for fairly high capacity scenarios, but if there is enough ridership to justify improvements, it's wrong to refuse just because you can't afford a metro system.
Where you see greater efficiency, I see poorer frequency and therefore service to riders. Of course there gets a point where buses that are too frequent cause problems like bunching that you mention, but when that level of frequency is reached, a true rapid transit line can usually be justified.

As far as reliability goes, it goes both ways. Buses can be more reliable than rail lines because they can go around accidents for example, while rail lines can be stuck with nothing they can do.

The other benefits you list are real, but when it comes to the cost difference involved, I just don't think they're worth it. And even if you did decide that it was, a light rail line would never be replaced by a metro after it was built, because you'd just be building the same line twice. So when a metro is warranted, at that point you will already have an inferior light rail system, which may function fine in terms of capacity and stuff like that, but speed is compromised, which is ultimately the most important factor in growing ridership. So even if capital costs were recovered through operating expenses efficiency and stuff like that, what you're really doing is settling for a lesser system just so you can have it sooner.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 10:26 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Where you see greater efficiency, I see poorer frequency and therefore service to riders. Of course there gets a point where buses that are too frequent cause problems like bunching that you mention, but when that level of frequency is reached, a true rapid transit line can usually be justified.
But whether or not it's justified depends on the cost, not just on the ridership. There are situation in which the cost may be fairly low and therefore a metro line is justified, and other cases where it isn't. It's next to impossible to say a project is or isn't justified based solely on the ridership.

Besides, as long as the frequency is "show up and go" such as every 10 minutes or better, then I just don't consider it an issue of convenience.

Quote:
As far as reliability goes, it goes both ways. Buses can be more reliable than rail lines because they can go around accidents for example, while rail lines can be stuck with nothing they can do.
But that comes from whether or not the service has a dedicated ROW, and the ability to have a dedicated ROW is another advantage for streetcars and LRT since you need less space for a rail track than a road lane since the track is a guidance system.

Quote:
The other benefits you list are real, but when it comes to the cost difference involved, I just don't think they're worth it. And even if you did decide that it was, a light rail line would never be replaced by a metro after it was built, because you'd just be building the same line twice. So when a metro is warranted, at that point you will already have an inferior light rail system, which may function fine in terms of capacity and stuff like that, but speed is compromised, which is ultimately the most important factor in growing ridership. So even if capital costs were recovered through operating expenses efficiency and stuff like that, what you're really doing is settling for a lesser system just so you can have it sooner.
But the cost difference involved can be even bigger between LRT and metro than between buses and LRT. Besides, you don't need to "build the same line twice" as often an LRT line can be upgraded to higher capacity service standards over time such as by grade separation. That's where the term "premetro" comes from in Europe. You wouldn't be building a totally separate line unless the first one was poorly planned.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 5:53 AM
Martian

Can someone summarize the main reasons why the cost is exobritant in the US compared to other countries? The things that come to my mind are safety regulations and unions.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 4:20 PM

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:16 PM

Honolulu is currently building a full Metro. A Metro system is not defined by the technology of even by capacity but rather grade separation and electrification. This is why Manila's LRT is considered Metro and Edmonton's isn't despite Edmonton having a downtown tunnel and Monorails are also considered full Metros.

Anyway, the point is well taken and I don't think the US will see any new Metro lines in decades if ever. The US cities that need them {ie NYC, SF, Phil, Bos,, Wash} already have them in their downtown cores and the suburbs simply cannot support the ridership needed to justify their expenses.

I disagree with the premise that US system are vastly more expensive than any others. You can't compare China or other third world countries with the US. In China, they can kick out the residents who are along the line, have cheap labour to build the lines, and have few environmental regulations. I wouldn't say the US is any more expensive in terms of tunneled systems than other countries such as Canada.

One of the problems that the US {and Canada} have is our antiquated rail laws which make using current rail corridors less accessible.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:21 PM

I agree with the previous comments about the US building too many LRT systems lately.

So many of these new lines have absolutely pathetic ridership and the reason for their construction usually had more to do with vanity than transportation. This "everyone else has LRT so we need one too" is a childish proposition and have far more to do with politicians wanting to gain political points at ribbon cutting ceremonies than the needs of the travelling public.

True gold or silver standard BRT systems would have been far more effective and for the money spent could have created to connectivity thru massive BRT systems rather than shorter LRT's that go from downtown to the meandering suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
Can someone summarize the main reasons why the cost is exobritant in the US compared to other countries? The things that come to my mind are safety regulations and unions.
http://www.bloombergview.com/article...-transit-costs

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 8:37 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
In a nutshell, our politicians have to interfere, and we have a conflict of interest between them and the architectural design firms.

What I gather from that is maybe costs could be kept to a minimum if the transit agencies would do more of the planning and constructing. I always wondered why they were never behind any of the infrastructure projects.

That's if I'm reading that correctly...

Granted, I'd like to see them build a heavy rail line between Pittsburgh's downtown and Oakland. I'd rather see that versus their pursuit of BRT down 5th Avenue. For the amount of demand between the two neighborhoods, a BRT cannot sufficiently serve that corridor, unless you want to have BRT lane clogged with buses all the time. Downtown and Oakland are both booming; the T has more ridership than ever, especially after its recent expansion to the North Side. If heavy rail isn't considered, then perhaps light rail could be constructed beneath 5th Avenue. I just know that this corridor will require more capacity than what BRT would provide. A little while back, someone wrote an article about the cost of construction for such infrastructure. They argued in favor of building it anyway even if it costs $1-2 billion.

I don't believe in spending an exorbitant amount of money on infrastructure, but I also don't believe in settling because it costs less.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
Cincy's entire regional bus system carries like 60k weekday riders. Makes no sense to build a subway system.

Subway lines are usually intended for corridors that generate hundreds of thousands of daily trips. This is, in part, why we have so few in the U.S. There are very few corridors that "need" this level of service.

Outside of NYC, how many existing U.S. subway routes really generate super heavy traffic? Chicago's Red Line, with 250k weekday trips, Boston's Red Line with 270k weekday trips, Washington's Red Line with 280k weekday trips; are there any others with that sort of ridership? Now why would you spend megabillions to build a real subway in Cincy or Orlando or Kansas City?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Cincy's entire regional bus system carries like 60k weekday riders. Makes no sense to build a subway system.

Subway lines are usually intended for corridors that generate hundreds of thousands of daily trips. This is, in part, why we have so few in the U.S. There are very few corridors that "need" this level of service.

Outside of NYC, how many existing U.S. subway routes really generate super heavy traffic? Chicago's Red Line, with 250k weekday trips, Boston's Red Line with 270k weekday trips, Washington's Red Line with 280k weekday trips; are there any others with that sort of ridership? Now why would you spend megabillions to build a real subway in Cincy or Orlando or Kansas City?
it's certainly a chicken/egg problem. development and transportation need to be considered together, and unfortunately outside of a few places/projects they're not.

Looking only at existing density, Bart's Richmond and Pittsburg/BayPoint lines (which can be considered one through-routed line with a split at the northern suburban end) have ridership together in the 200,000 range, although it's hard to break out exactly. the bus lines that run along the east-west streets in San Francisco between California and Geary have ridership of about 100,000 per day combined, and should really be served by grade separated heavy rail. Outside of New York or Chicago, I think such a line (connected to the existing transbay tube, or a new one - hah) would probably be highest ridership subway project in the country.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2016, 10:52 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Simple answer, nope.

I don't see any other US city needing a metro system, but I do see existing cities expanding theirs. Chicago would have much higher ridership if it concentrated its jobs/workforce to just downtown - which is already and has long been the 2nd largest cbd. But since a very significant amount of employment desires to not be downtown but in the suburbs and city fringes, it helps to explain Chicago's relative lower use of metro than one might expect. However, when the city gets around to expansion like the planned circle route and perhaps some key extensions of CTA L lines into the suburbs; then we should begin to see what we'd expect because then most of the employment corridors would be covered.

I see more of ^ this for existing metro cities and NO MORE new metro systems but more light rail and commuter rail for the rest of the US cities.

---- Notes on Seattle (the often 'me too' stepchild)

And forget this talk about Seattle building a subway, they aint now and they wont. Seattle is building a Light Rail system, plain and simple. It will handle light rail loads and will use light rail vehicles using light rail technology at light rail frequencies. Sure significant portions of the new routes will be tunnel, but this was done for geography and not because of metro (usually meaning density - with Capital Hill an arguable exception); those SEA routes will never compare to two flavors of metro subway: a) the high-frequency automated metros with shorter trainsets (here's to you Vancouver, Honolulu - upcoming, Manila/Bangkok) or b) the low-frequency high-capacity traditional heavy metros with longer trainsets (NYC/Chicago/DC, SF. London, Tokyo/Osaka, Toronto, Beijing/Shanghai/Chongqing/etc). Note all of those systems use 3rd rail and/or overhead power (newer systems), all using heavy or medium capacity vehicles, all fully grade-separated (underground or elevated, little to no at grade excepting some US systems along freeways), long high platforms, all having capacity well NORTH of 30,000 pphpd. LRT uses overhead power or Diesel exclusively (any 3rd rail LRT?), typically at grade with overhead and underground SECTIONS, short low platforms, using light vehicles typically only a max of 4 car trainsets providing well LESS than 30,000 pphpd

Seattle - Call it what it is, it's a light-rail system; although I do agree that the stations in downtown SEA definitely have characteristics of metro, since it was originally invisioned to be a subway route *but was axed in favor of bus RT and LRT. If anything, SEA's new Sound Transit Link routes could be classified as 'Commuter Light Rail' since they will act as CR for outlying communities ferrying them in using LRT. Denver did the same and is very successful (a better model IMO than the often touted Portland MAX).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:02 AM

Another thing as an article stated above is the cost. The American system of infrastructure construction isn't the same when FDR was president during the recession or when Eisonhower pioneered the Interstate system.

Now every major transportation project in this country is done by private construction firms who jack up the price neary 100% by adding unnecessary costs. If the job was given back to the government, cost would be lower, a lot of other governments work this way and systems cost less and get more for their money.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 7:11 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
Another thing as an article stated above is the cost. The American system of infrastructure construction isn't the same when FDR was president during the recession or when Eisonhower pioneered the Interstate system.
FDR was using the CCC, Civilian Conservation Corps, which was ran under Army control. Camp commanders had disciplinary powers and corpsmen were required to address superiors as “sir.” It was a public works project intended to promote environmental conservation and to build good citizens through vigorous, disciplined outdoor labor. By 1942, with World War II and the draft in operation, need for work relief declined and Congress voted to close the program.

Eisenhower's highways were built as they are today, by State Highway Departments contracting the work out to private enterprise, usually to the cheapest bidder. Believe it or not, just about all infrastructure, military, and other government agency projects are built by the cheapest bidder.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i generally disagree with the light rail fad as its being applied to the core downtown districts. that is very short sighted given the world's urbanizing trends. its fine in other areas of cities or when shoved underground. seattle seems to be developing it correctly, but that is more as a result of being forced to go underground due to the quirk of its landscape and also that the bus tunnel is already there.

As I stated earlier, LRT is the popular planning tool right now.

Lets take Seattle. If Seattle was building rapid transit in the 1960's-1970's, their current LRT line would have been a heavy rail type service, like MARTA or METRO in Washington DC.

If Atlanta waited and was building rapid transit today, their system would be LRT, and would probably have about half the ridership it currently has.

And this brings us to the real issue. It does not matter if you use a heavy rail train or a light rail train for your system. What matters is if the system is grade separated or only operates in the middle of the road, or mixes with traffic, or has to wait at traffic signals, etc.

And the systems that are fully grade separated, regardless of technology, have higher ridership, because the service can offer speed and travel times comparable to the car.

There is an article in Transport Politic about how the author feels we are going to be kicking ourselves in 20 years for building so much LRT that is not grade separated. Because in the long run, these systems do not offer competitive service to the auto, and ridership will languish because of this.

Last edited by miketoronto; Jan 2, 2016 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
And this brings us to the real issue. It does not matter if you use a heavy rail train or a light rail train for your system. What matters is if the system is grade separated or only operates in the middle of the road, or mixes with traffic, or has to wait at traffic signals, etc.

And the systems that are fully grade separated, regardless of technology, have higher ridership, because the service can offer speed and travel times comparable to the car.

There is an article in Transport Politic, about how the author feels we are going to be kicking ourselves in 20 years for building so much LRT that is not grade separated. Because in the long run, these systems do not offer competitive service to the auto, and ridership will languish because of this.
I agree with most of what you stated, but not entirely. Calgary light rail transit attracts many more riders than American cities, and its not entirely grade separated.

I'm very familiar with DART and DCTA, and I suggest there are ways to be running light rail trains at grade without speed penalties.

Such as running in an existing rail corridor, or running in a new corridor outside of streets, except crossing the streets at barricaded crossings. As most commuter rail operators do, in their own corridors.

It's only where they enter the streets and run in shared or dedicated lanes in the streets when they see speed penalties - because they don't have barricades protecting them and therefore use traffic signals for protection, where they share the streets with other traffic.

At barricaded crossings, the barricades provide traffic priority all the time - at signalized intersections within the street environment the traffic priority is usually shared with other traffic.

When traveling in their own corridors (not dedicated lanes), trains can run at independent speeds, they aren't limited to the posted speeds of other street traffic.

I therefore disagree that at grade light rail has to be always slower than grade separated light rail.

Now, like DART in downtown Dallas, even running in its own corridor, DART chose to use signalize lights vs barricades. That was a choice they made to go slower, and allow other traffic to move much as it does in the rest of downtown. They didn't want to make a traffic jam by taking priority inclusively. Even their new proposed D2 line will have at grade sections. But that's their choice they made along with their community.

The Green Line northwest of downtown Dallas is basically grade separated from other traffic everywhere except in Farmers Branch, where it runs at grade. Why did DART chose to run it at grade through Farmers Branch? Because that's what Farmers Branch wanted. DART could have ran the Green Line at grade almost the entire distance, without penalties to time using barricaded crossings, because it was using an existing rail corridor. The reason why it was elevated, grade separated in most of Dallas and Carrollton was to reduce traffic impacts to other traffic.

Therefore I also disagree that grade separated rail always increases train speeds.

But I will agree there are locations in any rail line where grade separations is appropriate to increase train speeds and increases the effective speeds of other traffic as well.

Last edited by electricron; Jan 2, 2016 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 PM
BANNED

We REALLY need to automate the subways and buses.
The drivers range from good to euthanize.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
And polis doling out contracts to those who bribe them/are related to them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation