HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:01 PM

^The state is currently looking into it ( http://volusiaconnectorstudy.com/about_study/ ). Considering Sunrail's pitiful ridership and the amount of wetlands between DeLand and Daytona, I suspect the ridership estimates will be low.

Luckily, there may be another option. The Florida East Coast (FEC) Railway's mainline between Miami and Jacksonville goes through downtown Daytona, roughly 1 or 2 miles west of the ocean. In the event that AAF is extended to Jax, them adding a stop in Daytona accomplishes the same thing.

The largest differences would be the cost being funded with private dollars and the trip between Orlando and Daytona being much faster.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:19 PM

The AAF extension surely makes sense, but SunRail as a regional / commuter provider in the corridor could capture trips that AAF would rather ignore, like commuters and tourists originating from points between Orlando and DAB. Plus, SunRail will go into Downtown Orlando, not to the airport, and the route is more direct than the more southerly AAF route. I think both ought to be built. The more rail options in the region the better!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:55 AM

I agree with more transit options, but we can't build rail just to build rail. If we're going to spend money on transit, it should be on routes and lines that will attract higher ridership and in areas where density can be significantly increased. Building brand a new railroad track (for commuter rail) in the middle of I-4 and in a swamp, across rural Volusia County deserves a lot of scrutiny. Mess up with a project like that, and it could set the region back decades.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
^The state is currently looking into it ( http://volusiaconnectorstudy.com/about_study/ ). Considering Sunrail's pitiful ridership and the amount of wetlands between DeLand and Daytona, I suspect the ridership estimates will be low.

Luckily, there may be another option. The Florida East Coast (FEC) Railway's mainline between Miami and Jacksonville goes through downtown Daytona, roughly 1 or 2 miles west of the ocean. In the event that AAF is extended to Jax, them adding a stop in Daytona accomplishes the same thing.

The largest differences would be the cost being funded with private dollars and the trip between Orlando and Daytona being much faster.
Excuse me, is the Sunrail will go to Daytona Beach? Why they don't extend to St. Johns County? Will they consider it?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:28 AM

guys this is the SunRail, only adding small spur to airport

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Excuse me, is the Sunrail will go to Daytona Beach? Why they don't extend to St. Johns County? Will they consider it?
No need to extend Orlando's commuter rail system to a suburban Jacksonville county. At that point, you should be looking at intercity rail. Also, right now, there's not enough ridership to justify extending it to DeLand and I've heard the ridership numbers to extend to Daytona are really low.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:15 PM

anybody got more info about the airport sunrail station?
also news about convention center train to airport.
december 9th (light rail or maglev)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...209-story.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation