HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:08 PM

Big blue logo signs on urban freeways in your state?

For those who don't know what I am talking about, logo signs are the big blue signs containing the logos of food, gas, lodging, camping, attraction, and 24-hour pharmacies businesses prior to an interchange and at the off-ramps of an interchange.

Historically, logo signs were only permitted in rural areas, however, in 2000 provisions for allowing these signs in urban areas were added to the 2000 edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Nevertheless, some states continue to restrict their logo sign programs only to rural areas. As far as I know, the following states have adopted the provisions for allowing logo signs in urban areas:
  • Arizona (currently being installed in the Phoenix area, coming soon to the Tucson area)
  • Colorado (currently being installed in the Denver area, coming soon to the Colorado Springs area)
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • Washington (not in Seattle itself, but in all of the suburbs)
  • Wisconsin
I live in Arizona and the signs started to go up in late 2013 and continues to be expanded on more freeways. Phoenix should be complete by the end of 2016 except on Loop 303 which is planned for 2018.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

do you mean the highway signs that have been around for a long time? can you post some pictures of them?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
do you mean the highway signs that have been around for a long time? can you post some pictures of them?
Here is a fictitious example I made, based on ADOT's current standard design for urban installations:

Until the 2000 MUTCD these signs were restricted on a national scale to rural areas, but even after the 2000 MUTCD some states continue to restrict them to rural areas.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

I loath those things. I've been meaning to write IDOT for years telling them such and how much of a waste of money they are, not to mention tacky and indicative of American eating culture problems. A better solution should be a Yes/No info sign, i.e. Gas: Yes Food: Yes Lodging: No, not a half dozen giant blue signs costing $5000 a pop plus labor plus upkeep and updating everytime an establishment closes or new one opens. A ridiculous use of resources not seen AFAIK on any other int'l highway system. Plus taxpayers shouldn't be even remotely attached with providing for essentially free promotional advertising for any fuel, food or lodging establishment (with a great deal of personal disdain for corporate fast food over encouraging motorists to continue into town and discover real food). This along with grass mowing the ROW's. Hello, prairie grass?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Apr 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I loath those things. I've been meaning to write IDOT for years telling them such and how much of a waste of money they are, not to mention tacky and indicative of American eating culture problems. A better solution should be a Yes/No info sign, i.e. Gas: Yes Food: Yes Lodging: No, not a half dozen giant blue signs costing $5000 a pop plus labor plus upkeep and updating everytime an establishment closes or new one opens. A ridiculous use of resources not seen AFAIK on any other int'l highway system. Plus taxpayers shouldn't be even remotely attached with providing for essentially free promotional advertising for any fuel, food or lodging establishment (with a great deal of personal disdain for corporate fast food over encouraging motorists to continue into town and discover real food). This along with grass mowing the ROW's. Hello, prairie grass?
Actually, very little (if any) taxpayer money goes towards these signs. Much of the costs for these signs are paid for the businesses themselves, who pay fees to get their spot on one of these signs. Here in Arizona the fees for the urban areas are higher than rural areas. At some urban exits where the likely demand exceeds the available space, a competitive bidding process is used to determine which businesses get their spot on a sign.

Also, while in most states the logo sign programs are run by an outside vendor who receives a varying amount of the revenue from their programs, here in Arizona the program is run by the state themselves, and the state gets 100% of the revenue.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 4:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well I learn something new everyday. I still hate them though because I think theyre ugly and help promote a lazy, lowest common denominator way of thinking/decision making, usually ones that make you fat.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:23 PM

Those signs are invaluable for roadtrips. Knowing what big chains are on an offramp is great for a roadtrip lunch after driving for 8 hours. Its a frustrating thing not having them in urban areas I find, as that is where the most services are located.

Often I find myself wanting to stop in Buffalo after hopping the border for gas and food, and there are no signs in Buffalo for it, and when you leave the city you are on I-90 which has few exits and is tolled anyway..

As for the yes-no thing, people need to know their options. If you want something to grab and go but there is only a sitdown diner, you don't want to get off the highway to check. Same with hotels. If you want something cheap for a short overnight snooze, and all there is on the exit is a high end hotel, you would want to know so that you can go a bit further to find a cheaper place.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh ok, that's what i thought you meant, but wasn't sure.

i dk, i find them helpful on rural stretches where there is no internet service and you can't see anything you might need to stop for. especially given they also have gas stations on them.

i would agree they ugly up non-rural areas though as they seem unnecessary there because you can see things and because you have good internet service to look stuff up.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

i would agree they ugly up non-rural areas though as they seem unnecessary there because you can see things and because you have good internet service to look stuff up.
Since when should you be searching the web on a smartphone while driving at highway speeds? Everyone should know that is dangerous and illegal in some states. And no, you cannot pull over either except in emergencies. Logo signs can actually reduce that temptation, improving highway safety. I have seen several people give me that fallacious argument.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Since when should you be searching the web on a smartphone while driving at highway speeds? Everyone should know that is dangerous and illegal in some states. And no, you cannot pull over either except in emergencies. Logo signs can actually reduce that temptation, improving highway safety. I have seen several people give me that fallacious argument.
LOL, I was coming to say the same thing. At least in my state using a smartphone for anything (not just texting) is illegal while driving unless it's in a hands free setup. These signs are very useful and if people are upset about the number of chain restaurants on them then fine, but it's not like tearing the signs down will suddenly mean all the McDonalds are replaced by healthier restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:13 PM

One thing that I am a bit concerned with the logo sign program here in Arizona is that once installation begins in the Tucson area, will there be protests by the Tucson area NIMBYs? Many Tucson residents are opposed to any kind of infrastructure improvements and want to be the anti-Phoenix. They are opposed to building new freeways, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are opposed to new logo signs on their existing freeways as well.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 10:14 PM

Looks like we can add Tennessee to the list of states that allow logo signs in urban areas. However, there is a catch: cities have to opt-in to get logo signs installed. As of last month, so far only Knoxville has opted in.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:30 PM

In California we only have these when you're going through the Central Valley I think on the 99 and 5. I'm almost certain they aren't on the 101 going up the coast and I think there are only a few when traveling through the desert. There are none in urban or suburban areas or in rural gaps that are small like in between orange county and San Diego. I guess we're lucky here.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 7:25 PM

Why are all those restaurants on that sign color coordinated?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 9:54 PM
BANNED

I view them as a relic of the past.

CA still has old call boxes and a few years ago decided to keep them despite the declining use of them due to high ownership of cell phones.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Since when should you be searching the web on a smartphone while driving at highway speeds?
Voice activated assistance like Siri/Google can automatically load up GPS directions without the use of hands. It's come in handy for me while on road trips.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I view them as a relic of the past.

CA still has old call boxes and a few years ago decided to keep them despite the declining use of them due to high ownership of cell phones.
So, if they were really unnecessary due to smartphones, why would businesses even bother to be on them? Obviously the many businesses who choose to be on them disagree, and I am pretty sure that ADOT here in Arizona factored that in when launching the urban logo sign program. Participation in Arizona remains strong and shows no signs of decline.

As for call boxes, here in Arizona they are mostly retained on rural highways with poor cell phone coverage. US 93 between Wickenburg and I-40 is one such highway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation