HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
If I were a billionaire I would buy up the best old theaters in LA, return them to their former glory, and turn them into all into live event venues. It would be amazing to have a true theater district in LA. I bet the economics of that aren't great, so it probably takes people doing it for the love of the theaters rather investors looking for returns.
LA's strength is in its filming/media, not live. A more realistic repurpose would be for microbreweries, artisan restaurants, and cafes.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 5:31 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
If I were a billionaire I would buy up the best old theaters in LA, return them to their former glory, and turn them into all into live event venues. It would be amazing to have a true theater district in LA. I bet the economics of that aren't great, so it probably takes people doing it for the love of the theaters rather investors looking for returns.
if i was a billionaire i would buy up the old theaters, restore them to their former glory, and then make them play old movies, because if i'm a billionaire i'm not doing this for the return in profit, i'm doing this because i want to preserve historic resources, so why the hell shouldn't they play the movies they were built to exhibit?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 6:13 AM

District NoHo gets the go-ahead from L.A. City Planning Commission

16 acres of housing, offices, retail, and open space next to North Hollywood Station

Steven Sharp
Urbanize LA
September 29, 2023

A proposed Metro joint development which could bring 2.2 million square feet of housing and commercial uses to the land surrounding North Hollywood Station has cleared a key milestone, receiving the approval of the Los Angeles City Planning Commission.

The District NoHo development, planned by Trammell Crow Company and its affiliate High Street Residential, would rise on 16 acres of Metro-owned land near the intersection of Lankershim and Chandler Boulevards, most of which is now vacant or serves as a park-and-ride lot. The project, which would be subdivided into nine different blocks, would involve the new construction of up to:
  • 1,216 market-rate housing units;
  • 311 affordable residential units;
  • 105,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space;
  • up to 580,000 square feet of office space (including 87,000 square feet of parking which could be converted to offices in the future); and
  • 3,313 parking spaces - with 750 reserved for Metro bus and rail passengers.

Additionally, plans call for approximately two acres of publicly accessible open space (in the form of three different plazas), a new entrance to the B Line subway on the west side of Lankershim, improvements to the G Line busway terminus, and new internal streets and walkways to break up the large development site.

Gensler, HKS, KFA Architecture, and Relm headline the design team for the project, which has recently undergone changes, including relocating underground parking into above grade structures. Those changes have also reduced the overall height profile for the project. Previously conceived with up to four high-rise buildings, that total has been narrowed to three, with plans calling for a 20-story, 230-foot-tall residential tower with 420 dwelling units in Subarea 1, a 23-story, 258-tall building with 508 homes in Subarea 5, and a 21-story, 281-foot-tall office tower in Subarea 8.

While the figures approved by the Planning Commission represent maximums allowed under a specific plan, Trammell Crow intends to build a slightly smaller project than what is reflected in those numbers. In a recent staff report to the Metro Board of Directors, it was reported that District NoHo is now expected to have a maximum of 1,481 homes (less than the 1,527 allowed), approximately 60,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, and approximately 450,000 square feet of offices. Trammell Crow would also set aside an additional 55 apartments for rent by moderate-income households, or those earning up to 120 percent of the area median income level.

District NoHo, which would be developed in phases over a period of up to 15 years, would also be tied to a development agreement which would provide additional public benefits. Besides the moderate-income housing referenced above, that would include a new art gallery, funding for a two-way Class IV bike trail on the west side of Fair Avenue from Chandler Boulevard to District Way, public art, community events, and various historical plaques.

According to a Metro staff report found by @numble, Metro is considering the formation of an Enhanced Infrastructure Financing District for District NoHo, which would cover the cost of the planned affordable housing as well as upgrades to the Metro station. That presentation indicates that work on the initial components of the project could begin as early as 2025 or 2026, with a final phase on track for completion in 2031.

An applicant presentation to the Commission states that the project will create 10,000 jobs during the course of construction, and an additional 2,500 jobs through operations. Likewise, construction impacts are expected to generate $1 billion, with annual operations generating $1.1 billion afterward.

The project will later require the approval of the full City Council.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2023, 3:52 PM

Would be an incredible improvement compared to what's there now. Should be the template for every Metro station. Start today!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 5:27 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Nice but this is another one of those proposed projects with proposed start dates that get talked about for decades and nothing ever happens other than we get a another article about it every 3 or 4 years.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2023, 7:58 PM

I was at the last home LAFC game of the season last night and noticed new construction happening at the corner of Hoover and MLK. Looked it up and it will be a brand new 5 story parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:03 PM

6800 Sunset

42 floor, 520 foot tower proposed across the street from the Crossroads of the World project.

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...6d41aa/esubmit

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorboffin View Post

42 floor, 520 foot tower proposed across the street from the crossroads of the world project.

whoa!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:22 PM
Ascension

Build it now. All of it at once.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:34 PM

I like how they have the future Philip Lawrence project in the corner of the rendering.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:35 PM

Once one of those big towers goes through it will set off a massive change in Hollywood. It just takes one to start it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post

42 floor, 520 foot tower proposed across the street from the Crossroads of the World project.

Better images of the massing plus I added it to my map (ignore the CMNTY Culture Campus being marked white for UC, it should be red for proposed). I am shocked by how much it dwarfs the Crossroads project. Hopefully all of them can get built, and soon.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 1:14 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh wow. This is amazing! I've been wondering what might go up on that corner, which has been fenced off for years on a prime intersection. Hope this and the building that's kitty corner - get built!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 1:50 AM

Hart House, new burger spot, was just built at 6800 Sunset a few months ago. It seems so weird to build a new restaurant just to demolish it so soon or maybe this development will be built far out into the future. I’ve always thought building a drive-thru restaurant at this location was such terrible land usage and pretty bad from an urban planning perspective.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskMrNoah View Post
Hart House, new burger spot, was just built at 6800 Sunset a few months ago. It seems so weird to build a new restaurant just to demolish it so soon or maybe this development will be built far out into the future. I’ve always thought building a drive-thru restaurant at this location was such terrible land usage and pretty bad from an urban planning perspective.
Yeah, something feels off about that. But maybe Hart House was willing to be there until they got approvals to show proof of concept/advertising for 5 years. And then perhaps they'll be incorporated into the new building.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 7:20 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

It's high time that Hollywood the place actually become a "glamorous" urban neighborhood with interesting architecture, good food/drink/entertainment/nightlife/hotel options, a blend of chain and local shops, and public space. I'd rather it be more like Shibuya than Times Square. Does Hollywood even have a business improvement district (BID) like Downtown?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskMrNoah View Post
I saw that new Hart House yesterday. I would rather see the highrise proposed instead of another fast food joint, but who knows.
It's of course right across the street from the Chick-fil-A with a drive thru, and apparently Raising Canes is opening (with a drive thru) at the abandoned Rite Aid building that is surrounded by tents.
All these suburban-style, drive thru restaurants (don't forget the tesla diner) are popping up alongside high density buildings in Hollywood. Seems very L.A.

On a side note. I hope there are plans to tear down that empty discount shoe store across the street from the drive thru In and Out. That spot needs a high rise like the one shown above.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's high time that Hollywood the place actually become a "glamorous" urban neighborhood with interesting architecture, good food/drink/entertainment/nightlife/hotel options, a blend of chain and local shops, and public space. I'd rather it be more like Shibuya than Times Square. Does Hollywood even have a business improvement district (BID) like Downtown?
Yeah they do the Hollywood Partnership - https://hollywoodpartnership.com/about

The Hollywood Partnership is a non-profit organization that manages the public realm within the Hollywood Entertainment District (HED), which is a Property Based Business Improvement District (PBID). Simply, this means that the organization is funded by property owners within the district to provide enhanced services to promote the cleanliness, safety, beautification, and economic vitality of our neighborhood.

Our official mission is to enhance the appeal, vitality, and well-being of the Hollywood Community from the ground up.

Our vision is a Hollywood where experiences EXCEED expectations!

We have four main goals within our strategic plan:

Goal 1: Establish and maintain a consistently high standard of cleanliness, hospitality, and safety – we have three teams, some working around the clock, to accomplish this!
Goal 2: Enhance and beautify the public realm to create a positive and memorable Hollywood experience – we currently are working on projects like public lighting and art to enhance Hollywood.
Goal 3: Create meaningful opportunities to convene and connect with Hollywood’s diverse community – we create fun and interesting engagement events to allow those who live, work, and play in Hollywood to meet and connect with each other.
Goal 4: Become the local market expert to advance & advocate for Hollywood’s economic interests – our quarterly reports have a finger on the pulse of Hollywood’s vitality and well-being.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
Yeah, something feels off about that. But maybe Hart House was willing to be there until they got approvals to show proof of concept/advertising for 5 years. And then perhaps they'll be incorporated into the new building.
Or just a shady property owner attracting a tenant but not telling them they’re not renewing the lease.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 9:10 PM
DENNAB

I'm loving this one, good stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations