HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:18 PM
BANNED

That´s why this used to be the largest US-influenced city in the Americas...

Pictures taken from the American School in Rio website at www.eayearbooks.com

In the 40´s, 50´s and 60´s, thousands of americans lived in Rio.
Decades later, many american citizens still ive in the second largest city in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro.

Rio was a rich and developed city in the middle of South America, populated with portugueses, french, italian, spaniards and british descendants, who lived in the more coastal areas of the city, while the black community lived in more hidden areas.

In the past, while Latin America had poor infra-structure and services that didn´t match US standards, Rio was a paradise: an european based city, with vibrant cultural life, great architecture, fine weather, good schools and universities, a strong tourism industry, and a culture that was more easy for an american to get used to than in the other nearby countries. Besides, there was no World War in Rio, no political problems, no racial conflits, etc.

That´s why, in Latin America, Rio received more american immigrants than any other country.

The following pics show part of the legacy of this settlers in Rio, and how they influenced the city.

First, this was Rio in the past. The french influence can be easily noticed. France was admired by Rio´s elite. Also, Rio was home to many french settlers in the early XX century.

Praça Marechal Floriano and the Theatro Municipal at the beginning of Avenida Rio Branco in 1919. Harriet Chalmers Adams was the photographer

Mangue Canal and avenue flanked by quadruple rows of Royal Palms. Harriet Chalmers Adams was the photographer

Avenida Rio Branco named for Baron Rio Branco, a once great Brazilian diplomat. Harriet Chalmers Adams was the photographer

Ipanema in 1940

Corcovado and Rio de Janeiro as it was in 1954

Copacabana in the 50´s

1950's Rio street scene

Leme and Copacabana beaches look so inviting

A Doll Vendor on Ipanema Promenade in the late 1960's

Still at Ipanema Beach

Downtown in the 40´s.

Brazilian ladies in Downtown Rio, in the 40´s:

Now, in the 50´s.

Brazilian lady walking in Copacabana Beach Promenade:

Rich Rio residents playing golf. In the left, a poor brazilian holding the flag.
Thousands of poor brazilians from Northeast Brazil moved to Rio in the past to perform second hand jobs. That´s how, in part, started to form the nowadays so famous "favelas".

Soccer games

Modernist art

The city built between the mountains and the sea.

Carnival party in the 50´s

In the 60´s.

Young Rio residents

Carnival

The girls at Ipanema Beach.

And more people at the worldwide famous Ipanema Beach

That is how many americans and canadians came to Brazil.

Now, the north-american settlers.

With the COKE concession in the background
Marty Arambula, Jo Ann Campbell, Sue Ackley, Cathy Crandell
Patty Smith, Kit Macy, Mimi Warren
& Suzy Porto
lounge in the warm Rio sun

In December 1968 Will Grainger (EA 1969) took several of his EA pals for a ride in his father's company boat. This picture was taken of Rick Smith wake surfing.

Girls Just Want To Be Goofy
Marty Arambula, Sue Ackley, Mimi Warren, Cathy Crandell, Kit Macy, Patty Smith, Jo Ann Campbell, and Suzy Porto

Peggy, Patty & Mom Smith at Rick's 1969 Senior Class Graduation ceremony held at the the American Embassy residence

17 Year old Mary Sherrill at the Escola Americana in June 1969
“Mary was as beautiful as she was intelligent. Her laughter was attractive and captivating. I recall Mary’s friendliness, her joy of life and sense of humor. Teenagers are often selfish and self-centered, but, not Mary; rather she seemed very transparent and willing to give her time to her friends and to her school.” Stan Key remembers his classmate. After a brave struggle with cancer Mary died peacefully at her home in Atlanta on October 22, 2004.

Drew, Kathleen, Raymond & Brian Paren leaving Rio on Delta Lines' S.S. DEL SUD in January 1964. Disembarking in Houston we flew on to NYC just as Beatlemania was in it's first full thrill.

House on the corner of an unpaved Prudente de Morais & Maria Quiteria in 1928 Ipanema where Johan & Rudolf Domenie lived until 1936

The Interdenominational Church Camp near Petropolis in the mid '50's was where kids from EA and SPGS could mingle and have a good time

Last edited by Mary; Mar 31, 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 10:23 PM

neat thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 12:37 AM
Posh

Here's a couple more pics to make the experience complete.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 2:02 AM
Dérive-r

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 8:45 AM
BANNED

Extremely interesting, but in terms of worldliness and sophistication, I wonder how Rio compared to Buenas Aires in that era. I have read that prior to the 1950's (and Peronism), Argentina had one of the highest standards of living and per capita GDP's in the world. In 1950, for example, Argentina's per capita GDP was about $6500 at a time when Canada's was just over $9000 and Brazil's was under $2000. Also, as an opera fan, I've got several 50's era recordings made in Buenas Aires by international stars, but I don't recall any from Rio.

It sure does look nice, though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 1:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Extremely interesting, but in terms of worldliness and sophistication, I wonder how Rio compared to Buenas Aires in that era. I have read that prior to the 1950's (and Peronism), Argentina had one of the highest standards of living and per capita GDP's in the world. In 1950, for example, Argentina's per capita GDP was about $6500 at a time when Canada's was just over $9000 and Brazil's was under $2000. Also, as an opera fan, I've got several 50's era recordings made in Buenas Aires by international stars, but I don't recall any from Rio.

It sure does look nice, though.
You´re right.

Brazil was poor, but Rio was a different stuff. It was rich.

You talked about the whole country, Argentina and Brazil.

My post is about the city of Rio. Back then, it was a paradise.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2007, 8:35 PM
40º Celsius anyone??

There´s no way to describe how sad I feel when I look at these old Rio photos...so beautiful, so unreal and so far away from the dump that this city has become. Geography aside, there is nothing that resembles what it once was, this place is a free for all mess, nobody respects anything anymore. It´s every man for himself.

Good riddance Rio de Janeiro....I´m glad I´m moving very far away, you shall not be missed. Good luck to those who stay behind.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:50 AM

cool pics!

although, form the pictures, one would think there weren't any black or bi-racial people in Rio back then....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:58 AM
maverick

these old pictures have disarming charm

thanks Mary!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:27 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Hmmm... even with the American School and american business man in Rio, I have my doubts about the validity of the claim of largest US influenced city in the americas.

Was Rio more influenced about US than São Paulo and Buenos Aires or Mexico City? How much were they really influenced by US other than the usual influence from business and tourists that every major country capital receives?

You use the expression "north american settlers". I may be wrong about the word settlers, and some american may correct me here... but no american has settled Rio de Janeiro... to me, the word settler has the same meaning as colonizer, the first people to arrive at a place and build there. It doesnt apply to immigrants or businessman/politicians and their families, living in a ready big city.

Anyway, very cool pictures. Rio was gorgeous back then, specially around 1930. I wish they had conservated the old downtown like that, and built the new downtown elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Interesting photos. My father lived in Rio for about six months and my family almost moved there at that time, in 1973. I would have been an ex-patriate like the ones photographed here if we had indeed gone--it was a five-year assignment--but he decided on California instead. I should go to their website to see if my friend (whose family moved to Brazil when her father took the job my Dad passed on) went to that school.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 4:29 AM
skeetskeetskeet

all i can say is WOW! id have to say that this is one the best FOUND PHOTO threads ever. but of course, i have an affinity for old photos. fantastic! thanks!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 4:31 AM
skeetskeetskeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude from Rio View Post
There´s no way to describe how sad I feel when I look at these old Rio photos...so beautiful, so unreal and so far away from the dump that this city has become. Geography aside, there is nothing that resembles what it once was, this place is a free for all mess, nobody respects anything anymore. It´s every man for himself.

Good riddance Rio de Janeiro....I´m glad I´m moving very far away, you shall not be missed. Good luck to those who stay behind.
wow this makes me sad to even read this. the above pictures completely changed the way i looked at that city, but apparently, its all gone now. i think i always knew, but never wanted to admit it...those days (above) are gone.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 9:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
Hmmm... even with the American School and american business man in Rio, I have my doubts about the validity of the claim of largest US influenced city in the americas.

Was Rio more influenced about US than São Paulo and Buenos Aires or Mexico City? How much were they really influenced by US other than the usual influence from business and tourists that every major country capital receives?

You use the expression "north american settlers". I may be wrong about the word settlers, and some american may correct me here... but no american has settled Rio de Janeiro... to me, the word settler has the same meaning as colonizer, the first people to arrive at a place and build there. It doesnt apply to immigrants or businessman/politicians and their families, living in a ready big city.

Anyway, very cool pictures. Rio was gorgeous back then, specially around 1930. I wish they had conservated the old downtown like that, and built the new downtown elsewhere.

It's hard for you to understand that. You have never been to Rio and, besides, you are from southern Brazil, so you are a bit disconnected from what happens in Rio and, let's say, in Southeast Brazil.

Rio was the capital city of Brazil in the 50's, as well as the country's richest city.

Aside from that, Rio had ( and still has) a strong connection with the US.

Hollywood actors and millionaires had homes in Rio in the past and were always in the city for holidays. Many americans were attracted to Rio by the setting, the beaches, the sun and the carnival. Rio is extremely alluring for americans.

I don't know why I'm trying to explain that to you, since you don't know Rio... but if you go nowadays in Rio, you'll see lots of americans in the streets of Copacabana and Ipanema. They are everywhere. Not only tourists, but also permanent residents.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
It's hard for you to understand that. You have never been to Rio and, besides, you are from southern Brazil, so you are a bit disconnected from what happens in Rio and, let's say, in Southeast Brazil.
who said I have never been to Rio??

Quote:
Rio was the capital city of Brazil in the 50's, as well as the country's richest city.
Really? Rio was the capital until Brasilia was built?? Nooooo... how my history teacher never mentioned that??

As for Rio being the richest city back then, I am not completely sure... in 1950 São Paulo was already very rich, so I am not so sure. A 1950 GDP statistic for each city would be good.

Quote:
Aside from that, Rio had ( and still has) a strong connection with the US.
I dont think so.

Quote:
Hollywood actors and millionaires had homes in Rio in the past and were always in the city for holidays. Many americans were attracted to Rio by the setting, the beaches, the sun and the carnival. Rio is extremely alluring for americans.
still, Rio was a big city, and the number of americans back then never was enough to make Rio a US influenced city more than any other brazilian city.

Quote:
I don't know why I'm trying to explain that to you, since you don't know Rio... but if you go nowadays in Rio, you'll see lots of americans in the streets of Copacabana and Ipanema. They are everywhere. Not only tourists, but also permanent residents.
This doesnt modifies ANYTHING about what I said. How many americans live in the city? Only 14 thousand. 0,2% of the city population.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos