HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Looks like they had to remove a bunch of trees for that 8th and Grand project, that blows.... Will developer be forced to plant mature trees in their place?
The renderings do show trees, but one never really knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
I was just in DTLA this weekend and was impressed with the activity and streetlife which seems (to me anyway) to have increased over the past few years.
Without a doubt it's increased.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 9:10 PM

Macys Plaza Update - July 1st 2014

Macys Plaza by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Shame on Charles Luckman. Amazing that he also did the Theme Building at LAX (which I believe to be overrated). Everything else he did was pretty awful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Luckman

The sidewalk being closed at the corner of 7th/Hope has been a real pain.

View down Flower

Discovered this. I actually like the painted brick much more than I would've expected. Excited to see it implemented.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Looks like they had to remove a bunch of trees for that 8th and Grand project, that blows.... Will developer be forced to plant mature trees in their place?
Yup, new sidewalks and trees that are compliant with the downtown LA guidelines passed a few years ago. Another benefit of new development.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 1:18 AM

JULY 1ST PHOTOS

Wilshire Grand
Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

IT RISES

7th & Spring CVS looks to be ready to open in August. I can't wait to see this corner literally cleaned up.

CVS @ 7th & Spring by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

After 2 years of dealing with the anti-business, anti-economy LA City, Springtime In New York ready to open. Original article can be found here: http://brighamyen.com/2012/09/10/spr...g-downtown-la/

"Springtime in New York" by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Spring Arcade building. The awful electronics shop on the left is vacating its spot, but moving to Broadway...

Spring Arcade building by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Alexandria retail getting swapped out for (possibly) better tenants.
Alexandria Retail being replaced by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Broadway Mall before its beautified (And apartment building restoration just beyond it).
Broadway Mall 5th & Broadway by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Pershing Square with Park 5th site in the background.
Pershing with Title Gaurantee - 5th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

7th & Grand with Onni in the background (and 8th/Grand Whole Foods site in the foreground).
7th & Grand with 9th & Olive in background by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Metropolis Site to the right, parking structure (with retail) to the left. New Marriot in the center.
Metropolis Site (across street) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Francisco parking structure.
8th & Francisco by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

And of course more 8th & Hope pictures. Really love this building.
8th & Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive 7 story projects.
Olympic & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Not too long ago the 4 towers in the distance didn't exist.
Southwest Downtown by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 1:26 AM

Great stuff per usual!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMojo View Post
Great stuff per usual!
Thanks Brian!

Heres some 8th/Grand (Whole Food site) progress.

8th & Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:
I hate that they left the pine trees but chopped the ficus trees, wtf, ficus trees are so beautiful.

instead they plant nasty sycamores (some developments) even worse than those pine trees, no shade, drop leafes, and are brown 1/3 ofthe year, green 1/3 of the year, and the last 1/3 of the year it has no leaves.

They should replant Ficus trees but add that deep watering system they use in cities like san francisco that prevent the lifting of the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
The renderings do show trees, but one never really knows.
fwiw, this is the newer, updated image of the whole foods apt proj....

archinect.com

Quote:
Macys Plaza Update - July 1st 2014

Shame on Charles Luckman. Amazing that he also did the Theme Building at LAX (which I believe to be overrated). Everything else he did was pretty awful:

Discovered this. I actually like the painted brick much more than I would've expected. Excited to see it implemented.
great photo updates of what's going on with the former broadway plaza, more recently macys plaza. That interior actually looks even worse than it originally did, following an ill advised renovation of it several yrs ago. The hanging lights in the main courtyard are extremely low budget looking, & are a replacement for the original light fixtures, which at least were larger & more professional in appearance. Thank goodness that will all soon be a distant memory.

but overall, yes, Luckman was a fairly mediocre architect, best exemplified to me by his LA convention ctr bldg of 1971, which looks like a giant home storage locker bldg. I've been hoping a football stadium is eventually approved & built in that location, if only since that will require the demolition of the original wing of the convention ctr.

however, I believe the LAX theme bldg actually was probably more influenced by one of his partners than it was by him alone. It seems too fanciful to have come out of his drafting board. I personally have long liked the jetsons look of that structure. To those who don't know what that reference is all about, I recommend watching jetsons cartoons posted to youtube.

the painted brick walls of the renovated macys plaza will be a visual relief....much preferable to the mottled red brick look, which I've never cared for.

I find it strange to be posting to the 'my city photos' forum since until now I've rarely bothered visiting this part of ssp. This may be one of the few threads in this section that imho has some greater substance to it & less of a travelogue lite quality.

It will be interesting....& great....if this thread does to the 'my city photos' section what the 'noirish los angeles' thread has done to the 'found city photos' section. Or create an interesting niche that goes in one direction while most of the other threads surrounding it move in another direction.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:23 AM

As far as Luckman is concerned he had some successes (a contributing part of the Theme bldg.) and many dogs (e.g. Broadway Plaza--which I remember when it first opened). But for some reason I still love the Prudential center in Boston despite its clunkiness. Hunter, great photos as usual. I'm impressed with the progress on the new Federal courthouse, and if anyone wants to get an idea of how tall it will be when completed it is about the same height as the Foltz Criminal Justice Center (Criminal courts building on Temple--approx.260 ft.). Hunter good luck with your own thread, so far it looks great--now you don't have to take guff from anyone.

PS could someone give me directions on how to get directly to this new thread starting at the first window on SSP

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
As far as Luckman is concerned he had some successes (a contributing part of the Theme bldg.) and many dogs (e.g. Broadway Plaza--which I remember when it first opened). But for some reason I still love the Prudential center in Boston despite its clunkiness. Hunter, great photos as usual. I'm impressed with the progress on the new Federal courthouse, and if anyone wants to get an idea of how tall it will be when completed it is about the same height as the Foltz Criminal Justice Center (Criminal courts building on Temple--approx.260 ft.). Hunter good luck with your own thread, so far it looks great--now you don't have to take guff from anyone.

PS could someone give me directions on how to get directly to this new thread starting at the first window on SSP
Thanks!

The Federal Courthouse is really screamin, its pretty astonishing how quickly its going up. Never thought I'd see the day when that big pit was filled in.

To get to this thread from http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php

Scroll down to the 'Photography Forum' section. Under that is "My City Photos" (click it). Thats where this thread resides.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 3:42 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick update on Macys Plaza! I like the white gradient paint over the brick. Now I'm really looking forward with the announcements of the new retail at the Bloc. Maybe an Apple store as the rendering shows? Also excited for the 7th St. Metro Station connecting with the Bloc!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:46 AM

8th & Hope demonstrating how well a parking podium can look. Incredible that 1 block away is the worst podium in Downtown LA (WATERMARKE @ 9th/Flower).

Notice the (once large) parking lot in the middle-left of frame. Currently under construction is a parking structure (with retail). Likely this month a 33-story will break ground in the space fronting 9th.

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 4, 2014 at 6:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:50 AM

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 6:12 AM

As upset as I am about the 8th & Grand structure being a 7-story monolith, I must admit words cannot describe the impact it will have on the core. It will be taller than both structures to its immediate north.

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Jul 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 6:37 AM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:07 PM

Delete

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
As upset as I am about the 8th & Grand structure being a 7-story monolith, I must admit words cannot describe the impact it will have on the core. It will be taller than both structures to its immediate north.

Based upon the most current renderings 8th and Grand, as monolithic it is, may prove to be a very interesting centerpiece for neighborhood activity. On that note Hunter, you show photos of various developments with still (after many years on the market ) vacancies. It makes me wonder if the planning department's philosophy of ground floor retail is not creating a saturated retail environment. I agree that it diminishes what is considered "dead space" which creates an unpleasant experience for the pedestrian, but much can be done to design the lower floor of a development that is pleasant for the pedestrian and doesn't necessarily have to have retail. I don't object to convenience retail in strategic nodes in South Park, but when I see retail planned for the ground floor of every development I think that is retail that could be located on Broadway, 7th, or Hill, streets that have so much underutilized (read "swapmeet") or vacant space. Its seems as if there is potential retail energy which is being diverted from these critical thoroughfares. With new development, I say let the developers decide what is best for the ground floor of their developments. Otherwise, if the city demands (as it does) it, it will more than likely stay vacant for a long time and end up costing the developer money. By the way, I think that any pedestrian walking past a chronically vacant retail space, would find that to be an unpleasant experience. Group, what are your thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Based upon the most current renderings 8th and Grand, as monolithic it is, may prove to be a very interesting centerpiece for neighborhood activity. On that note Hunter, you show photos of various developments with still (after many years on the market ) vacancies. It makes me wonder if the planning department's philosophy of ground floor retail is not creating a saturated retail environment. I agree that it diminishes what is considered "dead space" which creates an unpleasant experience for the pedestrian, but much can be done to design the lower floor of a development that is pleasant for the pedestrian and doesn't necessarily have to have retail. I don't object to convenience retail in strategic nodes in South Park, but when I see retail planned for the ground floor of every development I think that is retail that could be located on Broadway, 7th, or Hill, streets that have so much underutilized (read "swapmeet") or vacant space. Its seems as if there is potential retail energy which is being diverted from these critical thoroughfares. With new development, I say let the developers decide what is best for the ground floor of their developments. Otherwise, if the city demands (as it does) it, it will more than likely stay vacant for a long time and end up costing the developer money. By the way, I think that any pedestrian walking past a chronically vacant retail space, would find that to be an unpleasant experience. Group, what are your thoughts?
I do find it very unpleasant walking by vacant retail, but I'm an exception - I doubt most people even notice honestly.

I think just in terms of planning for the future it is important to force developers into creating retail on the ground floor. The next 5 years in DTLA will see us hit critical mass, and all the retail will fill out.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:12 PM

Will anyone will take new Wilshire Grand pictures this weekend?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Will anyone will take new Wilshire Grand pictures this weekend?
If you scroll up you'll see the Wilshire Grand images I took 3 days ago.

Wilshire Grand does a great job of posting construction photos themselves:
http://www.wilshiregrandcenter.com/photos
https://www.facebook.com/WilshireGrandCenter

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos