HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:24 AM
Hong Kong

9/26

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:28 AM
Hong Kong

Toronto Megaproject 'The Well' Is Canada's Answer to Hudson Yards
Bloomberg Excerpt
Nov 19, 2023

Friction is the enemy of shopping. Out of stock, out of your size, check another department. Go upstairs, go downstairs, go to the other store. Can’t find a sales associate, can’t find an open register. More recently, closed anchors and empty storefronts have emerged as obstacles to the trance-like state that retail stores hope to induce in consumers. There’s even a name for this effect: the Gruen transfer, after Victor Gruen, the father of the shopping mall.

But the first point of friction for any retail establishment is simply getting them in the door. Revolving or slider? Heavy or light? Push or pull? Neither shopper nor seller likes being embarrassed by a portal.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I walked up to The Well — a seven-building mixed-use retail, residential and office development in the heart of Toronto — and found it had no front door at all. I walked under the boxy overhang of the project’s sole office tower (1.2 million square feet) and into a 36-foot-tall forest of fat concrete columns. Beneath my feet the pavement changed from a concrete grid to a dappled pattern of smaller granite blocks, opening into a 320,000-square-foot retail space enclosed by a German-engineered glass canopy three stories up.

More : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...o-hudson-yards

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 10:40 PM
Midtowner since 2K

This is basically complete, as I believe the only things left UC is the 7th building, and the park spaces. I took these today, and the crane in the distance is for a nearby office project.
Construction, Downtown, Jny10,24 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Construction, Downtown, Jny10,24 by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:35 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

The Well:

Video Link

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:06 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I think we can put this as completed. The mall is about 60-70% open and most buildings are now occupied if not in the process of being occupied by purchasers.
I took these on Monday from the neighbourhood to the south, CityPlace
Sunny Monday by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
The office tower is poking out behind these buildings
You can see the office tower to the right here

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction