HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:20 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
As for the total number of floors, there appears to be a number of floors with two levels of windows per floor. I chose not to double count those windows and came up with a building in the 30 +/- story range.
I agree. I counted a few times and I settled around 29-32 floors not counting the mechanical pent house. In any case, I don't mind the design at all, but the color of the precast concrete panels on the lower portion will make or break that design.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:43 PM

Turnberry releases initial plans

Today, Aventura, FL-based Turnberry Associates real eased initial plans for their development in SoBro at the corner of 8th Avenue South & Demonbreun Street.

Estimated cost is at $300mil and will include a hotel and 250 condo units. Pre-leasing begins next year and projected groundbreaking in 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-revealed.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:46 PM

Which will break ground first, this or Tony G's SoBro ?

*runs away*

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:37 AM

I just returned from a 3 night stay at a Marriott Residence Inn in midtown NYC. This hotel was not fancy, as most MRI's aren't, but it was very well designed and the rooms for a new hotel property in NYC were actually a decent size. I stayed on the 57th floor with views of Central Park and Hudson river. Absolutely stunning views. What was really interesting about this hotel was its foot print. With over 60 stories, there were only 6-8 rooms on each floor. Marriott purchased the southeast corner of the block the hotel sits on and it shared with Marriott Courtyard. I believe the Courtyard occupied the floors above the lobby up to the 34th floor. The rooms in the MRI were not like your typical MRI rooms. The kitchenette was actually a wall of cabinets with built in refrigerator/freezer drawers, dishwasher drawer, microwave, small appliances stowed away, cookware and dinnerware all stowed away. I had a king corner room, The bath was small, but very well done. It had a floor to ceiling window, which at first was weird, but they did provide a privacy roller shade. Anyway, I bring up this hotel because I think developers in Nashville should think along the same scale when building apartments, hotels and condo's. You don't have to build residential and hotel properties with 20 units on each floor. I also went into an apartment building in NYC that had only four units per floor. It was approx. 50 stories. Each apartment was a corner unit and had 2- 3 bedrooms. The footprint for this building was easily half of most buildings, yet it had a very impressive statue. It would be great if developers in Nashville would start considering buildings that take up less ground space and build up.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:20 PM
Nashville born and raised

Richard Branson to open third "Virgin' Hotel in Nashville in 2016

According to the Tennessean...

Quote:
Nashville will be the third city in the U.S. to get a Virgin Hotel, the luxury hotel brand created by billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson.
The company announced today that Virgin Hotels Nashville will open in 2016 at the heart of the city's Music Row neighborhood. The company's first two hotels are planned for New York and Chicago.
The lot is at One Music Square, a prominent location on the historic music row area as shown below....

No renderings released yet, but based on Branson's taste in architecture, I'd say anything goes.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
The lot is at One Music Square, a prominent location on the historic music row area as shown below....

...based on Branson's taste in architecture, I'd say anything goes.
Just yesterday morning I saw crews tearing down the (rather pretty, I thought) old brick building at that location, and today it's a mere heap of rubble. What a shame, I thought, but maybe something really interesting will get put there. I guess "interesting" was exactly the right word.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

For a 2016 opening the Virgin Hotel either won't be very big, or they're ready to roll on this thing fairly soon. I'm looking forward to seeing the design.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:16 PM

More on Branson's hotel plans, among other items, from The Tennessean:
  • the Virgin hotel will be 240 rooms, allegedly plus a good deal of retail / restaurant space.
  • Construction to start this summer, opening scheduled for 2016
  • Nashville's hotels are reporting strong numbers, including an occupancy rate that has climbed to 60.7%
  • Four Seasons, Trump, and the Peabody are supposedly all considering expansion here

I've been pretty amazed lately at the rate at which Nashville is adding hotel capacity, but seemingly the demand is really there. The convention center doing its job for the local economy, perhaps?

Also, there's news about the Methodist Publishing House site downtown, also in The Tennessean:

"Turnberry Associates is planning a $300 million project, including a hotel and 250 condo residences, on property it has under contract with the United Methodist Publishing House in downtown Nashville. Preconstruction sales of the condo units could begin next year, with construction expected to start in the first quarter of 2016."

So I guess we have two more things to get excited about, including waiting for design renders of both these. What do you lot think might we conclude about the potential height of these two projects? Sounds like they'll have at least a little height. All good stuff for the urban core, regardless.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:03 AM

Pic on UrbanPlanet shows the McHugh office that is the GC for The SoBro and should see movement within 2-4 weeks, if that long.

First of two crane bases have been delivered and set at the 1515 Demonbreun apartment tower at the Musica Roundabout.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Pic on UrbanPlanet shows the McHugh office that is the GC for The SoBro and should see movement within 2-4 weeks, if that long.

First of two crane bases have been delivered and set at the 1515 Demonbreun apartment tower at the Musica Roundabout.

The 32 story SoBro Apartments

The 18 story 1515 Demonbruen at Music Row

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:20 AM

Hello,

This is my first time writing on this thread so I hope it gets posted correctly. First, I want to say thanks for everyone who is active on here, it is always nice to be able to catch up on Nashville Development news from out of town. Secondly, I am an Urban Planning Grad Student at the University of New Orleans (I'm originally from Nashville), I am doing a case study on how the Music City Center has spurred private real estate development around it. I basically am trying to show how public investment can foster private development. I am trying to put together a preliminary list of sites around the Convention Center that are being redeveloped because of the presence of the MCC. Just off the top of my head I have:

-SoBro
-Westin
-Marriott?
-The Turnberry Associates recent announcement

I figured I would post a reply to this Nashville Development thread to see if anyone could tell me what I am leaving out or if anyone had any research suggestions. I will try to pull numbers from the CVB and discuss increase in hotel demand and possibly an increase in downtown sales tax revenue (if I can find that).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfloftis View Post
Hello,

This is my first time writing on this thread so I hope it gets posted correctly. First, I want to say thanks for everyone who is active on here, it is always nice to be able to catch up on Nashville Development news from out of town. Secondly, I am an Urban Planning Grad Student at the University of New Orleans (I'm originally from Nashville), I am doing a case study on how the Music City Center has spurred private real estate development around it. I basically am trying to show how public investment can foster private development. I am trying to put together a preliminary list of sites around the Convention Center that are being redeveloped because of the presence of the MCC. Just off the top of my head I have:

-SoBro
-Westin
-Marriott?
-The Turnberry Associates recent announcement

I figured I would post a reply to this Nashville Development thread to see if anyone could tell me what I am leaving out or if anyone had any research suggestions. I will try to pull numbers from the CVB and discuss increase in hotel demand and possibly an increase in downtown sales tax revenue (if I can find that).
I think it's a little early to understand the full impact the MCC has. Obviously there are a lot of hotel announcements floating around, but at present, none of those are actually U/C. I think at least 1 or 2 big ones will eventually rise. I also think there will be development all along KVB and in SoBro -- however, some of that would happen regardless of the MCC IMO. Nashville was booming before the MCC. I think developments like the SoBro and the proposed Sheet Music have less to do with the MCC, too. If you are going for the development angle, I would focus on hotels that are/will get built. That investment is substantial, and it will bring ancillary development (primarily entertainment and retail/restaurants that cater to tourists)...but I would guess that it will be at least a decade before that type of development is built out -- and by then you will be out of school, so that's no help.

I think where you might see some more immediate impacts are in terms of current hotel occupancy rates (especially downtown) and events/conventions that bring lots of money to the area, which make building hotels and entertainment venues more viable. The increase in space allows for events like the NCAA Women's Final Four, which got rave reviews from those that participated/attended, and pumped an estimated $25 million into the local economy.

You might also be able to make the connection that having the MCC helped Nashville land the SEC Men's and Women's tourneys for the next 12 years (9 men's, 3 women's) as a "permanent" site. We have hosted before, but I do think the presence of the MCC helped push Nashville ahead to get the nod for the permanent status. The value of pairing the MCC with the arena was very wise (also note that building the arena next to the entertainment district 18 years ago proved to be very smart).

This critical mass of both tourist and local entertainment helps feed off of each other and make Nashville very attractive to prospective events. Rather than simply focus on future development, you might dig into the past and discuss the wisdom of clustering civic buildings to create an entertainment hot zone. Obviously that all started quite a while ago with the Lower Broad/2nd Ave "District".

For the public development leading to private development angle, you can start with the historic protections on The District, which preserves the old character and provides a "charming" backdrop for the honkytonks that draw tourists in. It wouldn't be the same if those gritty old warehouses were allowed to be razed in favor of more clean, sterile venues. There was (and still is) plenty of space for that in SoBro (a named coined to the area that didn't exist before -- another example you can use -- branding).

From there, the big catalyst in development was the arena, which was planned about 20 years ago. That was a HUGE shot in the arm to downtown businesses and really added to the vibrancy to the area (and brought the locals back in via sports and major concerts).

The city also decided that SoBro would be a good location for the Symphony Hall (that was a quasi-public/private investment -- IIRC, the city donated the land, and the Symphony owns the venue).

Then you have the MCC. Since the MCC is so new, it's impact cannot fully be measured, so I think using the MCC as an example of a continuing timeline of the city clustering public development to transform the area south of Broadway (SoBro) would be wise, rather than to solely focus on the MCC's impact alone. It would be an example of "this is what the city did in the past, and the MCC works to further the transformation of Downtown Nashville."

Now, of course, this is your paper, so it should be your voice, your perspective. You definitely need to do a bit of research, but I hope that some of these suggestions help you frame your case study. Best of luck, and feel free to ask more!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 3:07 AM

Also, I'll try to do a little digging and come up with some smaller projects that you should include as part of the more immediate impact of the MCC.

-There's a redevelopment project of an old church (I believe it is to become a music venue) on the SE corner of 4th and KVB

-There's the 3 story + rooftop balcony venue/diner that is in the early construction stages on the SE corner of 3rd and Demonbreun (the small corner site that will be surrounded by Tony G's SoBro tower).

-you could also include any of the continuing developments on Broadway such as the Tootsie's expansion and the ACME building redevelopment at 1st and Broad.

While these are relatively small developments, it does show the ripple effect of increased activity both boosting big time, big money developments as well as smaller developments.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 6:56 AM

mfloftis,
The Hampton Inn at the corner of 4th and KVB was the first. It was built before the MCC (Music City Center) and it would have been built with or without the MCC but the location and scope was a direct result of the MCC.

The next ones were:
- Omni Hotel (21 floors) on 4th and KVB
- Country Music Hall of Fame expansion: I am not 100% sure this is a result of MCC
- The Hyatt Place (13 floors) on 3rd and Molloy
- Renovation of the Bridgestone Arena entrance on Demonbreun
- new Central Police Precinct Station on 6th and KVB

Under construction:
- Hilton Garden Inn (11 floors) on 3rd and KVB
- 24 hour diner (3 floors) on 3rd and Demonbreun

Cancelled:
- Swerdling and Assoc. proposed hotel (15-17 floors) on 2nd and Broadway ***This was approved for a $3 million TIF

Proposed:
- Westin on 8th and Clark
- Turnberry project (J.W. Marriott?) on 8th and Demonbreun
- Marriott at 8th and Demonbreun***This was approved for a $3 million TIF
- Spring Hill Suites and Residence Inn on 5th/6th and KVB
- Stix art project on the roundabout
- The Bell Tower (old church) on 4th and KVB (restaurant and bar/patio)

And remember: the privately developed Musicians Hall of Fame was in the footprint of the MCC and had to be moved. The compromise was to give space in Municipal Auditorium

And then the old convention center will be redeveloped. Current proposal includes African-American History Museum, retail shopping and an office tower (15-25 floors)

After that, then you can look at others like:
- Nashville Rescue Mission: renovation of Lafayette entrance
- Tootsie's expansion on Broadway
- ACME building
- new bar on Broadway 1/2 block from 3rd (sorry, don't know name)

Hope this helps

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 2:02 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that it makes more sense to frame this study as a district-wide redevelopment approach rather than a MCC specific approach. All of this information gives me a very good place to start.

Thanks again.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:48 AM

Looks like the West End Summit is still being pitched to prospective tenants even after HCA withdrew from their MOA about a year ago.

From today's Tennessean...

Quote:
Nashville developer Alex Palmer says he's stayed focused on wooing potential tenants for his long-delayed West End Summit since hospital giant HCA halted plans for two subsidiaries to anchor twin office towers at the site.

The original plan (shown above) included a 27 story/407' office building and an 18 story condo/hotel (Intercontinental brand).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 11:56 PM

The 22nd and State Apartments have begun construction.

They are in the Mid Town Hospital district just blocks from Vanderbilt and Centennial Park. They should fill up fast.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:12 PM

Some other significant projects we've discussed here have begun construction. Among the ones I've observed:

OneC1ty, where the entire site is bustling with machinery:

1515 Demonbreun apartment building likewise:

(And next door on Demonbreun the new hotel, the name of which I can't remember, is now a large structure starting to have its facade finished at street level.)

Also "The Sheds" office space, a smaller project but IMO a really good re-use of old structures:

There are of course many others, but these are a few I've noticed which haven't been mentioned as much lately (except for 1515). Something is being built on West End around 18th or 20th, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here at some point, but I can't keep track of all the different projects and don't know what it is.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
"There are of course many others, but these are a few I've noticed which haven't been mentioned as much lately (except for 1515). Something is being built on West End around 18th or 20th, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here at some point, but I can't keep track of all the different projects and don't know what it is."

The Spring Hill Suites at 18th and West End are nearing completion and a 3 story, Renasant Bank building is well under construction also on the other side of the Hutton Hotel. It is not tall, but comes up to the street and provides urban density and massing to West End.

With two other projects proposed/rumored in the immediate area, these few blocks are become very urbanized.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 8:05 PM

Construction on the First Tennessee Ballpark is coming along fine.

Renderings...

And construction photos...

Located in the NoCap (north of the capitol; get it?) area, it won't be very accessible to downtown services. But some small version of Wrigleyville or Yankee Town may develop hopefully.

The Capitol Mall one block away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations