HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 11:06 AM

Was driving down Stone Oak Pkwy earlier tonight and noticed it was lit up from the hill before Knights Cross. Drove down to check it out and snapped this pic. Looks good in person, really bright.

IMG_0136 by alexdskates210, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:08 PM
James

Yes! It looks good!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 9:21 PM

wow, I'm a fan of that lighting up top. Definitely a building that looks better at night than during the day.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:02 AM

This may be color changing LED lights which seems to be very popular now. So may see red/green colors for Christmas, teal, pink and orange colors for Spurs (hard to do silver and black), red/white/blue for 4th of July.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 1:29 AM

We need a skyline shot.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:35 PM

Good article into today's paper about the opening of the Thompson Hotel in January.

https://www.expressnews.com/business...y-15714757.php

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:26 PM

additional article from SABJ about Thompson project
------------------------------------------------------------
The Alamo City wasn’t top of mind for DC Partners, according to its CEO, Roberto Contreras, until it encountered an opportunity presented by a Boerne developer, Universal Service Group, and a downtown San Antonio site too good to pass up.

Now, despite the challenges Covid-19 presented in bringing a 20-story hotel and condominium project to completion, Contreras has a much different impression of San Antonio and is already contemplating his Houston firm’s next potential development in the nation’s seventh largest city.

“Honestly, we were not looking to do anything in San Antonio,” Contreras said. "But San Antonio is definitely the jewel of Texas right now. It’s the place to be.”

The 162-room Thompson San Antonio, one of the newest additions to Hyatt’s upscale lifestyle brand, Thompson Hotels, is set to open early next year in a portion of the tower. The 60-plus condos in The Arts Residences portion of the tower are in high demand as nearly 90% have already been sold.

Contreras said the firm nearly pulled the plug on construction when the pandemic hit.

“We looked at putting everything on the shelf,” Contreras said. “Right now, hotels are losing money every day. We talked to our lender to see if it was OK with them to shelve the project.”

The construction continued — in part because of the demand for the residential units. What DC Partners discovered, unlike in Houston, is a hungry condo market with local buyers who plan to make these new condos their home. Those condo sales should help offset an anticipated ramp up on the hotel side as the coronavirus has disrupted travel and affected hotel bookings across the nation.

“Having strong sales on the condos makes our hotel project super safe,” Contreras said, noting also that the development's site along the Museum Reach of the San Antonio River will also be a major plus.

DC Partners is also banking on the fact that San Antonio is a popular drive-to destination, which could draw more leisure business to the hotel early on.

While DC Partners is sold on the city now, it wasn’t always that way.

“Sometimes, you may not see it because it’s gradual, but absolutely San Antonio is becoming a big market. It has many good things happening,” Contreras told me.

He believes the demand for such projects in San Antonio will only increase, especially as more people take note of what's happening some 70 miles to the north.

Said Contreras, “Frankly, why would you go to Austin where it is a lot more expensive?”

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:58 PM

LOVE the lighting. Simple, elegant and adds some balance to things. Bravo!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:28 PM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
additional article from SABJ about Thompson project
------------------------------------------------------------
The Alamo City wasn’t top of mind for DC Partners, according to its CEO, Roberto Contreras, until it encountered an opportunity presented by a Boerne developer, Universal Service Group, and a downtown San Antonio site too good to pass up.

Now, despite the challenges Covid-19 presented in bringing a 20-story hotel and condominium project to completion, Contreras has a much different impression of San Antonio and is already contemplating his Houston firm’s next potential development in the nation’s seventh largest city.

“Honestly, we were not looking to do anything in San Antonio,” Contreras said. "But San Antonio is definitely the jewel of Texas right now. It’s the place to be.”

The 162-room Thompson San Antonio, one of the newest additions to Hyatt’s upscale lifestyle brand, Thompson Hotels, is set to open early next year in a portion of the tower. The 60-plus condos in The Arts Residences portion of the tower are in high demand as nearly 90% have already been sold.

Contreras said the firm nearly pulled the plug on construction when the pandemic hit.

“We looked at putting everything on the shelf,” Contreras said. “Right now, hotels are losing money every day. We talked to our lender to see if it was OK with them to shelve the project.”

The construction continued — in part because of the demand for the residential units. What DC Partners discovered, unlike in Houston, is a hungry condo market with local buyers who plan to make these new condos their home. Those condo sales should help offset an anticipated ramp up on the hotel side as the coronavirus has disrupted travel and affected hotel bookings across the nation.

“Having strong sales on the condos makes our hotel project super safe,” Contreras said, noting also that the development's site along the Museum Reach of the San Antonio River will also be a major plus.

DC Partners is also banking on the fact that San Antonio is a popular drive-to destination, which could draw more leisure business to the hotel early on.

While DC Partners is sold on the city now, it wasn’t always that way.

“Sometimes, you may not see it because it’s gradual, but absolutely San Antonio is becoming a big market. It has many good things happening,” Contreras told me.

He believes the demand for such projects in San Antonio will only increase, especially as more people take note of what's happening some 70 miles to the north.

Said Contreras, “Frankly, why would you go to Austin where it is a lot more expensive?”
Interesting. If you had said, 10-15 years ago, San Antonio has a burgeoning condo market, I'd laugh. For awhile I think it's had the least amount of condos being built compared to the other big 3 TX cities? Maybe the other TX cities are becoming saturated, so S.A. is like the final frontier. Granted, the condo market in the U.S. is really only huge in a handful of cities I can think of (NYC, Miami, etc.), unless I am assessing it wrong.

Curious if the other project he mentioned is Dream Hotel or something else.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 5:56 AM

Skyline shots as requested! Sorry about the last one not being super good quality, best i could do while rolling and with the slow ass kit lens lol.

thompson 1-00001 by alexdskates210, on Flickr

thompson 2-00001 by alexdskates210, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:41 PM

Great shot, OG

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:50 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I see you SA! Looking good!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
We need a skyline shot.
Your wish is granted![IMG]San Antonio Skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:22 PM

I love that photo Raul. Also, thank you OGAlex for your photos too!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Skyline shots as requested! Sorry about the last one not being super good quality, best i could do while rolling and with the slow ass kit lens lol.

thompson 1-00001 by alexdskates210, on Flickr

thompson 2-00001 by alexdskates210, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Your wish is granted![IMG]San Antonio Skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
Awesome shots you guys. I love the lighting.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:57 AM

Thompson San Antonio preview article.

ksat.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 4:51 AM

[IMG]San Antonio Skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Same day, same view, just before dark.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:36 AM

I wonder if the city has any plans to light up the old frost building. It's a drag to look at

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 3:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

From this side it reminds me of an early 1980s video game robot.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I wonder if the city has any plans to light up the old frost building. It's a drag to look at
When I was doing some photoshoping to the photo, I have to agree I stopped and looked at the old Frost and was like, wow I don't remember this building being so ugly. Its almost like the Frost logo that used to be on it covered up is ugliness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio