HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch View Post
I find it hard to consider one of the largest cities in the world an "outpost".

It's power is primary throughout the entire state and into numerous other states, not to mention it's influence in the nation and world as a whole. It is just about the furthest thing from being considered an outpost.
All I'm saying is that its detatched from the rest of the State of New York, it's not an outpost in the sense that it's small. It's not an outpost the way, say, Barrow or Fairbanks is in Alaska but The City and State are worlds apart, even if they influence each other.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
New York City alone is almost half of New York State's population. It's pretty silly to call a place that is nearly half of something an "outpost."
It and Long Island may have most of the state's population but it's still detached from the rest of the state in some ways, so much so that people have to refer to it as NYC as opposed to Upstate New York.

To each their own though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Yeah, with Missouri, it'd almost be a better idea to ask which place is most distinctly Missouri. The easy answer is St. Louis but its at one edge of the map and there's another major city at the other edge.
Yeah, the first city people think of when they hear Missouri is St. Louis, which is ironic considering it is the region with the least in common with the rest of the state. I would say Kansas City is actually much more representative of the state as a whole and gets a lot more love from out-state folks.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
That's a really cool map, but it is broken down kind of strange in a couple of places. For instance, it seems Twin Cities and Minneapolis are both options, as well as New York and New York City. I wonder if the results of one detract from the other. I have to imagine that New York/New York City would have a larger sphere of influence, and I think that the results are skewed because the New York/New York City options aren't combined.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
That's a really cool map, but it is broken down kind of strange in a couple of places. For instance, it seems Twin Cities and Minneapolis are both options, as well as New York and New York City. I wonder if the results of one detract from the other. I have to imagine that New York/New York City would have a larger sphere of influence, and I think that the results are skewed because the New York/New York City options aren't combined.
Seems like whoever did the map didn't do some fine tuning and polishing to final product.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 12:47 PM
Perch

Quote:
All I'm saying is that its detatched from the rest of the State of New York, it's not an outpost in the sense that it's small. It's not an outpost the way, say, Barrow or Fairbanks is in Alaska but The City and State are worlds apart, even if they influence each other.
But that's the thing... NYC is NOT detached from the rest of the state. It couldn't be more attached. New York state is strongly tied to NYC, with NYC exerting power throughout out the state.

Just because areas are "worlds apart" as you say, because they are very different, does not negate the fact that the rest of the state is tightly connected in every sense of connection to NYC.

It seems you need to rethink what you're definition of "outpost" is.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:15 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Yeah, the first city people think of when they hear Missouri is St. Louis, which is ironic considering it is the region with the least in common with the rest of the state. I would say Kansas City is actually much more representative of the state as a whole and gets a lot more love from out-state folks.
Yes, I'd agree that Kansas City is more connected to outstate Missouri, however with the caveat that it is also very much connected to Kansas and has a heavy-duty plains influence. St. Louis is much more of the immediate Mississippi valley confluence of rivers area that it's in, which also of course includes that part of Illinois, which is sometimes called "Southwest" Illinois, which is a much earlier settled part of the state than "Southern" Illinois and has a large German-Catholic population.

Central Missouri around Jefferson City and Columbia (Mizzou) are the most solidly "Missouri" parts of Missouri, which I'd describe as a southern inflected midwestern aesthetic. Sort of like Kentucky mixed with Nebraska.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 1:18 PM
Oak City

While the Appalachian cities and towns of North Carolina (such as Asheville) feel more like Syracuse or Ithaca than North Carolina, I'd have to pick the outer banks around Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head.

They have their own unique culture and they relate more to the mid-atlanta and Chesapeake bay areas than to the reset of the state. They are closer to Norfolk/Virgina Beach than to Raleigh and their local TV news is out of the Norfolk area. They tend to be Washington football and baseball fans while the rest of the state tends to be Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Braves fans.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:23 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Seems like whoever did the map didn't do some fine tuning and polishing to final product.
Read the fine print.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Yes, I'd agree that Kansas City is more connected to outstate Missouri, however with the caveat that it is also very much connected to Kansas and has a heavy-duty plains influence. St. Louis is much more of the immediate Mississippi valley confluence of rivers area that it's in, which also of course includes that part of Illinois, which is sometimes called "Southwest" Illinois, which is a much earlier settled part of the state than "Southern" Illinois and has a large German-Catholic population.

Central Missouri around Jefferson City and Columbia (Mizzou) are the most solidly "Missouri" parts of Missouri, which I'd describe as a southern inflected midwestern aesthetic. Sort of like Kentucky mixed with Nebraska.
Kansas City is Kansas' city, an observation made publicly in different forms since the early 1900's. And had Kansas been allowed to annex all the way to the Blue River, as was once proposed, both Kansas, and likely Kansas City as well, would have been better off for it, all else being held equal.

But, all that said, KC pretty clearly belongs in Iowa.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:50 PM

Illinois is interesting...Chicago appears to dominate more of outstate than Chicagoans would say. I don't know what the St. Louis influence over far southern Illinois is but it's sort of a weird vacuum where the Nashville and St. Louis influences meet. It's a bit eerie driving through that area to Nashville at night.

Here's a question...where the heck is the Quad Cities IA/IL (CSA near 500,000) hinterland? I know it's close-ish to Chicagoland, but it has a distinct upper Mississippi Valley flavor and identity.

The Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington frontier is another weird one, although Kentucky has a very strong sense of itself in the Bluegrass area. Cincinnati doesn't seem to be able to exert influence over very far into Kentucky.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 8:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Illinois is interesting...Chicago appears to dominate more of outstate than Chicagoans would say. I don't know what the St. Louis influence over far southern Illinois is but it's sort of a weird vacuum where the Nashville and St. Louis influences meet.
i think the MLB map is as good a proxy as any to determine the boundary between chicago-oriented illinois and st. louis-oriented illinois.

source: http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=2

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i think the MLB map is as good a proxy as any to determine the boundary between chicago-oriented illinois and st. louis-oriented illinois.
Yeah, the St. Louis/Chicago frontier isn't so much a mystery to me as I have spent so much time in central Illinois. The Chicago Bears hinterland pushes much harder to the south than the Cubs. It's not uncommon to see strange things like Cardinals neon beer signs right next to Bears neon beer signs in the same bar in a swath extending from just outside of metro St. Louis to Peoria. There's a few Cubs friendly bars around St. Louis just over on the Illinois side that I've been in, too (although rare).

When it gets weird is when I start seeing Tennessee Titans stuff mixed with Cardinals.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 9:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
The Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington frontier is another weird one, although Kentucky has a very strong sense of itself in the Bluegrass area. Cincinnati doesn't seem to be able to exert influence over very far into Kentucky.
Cincinnati and Kentucky generally don't like each other. That map reflects that aside from the NKY to Maysville portion of the state.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Cincinnati and Kentucky generally don't like each other. That map reflects that aside from the NKY to Maysville portion of the state.
There also appears to be animosity (or at least a cultural division) towards Louisville from the Bluegrass and other areas of the state...less so towards Nashville down that direction. I'm actually much more familiar with that greater Ohio Valley area south of the river.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
I agree. The DFW metro also has this problem with Dallas, DFW, and Fort Worth. DC is also skewed with Washington and Washington DC.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:30 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
How have I never seen this before? It looks like one of the endless beaches and keys in Florida that all have their own relatively homogenous looking condo skylines.

Thanks for sharing. Looks intriguing.
It only has 2,816 people. It's mostly a resort town and vacation condos. Corpus Christi and Galveston tend to get more attention, but South Padre Island is where you go to really get away. Of course there are all kinds of secluded spots up and down the coast, but the distance thing of South Padre Island makes you feel like you['re really getting away. It's a popular spring break destination.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Kansas City is Kansas' city, an observation made publicly in different forms since the early 1900's. And had Kansas been allowed to annex all the way to the Blue River, as was once proposed, both Kansas, and likely Kansas City as well, would have been better off for it, all else being held equal.

But, all that said, KC pretty clearly belongs in Iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Read the fine print.
They still could have manually edited some things, like New York and NYC as well as Minneapolis and Twin Cities being separate.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

source: http://commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=2
I dunno, Red Sox territory is encroaching wayyyyyyy too much into NYY territory for me to believe too much of this one.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 4:09 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions