Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 3:48 PM

In Buenos Aires, pedestrian streets are the way of the future

Walk this way: In Buenos Aires, pedestrian streets are the way of the future

Aug. 26, 2015

By ROBERT EVERETT-GREEN

Read More: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle26108585/

Quote:
If you spend enough time on pedestrian-only streets in North America, you will eventually experience the eerie emptiness that ensues when the pedestrians for whom cars were banned fail to show up. It happened to me recently on a stretch of Montreal’s Saint Catherine Street, part of which is closed to vehicles each summer, and is almost de rigueur any night on Ottawa’s Sparks Street, Canada’s longest-running failed experiment in car-free perambulation.

- But in Buenos Aires, the city transportation authority believes that pedestrian streets are the way of the future. It has installed 80 blocks of them in the downtown area in the past five years, with another 20 blocks to follow by the end of the year. But there’s a catch: One lane of strictly local traffic is permitted, with a speed limit of 10 kilometres per hour. --- More importantly, the pedestrianized blocks – which feature extra-wide protected areas for those on foot – are part of a comprehensive strategy for managing the flow of people through the densest parts of the city. Buenos Aires’s Sustainable Mobility plan, which was put into action in 2009, gives a starring role to pedestrians and cyclists, but also includes a dramatic shift in public transport.

- Four dedicated bus lanes were created in the middle of Avenida 9 de Julio, a vast urban highway that formerly channelled 20 lanes of car traffic through the downtown area. All of those speedier bus lanes, which have cut daily commuting times in half for 200,000 passengers, were shifted away from narrower streets that have now become pedestrian-friendly zones. --- The city has also created 145 kilometres of protected on-street bike lanes, and installed a free bike program that by the end of 2015 will have 3,000 bikes available at 200 automatic kiosks. Anyone can ride a bike for free in the downtown area on safe bike lanes – a revolutionary change in a city where until recently, cycling was purely recreational.

- “The idea is to take space away from cars and give more space to people,” says Guillermo Dietrich, the head of transport for Buenos Aires. The program has three goals, he says: to improve circulation, reduce pollution and make the city more liveable. “To improve quality of life in the city means improving public space,” he says. You can’t do that by giving priority to cars, he adds. --- Buenos Aires already had a long experience with pedestrianized streets. Portions of Calle Florida were first closed to vehicle traffic in 1911, and became a ped-mall in the modern sense 60 years later. But Dietrich says the street has struggled with the same kind of stagnation experienced by North American pedestrian routes, and was not planned with any wider view of the flow of people through the area.

- The cars that are allowed on the city’s pedestrianized routes must have permits for local residence or work, and you can’t get one if you don’t have your own parking space. The 10-km speed limit, Dietrich says, is based on the first speed limit for cars in London, England, where it was thought that the new horseless carriages should not be allowed to move much faster than the animals they displaced. --- The limit is easy to enforce during the day, less so at night, Dietrich says, especially in parts of the financial district that are quiet after business hours. “It’s not a big risk, because there are not so many pedestrians. But it’s something we must work on as nightlife increases.”

- He says the city was not swayed by the conventional wisdom that pedestrian zones only work in strong retail and nightlife zones. The greater concentration of pedestrians through the whole area is already starting to increase restaurant and residential development, he says, as parking lots are rededicated to other purposes. --- A look at the Buenos Aires experience immediately exposes the weakness of most North American attempts at pedestrianization: that they are too narrowly focused on a few blocks of one street, with little thought given to the broader ecology of public space and transport.

- Guillermo Dietrich insists it’s people who bring in the business – people living and walking in the area. And he denies that something like the Buenos Aires Sustainable Mobility plan, which he expects will expand beyond the downtown area, is only possible in a city of three million. --- “It’s not true,” he says. “You can do this kind of transformation in small cities, too.” But you have to think big, even for a space only a few blocks long.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:42 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

well that looks ped-friendly.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
well that looks ped-friendly.
lul were had

yes thats probably not the best photo to describe what they are doing.

av. 9 de julio is where the busses are being diverted to so that the side streets where they ran before are freed up to be made into pedestrian only streets.

and believe me, even that change to av. 9 de julio is in and of itself a vast improvement to what it was before those bus lanes were added in the middle. it was over the top, just nuts really, it has to be the widest major main street of any city.

also, i know pedestrian streets are a very mixed bag as far as success, but keep in mind BsAs is basically the size of chicago in half the area, so with that kind of density they should do well on certain streets. its a very good idea for this city, but i am curious as to how the shop owners and people living on those new pedestrian streets react, so i would like to hear some follow-up at some point.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:13 PM

Bicycles should be added to the transit malls with bike locks. Or at least have lots of bike parking on the periphery.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

maybe they will be. who's to say yet? i wonder if BsAs has a city bike system? they seem to be all the rage these days around here.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:34 PM

Holy crap thats a wide street. Probably takes 10 minutes just to cross the road from edge to edge... they should run a bus where the pedestrian crossings are for people trying to cross the road.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 5:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Holy crap thats a wide street. Probably takes 10 minutes just to cross the road from edge to edge... they should run a bus where the pedestrian crossings are for people trying to cross the road.
it does -- the bus lanes would make it much easier to cross, if you can believe it!

but dont think that iconic street is typical of BsAs, it most certainly is not.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:41 PM

Just realized Buenos Aires is now covered by street view. Must have happened pretty recently because I've wanted to check it out on street view for a long time. Here's one of the pedestrian streets:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@-34.6022...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 11:50 AM
Tokyo and Paris fan

More than one year, I think.
Buenos Aires strikes me as the most urban city in South America, especially the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ definately. and btw its also known as the paris of the americas. for good reason.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:02 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

More like a mix of Manhattan, Paris and Madrid.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 3:10 PM
arf

I loved Buenos Aires when I was there. The plans for more pedestrian streets should work quite well. It is my favorite city to wander the streets that I have visited. Of course, given how few cities I've traveled to that doesn't say a lot. I have been to Tokyo though and most of the big cities in Canada and a few in the United States.

I'd go back to Tokyo again and I'd go back to Buenos Aires again if I could.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 6:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
More like a mix of Manhattan, Paris and Madrid.
that would be pretty unwieldy for a moniker, probably wouldn't take.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ definately. and btw its also known as the paris of the americas. for good reason.
That's Detroit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions