HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:57 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encolpius View Post
zilfondel: certainly, affordability issues affect many communities, not just nonwhites -- but it's possible that the black community is affected more acutely than others. I think for white progressives the strategy is to understand this first and then talk about defining 'political consensus'.

I'd recommend Karen Gibson's article 'Bleeding Albina' even if you're well-familiar from US history class with deed restrictions and covenants, redlining and blockbusting, abandonment, predatory lending, etc.
Thanks for the reference. I went ahead and downloaded the .pdf of the book through PSU for future reading. The history of Portland's institutional racism is pretty tough to wrap your head around at times, especially for those of us who have only lived here for a few years or so.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion