HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The Vancouver is Awesome article is so misleading. He moved to Port Moody lol, it's not like he left the province or country! If Vancouver operated as a megacity, it would've been just moved to a different neighbourhood, not city!
Was wondering about that. I was guessing Squamish.

Either way, I agree about PM. Places easily accessible by skytrain definitely wouldn't count as nearly suburban elsewhere, many Vancouverities just really embrace the fact that Boundary Road is like a hard border, even though you can drive in to DT from Burnaby Heights faster than many parts of Vancouver proper.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
a 1 bedroom is plenty of space
If you're a bug, maybe.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Hey Castlegar's doors are wide open for my "Vancouver is too expensive to live in" friends!
Lol my dad worked there for a while. Probably half the women there know him well. Would not be surprised if I got half-siblings.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Lol my dad worked there for a while. Probably half the women there know him well. Would not be surprised if I got half-siblings.
Haha! Is he a trades person working a shut-down?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Weird flex but ok.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Haha! Is he a trades person working a shut-down?
He was building houses I believe, basically anything that needed a unskilled laborer whose good with his hands. This was in the 70's-80's.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
The Vancouver is Awesome article is so misleading. He moved to Port Moody lol, it's not like he left the province or country...
Might as well be.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
If you're a bug, maybe.
Different expectations I suppose, not a fan of big indoor spaces. Be it a house or condo. Especially if its more than one level.

My private outdoor space is 60% the size of my unit, I love that personally, but I know that's definitely not the majority of people.

Many of my friends chose the suburbs to have more space for stuff.

I find a small indoor space liberating. For one its easy to decorate, and it doesn't allow you to buy/own too much that you really don't need.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
I find a small indoor space liberating. For one its easy to decorate, and it doesn't allow you to buy/own too much that you really don't need.
Much easier to clean and maintain, too. I get that the studio apartment life isn't ideal, but on the other end of the spectrum, the average two-floor detached house is a logistical nightmare.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:08 PM
BANNED

This was an interesting read.

Quote:
Yu, an expert on Asian-Canadian history, said conflating Vancouver’s housing debate with race is nothing new. The surge of Hong Kong citizens migrating to Vancouver in the 1980s and ’90s sparked a similar fear of foreign investors inflating real estate prices.

Those decades also saw Vancouver’s “monster house” debate take off. When new residents from Hong Kong built large homes in establishment neighbourhoods -- Kerrisdale and Shaughnessy -- predominantly white residents complained the new homes were architecturally jarring and in bad taste. The Hong Kong expats took offence to the term, as it suggested they were monsters by association.

Michael Goldberg, professor emeritus of UBC’s Sauder School of Business, did research on foreign investment at the time. In 1990, Vancouver’s top foreign investors were not from Hong Kong. They were revealed to be mostly American, British, Dutch, and then German, according to the Canadian Yearbook.

And yet the public eye was still set on East Asians, framing them as the foreigners doing the most harm to Vancouver’s real estate landscape.

“The ‘Yellow Peril’ comes out quite often,” said Goldberg of the return of these fears. “Once again, the hysteria is way over blown.”
Quote:
On the widely held notion that foreign investment causes local housing unaffordability, UBC geography professor David Ley tracked an almost one-to-one correlation between real estate prices and international immigration to Metro Vancouver 1977 to 2002 (+0.94, if you really want to be exact). During those years, Ley said his data connecting immigration with house prices is “unusually decisive,” even rising and dipping during key events like the Hong Kong handover in 1997, due to the number of Hong Kong investors in Vancouver.

While there is no definite number on foreign buyers in Metro Vancouver’s housing market, BCREA estimates that foreign ownership in the region is about five per cent. This number is based on data including censuses and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

Economist Muir sees domestic investors having far more impact on the rising price of detached homes. Local investors make three to four times more purchases than foreign ones, according to the BCREA.

“If you eliminated foreign investment completely from Vancouver,” Muir said, “the average homeowner wouldn’t notice a change at all.”

Muir also pointed to Vancouver’s growing population and the geographical limits of the region. Mountains and ocean hem us in; there is limited space to build more detached houses.

“There is an exceptional consumer demand for housing in the province,” Muir said, “but this is driven by people who live and work in these communities.”
https://thetyee.ca/News/2015/08/07/V...Debate-Racism/

Quote:
markets raise broader questions about addressing
international financial crime, currently a sensitive area
of Canada-China relations. Although the overall low
prevalence of foreign money laundering makes it unlikely
to be a major factor behind appreciating housing prices,
public and media concerns about the unknown origins of
these funds persist.
Furthermore, the personal resonances associated with
housing issues introduce social and cultural implications
to the foreign investment controversy, attracting some
allegations of prejudicial motivations. Housing issues
are highly personal matters and as such, they can be
susceptible to narratives that are conducive to controversy.
It is argued that the provision of better data by an
impartial, official entity can serve to de-escalate these
tensions, by facilitating an informed, objective discussion
on the issues.
https://cloudfront.ualberta.ca/-/med...n201508web.pdf

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
This was an interesting read.
It was probably even more of an interesting read almost 5 years ago, when it was written.

For something of Cheung's more recently:

Vancouver House: Whose House Is This?
ARTIFACT: Should we be grateful for Ian Gillespie’s thrust at icon status?
Christopher Cheung 11 Nov 2019 | TheTyee.ca

...Who will live in Vancouver House? The good news is it includes at least one family-friendly three-bedroom unit. That one, however, will put you back $6.9 million plus a $1,547.70 monthly maintenance fee. Then again, you also get five bathrooms and pets are allowed. Another unit, while smaller, sells for millions more.

Gillespie says he has “no idea” whether Vancouver House buyers will be local or global, though units have sold in at least 16 countries and reportedly come with an “asset management” program that insures managers test taps and appliances on behalf of distant owners.

Former Vancouver planning chief Ray Spaxman told the Vancouver Sun this year that developers want potential buyers in Hong Kong or China “to think: ‘I haven’t seen one of those before, I’ve got to have one.’”..

https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2019/11/11/Vancouver-House/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 3:33 PM

Interesting site and resource:

https://revservices.vancouver.ca/prd...es/Search.aspx

Not only can you see the assessment prices for the past five years, unlike on BC Assessment, you can see the breakdown of property taxes and any penalties on the property

It's interesting how much the tier 2 school tax increases the amount of property taxes owed

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 12:40 AM

Has Vancouver reached the second wave of gentrificaton?

The Rash of Restaurant Closures Shows Seattle Has Reached the Second and Terminal Stage of Gentrification
by Charles Mudede • Jan 15, 2020 at 3:54 pm

...there is more to the story of gentrification, and it's only now becoming more apparent—and thanks to that Stanford professor, we can give it a name: second-wave gentrification. It is the other side of the sinister mirror that reflects what the Specials described in 1980 as a "Ghost Town." It is a city that is no longer for people or even for businesses, but just for money, which is mostly invisible. Those empty stores in Vancouver BC and San Francisco are not alone. They are accompanied by an increase of empty homes and luxury condos. The work of urban planner and professor Andrew Yan has revealed the large number of empty residences in Vancouver's value-heated housing market. Yan's findings match those mentioned in the Guardian article, when Daub, during a digression, offers another reason why the stores are empty in San Francisco: "no one is living in the condos at all." He writes: "[A] recent report found there are roughly 38,000 empty homes in San Francisco – three to five times the city’s number of homeless people."

Ruth Glass described the processes that lead to gentrification (a dramatic reduction of the government regulations in the housing market, little to no public or social housing, and the removal of all meaningful capital and price controls). But she did not describe the moment when gentrification transitions from its entrepreneurial stage (a rise in business investments, fancy restaurants, expensive supermarkets, and what have you) to the stage when the housing and commercial real estate values are thoroughly captured by speculators. This class of capitalists leads a city directly to second-wave gentrification, which is when the economic realities of the spatial city are completely separated from the global schemes and capital flows of speculators. Small businesses become ghosts, and not even souls occupy the luxury apartments...

...Speculators will use their political power to press for the next step, which I call billionaire urbanism. This is when a city has no middle, no professionals, no culture, no public spaces, nor even the standard amenities of first-wave gentrification. It is money purified by architecture. And because so much wealth is more and more concentrated at a top that's only diminishing from view, billionaire urbanism can actually survive with complete indifference to market forces, with the competition of entrepreneurs, with the laws of supply and demand. All the value generated by those at the bottom melts into the sky-reflecting glass of empty skyscrapers.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...gentrification

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Has Vancouver reached the second wave of gentrificaton?

The Rash of Restaurant Closures Shows Seattle Has Reached the Second and Terminal Stage of Gentrification
by Charles Mudede • Jan 15, 2020 at 3:54 pm

...there is more to the story of gentrification, and it's only now becoming more apparent—and thanks to that Stanford professor, we can give it a name: second-wave gentrification. It is the other side of the sinister mirror that reflects what the Specials described in 1980 as a "Ghost Town." It is a city that is no longer for people or even for businesses, but just for money, which is mostly invisible. Those empty stores in Vancouver BC and San Francisco are not alone. They are accompanied by an increase of empty homes and luxury condos. The work of urban planner and professor Andrew Yan has revealed the large number of empty residences in Vancouver's value-heated housing market. Yan's findings match those mentioned in the Guardian article, when Daub, during a digression, offers another reason why the stores are empty in San Francisco: "no one is living in the condos at all." He writes: "[A] recent report found there are roughly 38,000 empty homes in San Francisco – three to five times the city’s number of homeless people."

Ruth Glass described the processes that lead to gentrification (a dramatic reduction of the government regulations in the housing market, little to no public or social housing, and the removal of all meaningful capital and price controls). But she did not describe the moment when gentrification transitions from its entrepreneurial stage (a rise in business investments, fancy restaurants, expensive supermarkets, and what have you) to the stage when the housing and commercial real estate values are thoroughly captured by speculators. This class of capitalists leads a city directly to second-wave gentrification, which is when the economic realities of the spatial city are completely separated from the global schemes and capital flows of speculators. Small businesses become ghosts, and not even souls occupy the luxury apartments...

...Speculators will use their political power to press for the next step, which I call billionaire urbanism. This is when a city has no middle, no professionals, no culture, no public spaces, nor even the standard amenities of first-wave gentrification. It is money purified by architecture. And because so much wealth is more and more concentrated at a top that's only diminishing from view, billionaire urbanism can actually survive with complete indifference to market forces, with the competition of entrepreneurs, with the laws of supply and demand. All the value generated by those at the bottom melts into the sky-reflecting glass of empty skyscrapers.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/202...gentrification
The other aspect of this is also the corporatism that is swallowing Vancouver.
Only large sized corporations with massive pockets are able to take risks when even simple projects extend into millions.
By the time permits, planning, build out, lease costs, etc are considered a million dollars is easy to spend.
This doesn't attract creative entrepreneurs, this attracts status quo that is only interested in numbers.

I do find the future of a few cities very curious. If I'm around I want to know what happens to the tech hubs in 20 years.
For all the preaching of sustainability and green washing, I think the West Coast is primed for dramatic collapse, on a long term scale.

The ideologies in Cascadia are leading to some really twisted interpretations of what is best and I think every trend is accelerating, while governments double down on failing ideas.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
Interesting site and resource:

https://revservices.vancouver.ca/prd...es/Search.aspx

Not only can you see the assessment prices for the past five years, unlike on BC Assessment, you can see the breakdown of property taxes and any penalties on the property

It's interesting how much the tier 2 school tax increases the amount of property taxes owed
Thanks some interesting information. Makes you wonder how much things will change for this tax year, new school tax revenue is going to fall sharply while taxes are going to get shifted from high to low tier. Also the 2% shift from commercial to residential and the large increase.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:18 PM

You know, it seems to me that sometimes it makes sense to go beyond traditional mortgage options by using private lender for mortgage. As for me, I have long dreamed of my apartment, small and cozy, with a nice view from the window. But I could not make the right decision based on the unstable state of the financial real estate market. After visiting many different sites, I came across Mortgage Advice Manchester, which helped me with real estate. And I am happy to sit now in a comfortable chair with a laptop in my hands and write this comment. Mortgage Advice Manchester provided me with all the necessary information about my problem. I now believe that one of the most obvious advantages of mortgage for me is that there are far fewer documents than underwriting criteria. Banks have strict criteria for issuing loans. In addition, the application and approval process is much faster and easier than it would be with a traditional lender. Mortgage Advice Manchester is a website that will not make you doubt its effectiveness!

Last edited by AronGlower; Feb 14, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 10:59 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
At $289K, Vancouver's most affordable property is also the city's tiniest
Social Sharing

As Vancouver property prices soar ever higher into the stratosphere, there is one patch of residential land for sale in the city that stands out for affordability.

That's because 1912 William Street is literally a patch: nine feet wide at the front, 60 feet deep and easily mistaken for a muddy driveway belonging to the next door neighbour.

Listed for $289,000, the narrow strip located near Commercial Drive in East Vancouver comes packaged with development plans "not yet approved and not yet rejected" for a three-level, 425 square-foot tiny house.

The tiny lot last sold for $88,000 in July 2020, about the same time B.C. Assessment pegged its value at just $4,900.

The $4,900 figure reflects the low development potential, said Bryan Murao, the deputy assessor with B.C. Assessment.
-https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/at-289k-vancouver-s-most-affordable-property-is-also-the-city-s-tiniest-1.6007132
What really bothers me here is just how rapidly the price went stratospheric. It was purchased and flipped in less than a year and at that time while nothing's actually happened to the land they want more than three times what they paid for it. I can see paying $25K for a strip of land off Victoria that exists due to a zoning anomaly but ten times that for the pretentious proposal of a tiny house is insane.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
What really bothers me here is just how rapidly the price went stratospheric. It was purchased and flipped in less than a year and at that time while nothing's actually happened to the land they want more than three times what they paid for it. I can see paying $25K for a strip of land off Victoria that exists due to a zoning anomaly but ten times that for the pretentious proposal of a tiny house is insane.
I mean who's going to pay that much without permits to build anything.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 12:33 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Going from my experience with ebay and craigslist if someone recently gets something and is selling it again as-is either they broke it or what they got it for turned out to be not possible.
My guess is that it's someone who wants to bet the city would approve it, then flip it again as a developed plot with a very unique house. Optionally a neighbor buying at assessed value to merge the plots. I really can't see someone with that much money being excited to build their first home there or a structure that narrow ever being approved as a rental. Even a seacan is a tight fit.

Put a sheet of plywood on the ground. That is your maximum interior room width, factoring in framing, drywall and exterior cladding.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:34 AM

Langley is unaffordable too. I just submitted for building permits, 35 extra large houses that sold overnight. Almost 2 million each.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy