HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 4:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
This is the best view on the stairs at the right that we ever had. We've seen this photo before.
The upper section is much steeper. Ouch.!!

wikicommon

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 1, 2020 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

wikicommon
Wow, the flight cars are painted white, and looks like they were putting in a new station at the base. And 3rd Street was two-way (no surprise there). But white cars?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 1:31 PM

Maybe a coat of primer before a final coat?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeau View Post
Wow, the flight cars are painted white, and looks like they were putting in a new station at the base. And 3rd Street was two-way (no surprise there). But white cars?
I just watched an episode of "California Gold with Huell Howser" and they visit the future site of Angles Flight, along with the site where the cars were stored (this is circa 1994). One of the guys he interviews, said the original color of the cars we're white, to enhance the idea of an "Flight to heaven" .The orange color didn't happen till the 20's.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 5:42 PM

I think the Huell Howser video you watched is the one I found here.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I think the Huell Howser video you watched is the one I found here.
Bingo Hoss!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
I just watched an episode of "California Gold with Huell Howser" and they visit the future site of Angles Flight, along with the site where the cars were stored (this is circa 1994). One of the guys he interviews, said the original color of the cars we're white, to enhance the idea of an "Flight to heaven" .The orange color didn't happen till the 20's.
Angel's Flight was Leon Praport's flight to Heaven literally. In 2001 the cars collided. Leon was killed and his wife was seriously injured. The Flight was closed for much needed repairs.

LA TIMES: The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the accident, in which one of the cable cars hurtled down a steep track and collided with its twin when its controlling cable slackened while unwinding from its spool. In addition to Leon Praport’s death and his wife’s injuries, six other passengers were injured.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 11:52 PM

Does anyone remember a heavy downpour that occurred in 1962?

A few weeks ago I happened upon four amateur slides showing the aftermath along a stretch of Franklin Avenue in Hollywood.

ebay

As you can see, this first slide shows an open-front grocery store named Haig's Market. Next door there is a venue called the K Club offering cocktails

Do either of these businesses ring a bell with anyone?

In this 2nd slide. . .

the photographer continues down Franklin passing Haig's Market (at right). As you can see there are a plethora of clues down the street.

ebay

This 3rd slide is the only slide that wasn't described as Franklin Ave.

eBay

The photographer was mostly interested in the mud on the street. Does anyone by chance recognize the cross street? It appears to be larger than Franklin Ave.

The last slide, which I found a week later, is a close-up of a car mired in the mud.

eBay

No street is mentioned with this slide.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 2, 2020 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:13 AM
BANNED

New Years Resolution....#1

ensalada

Do more exercise.!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:31 AM

e_r, here's something about the rainstorm in '62 (much edited):

LA Times, 2/13/1962, via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

eBay

The photographer was mostly interested in the mud on the street. Does anyone by chance recognize the cross street? It appears to be larger than Franklin Ave.
That's the second four-door first generation Corvair to show up here recently - one was parked at Tommy's a few days ago.

Last edited by Bristolian; Jan 2, 2020 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:34 AM

Quote:
That's a very nice image, Bill.

The lights look fine. They match the surroundings.

I might have to reevaluate my opinion on the lights.
I should hope so.

That's part of architect Welton becket's master design of the 1960s music ctr.

I've always considered those torch type lights as a elegant design fitting to mid 1960s formalism. Just as the two iron fitted name plates on either side of the staircase on grand are....which is visible in billinglendale's photo. The ones that say 'dorothy chandler pavilion' and 'mark taper forum...'

they originally were plated in a gold color & were painted over in red a few yrs ago....probably by a person in charge of the music ctr...who likely thought the lettering was, as you've described the light fixtures, too extravagant.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:32 AM

I've always wanted to live in the '20s

The Roaring '20s...the sequel? Have a Swell New Year noirishers!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 6:40 AM

Quote:

ensalada

Do more exercise.!!
Exercise, or is Groucho dancing the Charleston?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post

This is the best view on the stairs at the right that we ever had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Here's a picture of the grand opening. I found that the LAT has a much larger version here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post

An amazing angels flight image taken at the grand opening of the railway, December 31st, 1901

Source: Source Los Angeles Times Photography http://latimesphoto.files.wordpress....ght14_9701.jpg
Quote:

This detail acts as a good reminder that Angels Flight also followed that steeper angle in the upper section when it opened.

LAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeau View Post

They were not only white, but also considerably more open at the beginning!

LAT

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:55 PM

Logos of Los Angeles

(Gary Friedman / Los Angeles Times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATIMES.COM
Felix, Little Man and other beloved Los Angeles logos
By Ronald D. White Staff Writer

Western Truck Exchange’s smiling retro trio of Wayne, Dan and Mark make up one of Los Angeles’ best-known company logos, traversing the city on the mudflaps of thousands of trucks.

But there are other local businesses with beloved designs. Here are a few, along with their backstories.

Felix Chevrolet’s wonderful cat

Felix the Cat, “the wonderful wonderful cat,” to quote the cartoon’s long-ago theme song, was the first superstar cartoon character and reigned until he was eclipsed by a big-eared mouse named Mickey.

In 1921, Felix co-creator Pat Sullivan and a friend decided to help each other out on the promotion front, using the latter’s brand new downtown L.A. auto dealership. The friend’s name was Winslow B. Felix, and Felix Chevrolet has carried Felix the Cat as its official mascot ever since.

In 1957, painter Wayne E. Heath was commissioned to create a sign for the dealership’s roof. Aerospace engineers were brought in to make sure the huge neon (now LED) Felix sign — with three 50-by-50-foot sides — was anchored sturdily enough to stay on the roof in a high wind, said Greg Iverson, Felix Chevrolet’s internet and marketing director.

The South Figueroa Street sign, which has been designated a historic cultural monument, is easily visible from the Harbor Freeway and parts of downtown.

Felix Chevrolet branded items can be found for sale online, bringing in $10,000 or more a month to the dealership, Iverson said. Ten percent of the revenue, he said, goes to the current holder of the rights to Felix the Cat, DreamWorks Animation, which is owned by Comcast’s NBCUniversal division.

The biggest seller is Felix Chevrolet license plate frames and inserts, favored by lowrider clubs around the world, he said.

“I just finished the L.A. car show,” Iverson said. “They had 12 lowriders on display down there, and seven of them had our license plates on.”

Western Exterminator’s ‘Little Man’

Western Exterminator’s mascot, dubbed “Little Man,” first appeared in 1931, 10 years after the pest extermination firm was founded in Los Angeles. Dapper in his black tux, wingtips, gloves and top hat, Little Man holds up a warning finger at his arch nemesis, Menace Mouse, with a large mallet hidden behind his back to counter the rodent’s small knife and fork.

Sales representatives for the Yellow Pages, then the preeminent business ad platform, told owners Carl Strom and Ray Lovejoy that Western Exterminator’s sales would improve if they added a logo or a trademark to their advertisement.

Artist Vaughan Kaufman was commissioned to design the character, which was originally called Kernel Kleenup and then Inspector Holmes, the supposed distant cousin of a British fellow named Sherlock. Eventually the company settled on Little Man as a moniker.

In 2012, Western Exterminator was purchased by British firm Rentokil Initial. While that deal was in the works, “I was on a plane flying to Los Angeles, and the gentleman seated next to me asked what I was doing,” recalled John Myers, chief executive of Rentokil North America, based in Charlotte, N.C. “When I told him that I was working with Western Exterminator, he immediately exclaimed, ‘The little man with the hammer!’

“It became very clear to me at that moment the Little Man was so much more than a logo. The Little Man is part of our team, a brand ambassador, salesman and a customer experience expert all in one,” Myers said. “The Little Man is an iconic figure recognized around the world, and we are so proud to have him represent Western Exterminator.”

There are 17½-foot statues of Little Man above the Hollywood Freeway in Los Angeles, along the Bayshore Freeway outside of San Francisco and near Western Exterminator’s main office in Phoenix. He can also be found on every Western Exterminator pest control truck.

But the logo has never been confined to those roles. Little Man has been found on motorcycle gang tattoos and even accompanied the rock band Van Halen in 1984 on their nine-month North American concert tour, rocking out in a stage cartoon and adorning the group’s backstage and after-show passes, which have become a sold-out collector’s item. One of the band members was a client of the company.

El Tepeyac Cafe’s guardians

Elena Rojas still remembers the day in 1986 when a female customer announced that she had flown her boyfriend in from Denver so they could enjoy freshly made machaca burritos at one of Los Angeles’ oldest continuously operating Mexican restaurants. El Tepeyac Cafe opened in 1955. The woman couldn’t remember the restaurant’s name, but she knew to ask directions to the place with the distinctive caricature logo posted outside: a man in a huge sombrero standing with a woman and resting a rifle butt on the ground.

After wolfing down the food, Rojas said, the couple ordered 10 burritos to go before heading off to the flight back to Denver.

The restaurant’s logo dates back to the early 1960s, Rojas said. A student from a local community college drew it to look like Rojas’ father, Manuel, who founded the restaurant, and his sister.

“He was dressed in a charro suit like they wear in the mariachi bands, and she was wearing a Mexican dress. He made them look a little like rebels” with bandoliers across their chests. “It was done in fun and my dad liked it and we started using it,” she said. “Everyone recognizes it.”

Manuel Rojas died in 2013 at age 79. Now Elena Rojas runs the restaurant, which built its reputation on gigantic burritos, including the Hollenbeck, popular among LAPD officers serving in that patrol division.

“He embraced everyone who came to the restaurant,” Rojas said. “People thought of him as a gift from God.”

Happy Foot Sad Foot

For nearly 35 years, the Happy Foot Sad Foot sign advertised a Silver Lake podiatry clinic on Sunset Boulevard and Benton Way but was removed in September after the clinic relocated.

On one side of the rotating rectangle, a cartoon foot — the happy foot — grins and raises its tiny fists in triumph. On the other side, a sad foot grimaces as it hobbles on a flimsy crutch.

The sign was beloved in the neighborhood and regarded by some superstitious fans as a predictor of the near future. Seeing the happy foot first gave hope for a great day ahead. Seeing the sad foot first, not so much.

Barry Richman, the original clinic owner, who based the design on a patient’s sketch, told the L.A. Times in 1999 that the sign’s only power was attracting customers, but he didn’t begrudge others their spin on the sign. “People can make up any kind of craziness they want,” he said, “but I did it just for fun.”

Current owner Thomas D. Lim hopes to mount the sign at his new location, but the landlord so far isn’t keen on the idea. In the meantime, the sign is on display inside the Y-Que Trading Post on Vermont Avenue in nearby Los Feliz, where customers often have to be told that they can’t buy it.

Fiesta Auto Insurance’s magpie

Founded in 1999 in Long Beach, Fiesta Auto Insurance sells automobile insurance and tax preparation services, often in Latino neighborhoods, with the help of a black bird in a yellow hat, its wings assuming a comedic shrugging pose.

Most people think the bird is a crow, said Carlos Gil, director of operations for Fiesta Franchise Corp., now based in Las Vegas.

“It’s actually a magpie, inspired by the cartoon characters Heckle and Jeckle,” Gil said, referring to the yellow-billed avian cartoon pair that made their postwar animation debut in 1946 in the Terrytoons cartoon “The Talking Magpies.”

“The idea for the logo came together with the help of some of our original franchisees,” Gil said, starting out with “a dodo bird costume. We didn’t want to use a real movie star or a sports player because we had all heard horror stories about having your company tied to a person in a scandal. Humans make those kinds of mistakes. Cartoon characters typically don’t.”

From its modest Southern California origins, Fiesta has enjoyed steady growth. In 2006, the company started offering franchises. It now has more than 210 offices in California and eight other states: Colorado, Florida, Illinois, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas. Counting full-time employees and franchisees, there are about 600 people representing the brand, Chief Executive John Hollar said.

Max the Magpie is prominent on company websites, and most franchises have someone in costume making the rounds with customers or drawing attention to the business by walking the sidewalk and parking lot, waving at passersby and exhorting visitors to come inside.

How often are customers drawn in because of the magpie? “It happens all the time,” said Gil. “I’ve seen people taking selfies with the bird before they even come into the office.”
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...les-best-logos

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Neat. I didn't know there was an actual angel at the old station. I wonder if it's gathering dust in storage somewhere after all these years...

On a related note, I noticed recently that the west entrance of the 3rd street tunnel is being remodeled, uncovering the original portal.

https://goo.gl/maps/bn23N9L1LvkU9Ksy7
Compare the 2018 and 2019 streetview images.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:38 AM

Quote:

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Here is our mystery building, which the video identifies as "Back of the Hotel Lone Wolf". With its Tudor style, I did consider the Cotton Club as a possible location, but the front didn't match and the rear was very plain. It was located just off the top-right corner of the aerial above.

Youtube

As the first aerial above shows, the area was empty by 1928, so I'm guessing that it was just a set/façade. I'll have to see if it appeared in any other Hal Roach movies.

I think the mystery building from Fast Company does appear in your 1928 aerial - it was moved a little way west sometime between 1923-24 and 1926.

1923/24 detail from - silentlocations.com
1926 detail from - tessa.lapl.org

I think this is it in the 1928 aerial.

A building in that spot shows up in aerials right up to 1953 but is gone by 1960 before the big Roach Studios demolition in 1963.

historicaerials.com

I can't find a later more side on aerial view to see if it was the same building throughout the period ... or any details on what it's use might have been.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:06 PM

I would never have guessed that the shape on my aerial was the same building, but I can't argue with your LAPL image. Great work, Noir_Noir.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 8:13 PM

I thought we might have seen this real estate office on NLA....(I tripled checked. We haven't)

eBay

My kingdom for anyone who can figure out where this little hut of a real estate office was located.

The reverse isn't much help.

for search purposes: January 10, 1911

Back in 2012 I posted this Miramonte Park advertisement but there's no mention of an on-site office.

Quote:

The Pacific Monthly 1907

I checked my 1947 map and found a Miramonte Blvd. that runs from Slausen Ave. on the north to Firestone Blvd. (aka Manchester Blvd.) on the south. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sopas_ej and Gaylordwilshire followed up with. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas_ej

"I had a classmate/friend who lived in this area. He would always refer to it as Huntington Park, but actually it's Florence, an unincorporated LA County community.
He lived a street east of Miramonte, a street called Converse."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylordwilshire
Three blocks wide, running south from Slauson... alleys behind the lots, as indicated on Google maps... between Compton Ave and the Metro Blue Line.... I had to go look... and I'm wanting the taller gabled house at right to be the same one in the 1907 picture. The just-planted palms in that picture could be the soaring trees that line Miramonte today (the rows are much more intact behind the Google camera). This is Miramonte Blvd looking north from East 66th St.

I love the perennial hype of real estate ads... could you really see mountains from all the way down on 66th Street? And could you really get to downtown L.A. in 12 minutes?
See GW's comparison photo Here

I would still like to know where that hut was located.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 4, 2020 at 12:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos