HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post

As our electric bill is already $500/mo
WTF!?! how big is your house?

we have a 2,300 SF home, and we run our A/C all summer long. our unit is on the 1st floor/basement of our 3-flat in the city, and we don't feel comfortable leaving windows open overnight, so our A/C runs all night as well.

even at the height of summer in chicago, our highest elec. bill was ~$125/mo.

$500/mo seems outrageous to me. Have you had a technician inspect your HVAC recently to make sure everything is working ok?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 10:29 PM
E pluribus unum

I'm guessing that might have something to do with PG&E being assholes and possibly price gouging after declaring bankruptcy?

Hell, it's not unusual to have a $300+ a month electric bill in Phoenix from June to September. Central Valley and non-coastal California aren't that miserable, but it's still pretty damn hot for most of the summer.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:18 PM

$500 a month peak usage doesn't sound crazy in a hot area, at least not for a McMansion-type house. Or a really old house.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 11:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

a/c is bs. ive lived in all climates and never had it. we dont have it in nyc. my mother doesnt have it in fla. i just despise it. outside of home is a different story though unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 1:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
$500 a month peak usage doesn't sound crazy in a hot area, at least not for a McMansion-type house. Or a really old house.
yeah, i suppose, if you've got some 5,000 SF mcmansion, and it's over 100 degrees out everyday, and you live in an area like cali with expensive electricity......

i guess i just never really appreciated how expensive it can be to cool a home in really hot places. it can get hot in chicago at times as well, but most of the time in the summer here, you're just trying to get 85 degree air down to 75 degrees, not 105 degree air down to 75 degrees.

it was just some sticker shock when i read "$500/mo" for electricity. i've never even spent close to that for an entire summer.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 19, 2020 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:40 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Our house is huge but our bill is half that in the summer. My parents paid that for their old house in the winter with electric baseboards. That was astronomical.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 2:52 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, heating with electricity can get stupid expensive.

Which is why our home, like most of the Midwest, has a gas furnace. Even in January, the highest our gas bill gets up to is around $200 for the month.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:02 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

We have a 1.7 acre parcel with four people in three separate homes on it, and yeah--we are PG&E victims. The main house (where I live with my husband) has double-pane windows, 2" thick masonry walls, and we're putting a new roof on later this month with extra insulation. The other, much smaller homes are well insulated but have older appliances. The biggest waste comes from our need to keep the grass green (county mandated, to reduce the fire hazard) when the high temps regularly hit 112 degrees in full sunshine with wind. The electric pump pushing the well water out is working overtime and even when nobody is home for days it pushes the usage way up.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ oh, I didn't realize you were talking about a whole compound of homes.

5 hundo a month makes a lot more sense within that context.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 7:27 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

It's not as fancy as it sounds, this is a family summer vacation property presently serving as a COVID refuge. The main house is 2 bedrooms and the other two are small 1 bedrooms. Only the main house has AC. We lived here in late March when it got down to freezing at night, but we've never spent a whole Winter here. I suspect the gas heating won't cost $500 a month. I really hope not, anyway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions