HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:33 PM

[QUOTE=Tuckerman;8818094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The unique suburban skyline of Sunny Isles Beach with more 600+ footers than most big cities. More of a "resort town" than a "suburb"

Fortunately they have tall buildings - it will be easy to convert the entrances to boat docks at a later date
It would be the same issue for every city on a coast in the world and not uniquely a South Florida problem.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:59 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

sterile at street level, alas. Utterly bereft of pedestrians.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:23 AM
Never Dell

It might be too single-use residential for that...busier on the weekend than during the day maybe?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:24 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
sterile at street level, alas. Utterly bereft of pedestrians.
Canadian Dubai?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:22 AM

Well if those are recent, The Toronto CBD is dead during the day so I wouldn't expect Mississauga to have a soul in sight. The place is less than lively on the best of days.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Canadian Dubai?
perhaps. but with shittier weather (well at least the 6 months of the year when southern ontario is grey, grey, grey and grey.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:03 PM

Definitely soulless but I have to say- being built from ground up to this is pretty impressive. It will likely take a long time for it to stabilize and will never reach the same vibrancy as a mixed lot size neighborhood, but this is better than the nasty sprawl you see in Dallas for example.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Agreed. It beats towers-in-the-park suburban wastelands, but suffers from the same issue that all insta-cities suffer from: top-down, build-everything-at-once planning, and a lack of the diversity (in form) that most great cities have (yes, I know all about Haussmanian Paris...sometimes they get things right, but usually they are missing one or several key ingredients that make a fine urban fabric).

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Canadian Dubai?
I am going to assume you are an ignorant American because Dubai has tons of pedestrian traffic

Last edited by Nite; Oct 1, 2020 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:31 PM

Missisugua, Ontario

Alot more towers are coming to this part of Missisugua btw

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attachments/3-jpg.273227/

Last edited by Nite; Oct 1, 2020 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am pretty sure that the old souk in Dubai (which is very dense and pedestrianized) is miles away from the modern city centre (which is not), around the Burj Khalifa.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I am pretty sure that the old souk in Dubai (which is very dense and pedestrianized) is miles away from the modern city centre (which is not), around the Burj Khalifa.
And your point is? is it not Dubai because it's not near Burj Khalifa?. When we talk about density and pedestrian traffic should we omit the denses and most pedestrian parts of all cities?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:57 PM

Vaughan, Ontario

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I am going to assume you are an ignorant American because Dubai has tons of pedestrian traffic
So do you see any tall, glassy towers in the pics you included of Dubai? Do you see lots of new towers or anything that would have prompted the comparison between Mississauga and Dubai?

No, because it was blatantly obvious that Mississauga was being compared to the new skyscraper district of Dubai, for which the city is known, especially on a skyscraper themed site like this. You know, like here: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.1913...7i13312!8i6656

But good for you for going straight to the 'ignorant American' card. You really revealed yourself to be a man of culture and worldliness by completely missing the point. Check yourself before you look like an ass in the future

Last edited by edale; Oct 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:14 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
And your point is? is it not Dubai because it's not near Burj Khalifa?. When we talk about density and pedestrian traffic should we omit the denses and most pedestrian parts of all cities?
No need to get testy, unless you really would like to shut down commentary.

I travel around the world, and certainly most cities have bustling parts (Paris, Ile de la Cite) and sterile parts (Paris, La Defense). Pointing this out is not intended as a slight. It would be like taking a shot of Toronto's distillery district at a peak pedestrian period and comparing it to the comparatively sterile surroundings of La Defense on a weekend, and holding it up as an example that Paris lacks pedestrian vitality.

Also Buckeye is a longtime great contributor to SSP, and someone who is very far from being an "ignorant American"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:25 PM

Canada is good at getting suburban nodes built, but seems to be fairly terrible at making them attractive or interesting. I think it’s because they often choose a parking lot or a field next to an 8 lane highway as the starting point, instead of expanding upon an existing node with better bones. Building giant towers on large podiums doesn’t help either.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commentariat View Post
Canada is good at getting suburban nodes built, but seems to be fairly terrible at making them attractive or interesting. I think it’s because they often choose a parking lot or a field next to an 8 lane highway as the starting point, instead of expanding upon an existing node with better bones. Building giant towers on large podiums doesn’t help either.
Building around existing nodes would mean dealing with hundreds of existing single family home owners in one of the most expensive detached housing markets on the continent. It's not really a viable strategy to pay 50% over market for an entire subdivision to create a new high-rise node.

The strategy has been more to add density where it's viable and connect transit afterwards. Vaughan is never going to have a prewar commercial strip, and we're probably never going to be able to develop highrises along an inner-city corridor like College or Dundas. Unfortunately Western civilization pretty much lost the ability to build good urban environments from the ground up after 1960. An optimist would say that Mississauga has a chance to fill in the gaps among the large block podiums as time goes on. I think it needs a stronger guiding hand to avoid disastrous street-level missteps like the Absolute Towers.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commentariat View Post
To be fair to Missie, it's a bit mind-boggling that a suburb that previously was basically a shopping centre surrounded by thousands of homes sprawling to infinity, will eventually be home to dozens of scrapers rivalling most NA city skylines.

The mega $3.8 Billion (37 tower) Oxford development is easily the most important as it tries to bring some of the first "real urbanism" to these burbs, as opposed to all the tower/podiums scattered about (nice curvy ones though).

Oxford's development

UT

And we sometimes forget that the south-eastern edge of the city is on the lake, another area under-going enormous change like this:

Port Credit’s Bright Water - approved and proposed elements of the $2-billion (3,000-residential-unit project),
include sixty seven acres of land to the city for parks, open space, cultural, and institutional uses.

Eye candy

Link

Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 5:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

Not a fan of the instant downtowns (often missing the commercial component), but I'm glad that for the most part suburban development in the GTA hasn't been concentrated on traditional nodes. They are generally the most interesting parts of the suburbs, and actually have a decent urban fabric, even if it is scaled to a smallish Ontario town instead of a city of several hundred thousand. That being said there is still room for intensification in these areas - which is happening - just not massive towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions